THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Ghost Ring Rear Sight On A Double?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ghost Ring Rear Sight On A Double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have reached the golden years where many parts of your body don't have the "git up and go" they used to, particularly my eyes. While I realize the fit of the rifle leads to good point and shoot properties, these 60+ year old eyes would benefit from a ghost ring rear sight. Has anyone had this installed on their double? If so, by whom and did you like it? I have a Searcy 470 I have in mind for the installation. I haven't had a chance to talk to Butch yet about it but plan to this week.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LJS,
I'm fast aproaching 63, and like you, my eyes don't focus as well as they once did. I have 2 doubles, one a rifle, and one a cape gun, that I use for deer hunting. I have mounted ghost rings on both and can tell you that they work wonderfully. Quick, accurate, and no squinting

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Ron, could you post a picture of how you mounted the ghost ring? Did it go where the express sight was, or is it closeer to the breech?

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen aperture sights mounted on Westley Richards doubles. Flip up as I recall. I always thought they were pretty cool.

Posts: 40 | Location: Back in the USAAAA!!!!! | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen a couple of different Ghost ring and peep sights on double rifles. One 470 had a flip, up ghost ring on the action in front of the lever. I have also seen them mounted on the rear of the rib, close to the action.
It I was going to use the ghost ring as my primary sight I would want it mounted permently up on the back of the rib. It will probably be necessary to remove the standard rear sight. I would have J.J. Perodeau at Champlin Arms make an insert to fill in the spot where the rear sight was removed.
Depending on the calibre of my double I would consider having a scope in claw mounts installed at the same time.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order to be as effective as possible, a ghost ring should be mounted as close to the eye as possible. In my case, I drilled and tapped two 6-48 screw holes in the very rear of the rib.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 348srfun
posted Hide Post
I solved the problem on my 348 win O/U with a peep sight installed in a dovetail cut in the rear portion of the rifle's rib. I have attached a (very poor) photo to try to show this. This sight is made from a high quality open rear sight that has been drilled, filed and bent to shape after a lot of measuring. I retained windage adjustment by using the dovetail. Elevation was adjusted with a new front sight blade. With the exception of the rear rib, everything you are working on is cheap. Be careful with the dovetail cut or you will ruin the looks of the whole rifle. You can make a temporary rear peep out of plastic and glue on to get the correct placement, hole size and elevation.
The sight turned out simple and strong.

Charlie
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL782/4063224/8686882/129631477.jpg

Charlie
Measure twice, cut once

Posts: 25 | Location: S E Georgia | Registered: 11 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
I have reached the golden years where many parts of your body don't have the "git up and go" they used to, particularly my eyes. While I realize the fit of the rifle leads to good point and shoot properties, these 60+ year old eyes would benefit from a ghost ring rear sight. Has anyone had this installed on their double? If so, by whom and did you like it? I have a Searcy 470 I have in mind for the installation. I haven't had a chance to talk to Butch yet about it but plan to this week.

I (somehow) managed to talk Butch into (modifying) and installing a Tally peep sight into single Tally scope mounting dovetail He machined into the quarter rib on my PH in 500NE. He simply installed a taller front bead so the the peep sight arriignment is taller than the rear express sight.

Putting the original front bead back on and removing the peep allows the use of the "stock" express sights.

Roi

P.S. I'm 63 and it works GREAT :-) for me.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone post a few pitcures??

Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roi

I talked to Butch today and he is skeptical a ghost ring can be made to work on an existing rifle. On a gun being constructed no problem. Your idea may be the best.
If anyone is considering a Searcy get moving! Butch said he is back ordered 51 rifles and is quoting 14 to 16 months!

LJS

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Roi

I talked to Butch today and he is skeptical a ghost ring can be made to work on an existing rifle. On a gun being constructed no problem. Your idea may be the best.
If anyone is considering a Searcy get moving! Butch said he is back ordered 51 rifles and is quoting 14 to 16 months!

LJS

LJS,

Too bad I wasn't able to get the information to you before your gun was done. Butch at first didn't like the idea of a peep, but I kept after him and He relented with the dual sight compromise.

He's a hell of a nice guy (AND a business man) who is willing to do his best for his customers. You might see if he might have an alternate idea for peep/ghost ring mounting. Just don't tell him I said to keep bugging him. Wink

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote