THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    240 H&H Flanged Barrel Length???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

240 H&H Flanged Barrel Length???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
Not trying to be argumentative, but the barrel life on the .240 H&H (.240 Apex) is quite good. It's the .244 H&H mag where barrel life is very short. When I had my .240 H&H built, I has a .243 caliber bore in the barrel instead of the .245 it originated with due to better availabilities of bullets.

Mike

Mike

Why is it that all the 240's i've seen have well worn bores - both in Doubles and Bolt Actions ?

500N,

My guess would be that they were very old and very well-utilized rifles. The ballistics on the .240 H&H (.240 Apex) is almost identical to the .243 Win, with MV @2900 and ME @1865 with a 100gr bullet.

Now the .244 H&H is another story. This cartridge has been notorious for extremely short barrel life; and I would stay away from one of those old guns for that reason unless you don't mind rebarreling.

A few years ago I went a little crazy and decided I wanted a collection of bolt rifles in Holland & Holland cartridges. I really like the Interarms Mark X actions, so I bought 3 rifles chambered in .243, .300winmag, and .30-06, sent them off to a good gunsmith, and had them rebarreled with match grade barrels in .240 H&H, .275H&H, and .300 H&H. I already owned a Whitworth in .375 H&H, so I had my four gun collection.

These are all very beautiful rifles with great wood and metal work, and they shoot great.

Sold the .300H&H, still have the others. I've lost interest in bolt guns, so I've got all of them up for sale.

That .240H&H is in a full-stock version and is a real beauty.

I had to purchase custom reamers for the .240H&H and the .275H&H, so if anyone wants to build a gun in one of those calibers, you're welcome to borrow the reamers.

I also had to order custom brass for both those calibers. Unfortunately, they're both belted cartridges, so might not be preferred for a double.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
So what barrel length would you go with on a small-frame double?

24"

or

26"

I was leaning towards 26" but it was suggested that 24" would be more proportional.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:

24"
or
26"

I was leaning towards 26" but it was suggested that 24" would be more proportional.

It's all relative to what you build the rifle on and / or a trade off of length versus balance and velocity.

I would think you would want to make sure you don't lose any velocity ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

24"
or
26"

It's all relative to what you build the rifle on and / or a trade off of length versus balance and velocity.

I would think you would want to make sure you don't lose any velocity ?

If built on a 28 gauge-size action?

Again, in my mind it wasn't even a question - 26" barrel length and the balance could be accomplished as it was built.

But, it was suggested that 24" would be more proportional given the small action size.

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Anyone have photos they could post of a small-action, small caliber double with 26" barrels?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
One of my pet peeves has always been that nobody ever came out with a 243 Winchester with a flanged case, no other changes! A little 7.5- 8 pound, side-by-side double rifle with 24” barrels one in ten twist would be one of the best deer rifle ever built. Good, well regulated, iron sights with the standing sight files dead on at 100 yards, and two flip-ups one for 200 yards, and the other for 300 yards, and a quality Quick detach scope base and rings for a Trigicon 1-5 scope.

I’ve thought seriously of building one using the 307 Win simi-rimmed case sized in a 243 Win die so the case would simply be a simi-rimmed 243 Win for use in a double. Both the 243 Win and the 308 Win are based on the same case, but I would rather have a truly “FLANGED case than the simi-rimmed case for better extraction/ejection in a double.
The 243 Win is my all time favorite cartridge under 338 for North America , and with a rimmed case, in a double rifle it would be the nuts, for woods or cross canyon deer hunting...

Mac, what are your thoughts on the 6X62R?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 500N. I'd go with the length that was best ballistically.

I don't have a small frame rifle, but several years ago I bought a 20 bore Francotte hammer gun that has a very small action and I didn't realize it had factory 24" tubes until I got home. A bit unusual, but with the slender barrels and small frame it looks fine. (Fooled me!) IMO, either the 24" or 26" barrels would look great on the 28 ga frame. Anything LONGER would look disproportional. I also have a 30" 28 ga that feels great but to my eye looks sorta weird.

Just one more opinion!

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
OK 26" barrels it is

Anyone have photos of doubles with black actions? If so, I'd love to see them.

Also, photos of A.Henry style stock?

Just getting my ideas lined up Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on Holland 240 Apex.

Some doubles should come up.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do a search on Holland 240 Apex.

Some doubles should come up.

Thanks! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
240 Apex will probably bring up Bolt Guns, try 240 Flanged or 240H&H Flanged.

I am sure some have been sold by the auction houses but they just
don't seem to come up in Google searches.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK 26" barrels it is

Anyone have photos of doubles with black actions? If so, I'd love to see them.

Also, photos of A.Henry style stock?

Just getting my ideas lined up Wink

doc

this should give you an idea

the stock style is typical of the black powder area, which were the best stock styling in my book, if you look at the hand area you will see that the hand is perfectly rounded to give you a lot better control when you shoot the gun.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Peter.

Beautiful doubles beer

What are the barrel lengths on those two?