Find
Notify
Tools

Dad-gum Do-it-all
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
What do you folks think about this gun? I know it is weird, but if you really could own one firearm????

A gun for all seasons?

Perhaps you could add a beer tap, a roll out awning and a cook stove... maybe some bicycle wheels and be totally self-sufficient for all your living needs.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG
I have actually handled that exact gun.
It feels very good. If it was a 20x20x9,3x74R I would probably have already bought it.
If I did not have my Chapuis 9,3 and still knew what I know about the 9,3 I would buy it no doubt.
That would be just the gun for the civet, gennet, caracal, honeybadger etc.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Tony:

Does it point well? What is the weight and does it have the "normal" Blaser scope mounting system/base? Does it have the Blaser rubber stuff between barrels?

And finally... Got a turkey yet?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't been turkey hunting yet.
It does not have any ribs between the bbls.
It does take the regular Blaser mounts.
It seems very well ballanced.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Life is just too damn short to be seen carrying an ugly gun! Hell. that thing makes a Savage 24 look like a custom gun! animal

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac, It ain't that bad.

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
But Mac, look who'd be carrying it...
No one would ever get to the gun after being thunderstruck with my handsomeness.

Take a look at the website at Blaser 99
and maybe you'll change your mind... especially after looking at me!

After all, with a new stock, cocking system, trimmer action.. we (both me and the gun) would both look o.k... clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Mac, It ain't that bad.

Yes, it does look that bad!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JudgeG
Exactly what type of game/hunting do you want a combination gun for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like they got the barrels mounted upside down.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe your "double" is a drilling

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I think the Germans call two rifle barrels and one shotgun something else.... maybe a "dubblerifleanshotgunanwagenflaggen"?

one of us
posted Hide Post
"doppelbuschdrilling"

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Drilling=three barrels, usually one rifle and one smoothbore but sometimes reversed. Most have the third barrel on the bottom as I recall.

Vierling=more that three barrels in general terminology though I don't think that's a direct translation. I've seen photos of a four barrel gun, all rifle cartridges. Real headache to regulate BTW. It weighed less than 8 pounds.

I don't care a whit for the stock design common on the Heym and Blaser guns, mostly a European(read: Teutonic) iteration, if only for the esthetics. However, I've come to own a few Yurp guns and only because I have not handled those mentioned above I save judgement until such time. The English, Belgian and German doubles, Cape guns and Drillings I've fondled have handled like a dream for the most part, only those obviously intended for much smaller statured individuals failing that test. Don't be too quick to dismiss their craftmanship however odd it may appear. They are way ahead of US manufacturers with that class of arm, both in fit and function. Heavier weight arms seem lighter, balance and point better, and not least, they don't tend to hurt you with large bore chamberings.

One may think the Savage O/U combo guns more appealing to the eye...but I gotta object. They are an interesting idea that will never rise to the surface until Savage cleans them up and stops trying to market them to Po Folks. The idea of a "quality" double selling cheaply is an oxymoron.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 rifle bbls one shotgun bbl ,in English, Double Rifle Drilling.