Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeljko:
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
I don't know Zeljko, but before we throw him under the bus, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's very easy for someone who doesn't have extensive experience in the double rifle world to get caught up in the "sales speak" from whatever company. I thought he was just looking for info and not trying to promote Rigby.

I may be fooled, but I'm willing to accept that at face value.

Nevertheless, we all know the quality and ethics of Butch Searcy, and that is undisputable.

With all the craze for "English Doubles", and I know that craze personally, it's easy to get sucked into stuff that just isn't what it seems.

Dear sir,

allow me to correct several false statements you made.

Nobody was throwing me under the bus, or making any derogatory comments, so I don't know what are you referring to.
You seem to have reading comprehension problem, which is usually eliminated in second grade.

I didn't say anything bad about Mr. Searcy, as I hold him and his work in very high regard. He is an example of how gunmakers should conduct their business, and I am very impressed by his company and him personally. I hope to visit his factory someday and talk to him personally.

I didn't promote Rigby in any way, as I have no reason of to do so. On the contrary, reading between the lines, you could understand I did not like Mr. Porter very much, as he was very rude and insulting, snobbish, and unwilling to back up his claims by actual explanation of facts. Putting that aside, it is a very poor business practice to call competitors "a piece of shit", as it reflects on you as a poor mannered man. Courtesy is contagious.

I think that in a niche market of high cost products such as double rifles, being bought by enthusiasts who are knowledgeable, explanation "Internally it isn't the same" or "It isn't made properly", just doesn't cut it.

Well, after completing the first part of any post on this forum, which consists of correcting false claims other people say you made, or thought you may have meant, allow me to get to the point.

This was a technical question about action and material mechanical properties. I didn't make a claim, I asked I question for more knowledgeable people to explain. Mt. Searcy explained in detail, with a photo for us, who don't know all gun terms in English, and completely lived up to his reputation as an expert, and a man who stands behind his products and claims. I tip my hat. This is the reason why I would always go to such a man to get my rifle instead of a company that says "we are the best" but wont even publish where their guns are made, let alone who makes them. (P.s. Some parts of today's Hollands are made in Ferlach)

Once more: This was and objective and technical question. Not a question who is a better quality man, or who would you prefer to drink your beer with.

Best regards and a little present for you Mr. MDStewart:

http://havefunteaching.com/wor...ehension-worksheets/

Wow!! Eeker Talking about having a reading comprehension problem! MDStewart was defending you in the case anyone had possibly misinterpreted your OP. But I'm thinking MDStewart's suggestion to give you the benefit of the doubt might be rescinded post haste! coffee

posted Hide Post
Defending me from what?
A non existing misinterpretation that didn't and would not exist using condescending tone?
Gee, thanks.

Well,I obviously overstayed my welcome on this forum.
Best of luck to you gentleman in your inbreeding and backing each others posts no matter what, against first posters or new guys.

If you didn't know, a man can be wrong in his 1000th post as well as right in his 1st.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Defending me from what?
A non existing misinterpretation that didn't and would not exist using condescending tone?
Gee, thanks.

Well,I obviously overstayed my welcome on this forum. Best of luck to you gentleman in your inbreeding and backing each others posts no matter what, against first posters or new guys.

If you didn't know, a man can be wrong in his 1000th post as well as right in his 1st.

As Curly Bill would say:

Well ... Bye!!

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Defending me from what?
Gee, thanks.

Well,I obviously overstayed my welcome on this forum. Best of luck to you gentleman in your inbreeding and backing each others posts no matter what, against first posters or new guys.

As Curly Bill would say:

Well ... Bye!!

LOL

Talk About

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeljko

Man up (as in HTFU), you will need a thicker skin
than that if you want to survive forums !!!

(If you don't know what HTFU means, Google it)

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Defending me from what?
Gee, thanks.

Best of luck to you gentleman in your inbreeding and backing each others posts no matter what, against first posters or new guys.

What a dick!

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry if I misinterpreted what the OP either meant or was mis-perceived to post. I was only looking out for him, hoping to keep him as a member of this forum.

I would suggest to him, either keep reading or register under another name, and come back with the understanding that there are folks on here who have forgotten more about guns and hunting that I have obtained in my 53 years.

There's so much to be learned here, with the best around the world posting here, it would be a shame to leave because of my misintrepretation of what might have been.

I sincerely hope you will find a way to stay on this forum.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
What a dick!

+1

Zeljko, get a life and chill out! The guys here are trying to be helpful.

(PS - MDStewart, you're way too kind)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Defending me from what?
Gee, thanks.

I wonder how long it would take an experienced doctor of proctology to extract that cob that's stuck up this guys ass?

one of us
posted Hide Post
mdstewart, despite the downhill slide of this thread, it was gentlemanly of you to side with zel whatever his name is. It is a pity that he did not understand this. However, several others did!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentelman on the IWA exibition gave me a card that says:
Kent R. Porter,
John Rigby & Co.,
200 Crescent Court, Dallas, TX.

He was very secretive about his workshop, and derogatory towards other Rigby firms and Searcy in particular.
He said the Rigby archive and records are in his office, and they are the only lawful Rigby, because Paso Robles is defunct, and the other, London based one, he called "Squatters".

They had a few bolt guns in the white, a few double guns, and a really beautiful Jones screw grip which he would let me touch only in the wooden stand. I wanted to see first hand how that action feels in the hands, but I will have to wait for a new opportunity, I guess.

The gentleman also said he is the one who posted the AutoCad drawings on NitroExpress forum, and that he regularly participates on that forum.

This is the thread:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com...r=220983&an=0&page=0

quote:
quote:
I don't know Zeljko, but before we throw him under the bus, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's very easy for someone who doesn't have extensive experience in the double rifle world to get caught up in the "sales speak" from whatever company. I thought he was just looking for info and not trying to promote Rigby.

I may be fooled, but I'm willing to accept that at face value.

Dear sir,

allow me to correct several false statements you made.

Nobody was throwing me under the bus, or making any derogatory comments, so I don't know what are you referring to.
You seem to have reading comprehension problem, which is usually eliminated in second grade.

I didn't say anything bad about Mr. Searcy, as I hold him and his work in very high regard. He is an example of how gunmakers should conduct their business, and I am very impressed by his company and him personally. I hope to visit his factory someday and talk to him personally.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
mdstewart, despite the downhill slide of this thread, it was gentlemanly of you to side with zel whatever his name is. It is a pity that he did not understand this. However, several others did!
Peter.

Gentlemen I can’t understand why everyone is beheading the messenger, Zeljko ! The way I read his posts he is simply trying to get information from the members here to determine if Mr. Porter is the real McCoy or is just a big wind coming from an empty cave!

Kent R. Porter,
John Rigby & Co.,
200 Crescent Court, Dallas, TX.

Does anyone know Mr. Porter or have seen any of the so called PROPER rising bite doubles he is supposed to be making? If not don’t you think we are being rather unfair to Zeljko He simply misunderstood the distain for the actions of Mr. Porter as pointed at him?

Zeljko, don’t leave Accurate Reloading because of this misunderstanding. This is a top notch place to speak to about 1000 years of combined knowledge where double rifles and in fact all types of hunting rifles are concerned! If you leave the loss will be in your pocket, not the rank and file here!

.......................................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zildo...

You have a great future here.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
I heard from a very reliable source last week that the group that controls Blaser, Mauser, etc, now has obtained the rights to both Rigby USA and Rigby London. All Rigby operations will be moved back to London; but what does that really mean? Like Biebs said, the real Rigby is gone forever. Nothing wrong with folks like Butch or any other custom maker to build copies that emulate the glory of the Riby days and allure. With the exceptions of David McKay Brown, Holland & Holland for the most part, and perhaps a few other custom makers, the British gun trade is in name only, out-sourcing components and barrels not just to builders in Britain, but to companies all over to include Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, etc.

The glory days of British guns are over. So if you want one of the glory guns, get it now while you can and take care of it.

I spoke with one of the folks who helped move Rigby's property down to Blaser. Wish I could have seen all the old "Royal Warrants" that were included in the deal!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the exceptions of David McKay Brown, Holland & Holland for the most part, and perhaps a few other custom makers, the British gun trade is in name only, out-sourcing components and barrels not just to builders in Britain, but to companies all over to include Italy, Spain, Turkey, France, etc.

France's Chanel group have owned Holland and Holland for many years. There still are British owned gunmakers - Boss is owned by the Halseys who also own Heckler und Koch, W W Greener are owned by graham Greener, and there are many smaller gunmakers like William Evans, Charles Hellis, Holloway and Naughton and some newer names who are British. If you want shotguns only, Longthorne are a fantastic new gunmaker.

Agree completely about the "name" issue. No name is going to kill an animal or bird more efficiently. If a gun is made well - whether this is in the USA, in Britain, or in any other country, that is all that matters.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When the gunshop looks like a jewellery store or high end clothing store from the outside(or inside-or its web site) it is time to walk away.The only way to tell if a gun is made well is to shoot it often.Behind every great gun there is a maker-a passionate individual with a good brain and plenty of shooting experience.Not a group of investors.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
with a good brain and plenty of shooting experience

Obviously, you fail to qualify on both accounts...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
with a good brain and plenty of shooting experience

Obviously, you fail to qualify on both accounts...

jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Now that the Rigby name is owned by the Blaser/Mauser/Sauer&Sohn group, I hope they will start to offer the 416 Rigby chambering in these rifles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote