THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Alexander Henry 450/400 3-1/4" NE Double Rifle joins the family
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alexander Henry 450/400 3-1/4" NE Double Rifle joins the family
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted

Hello All.

This is my first Alexander Henry Double rifle, and my second 450/400 3-1/4".

I listed the pictures as they appeared in the Julia Auction about 5 years ago because they are better than anything I could do with my camera.

This rifle was built in May of 1919 as listed on page 318 in the book "Alexander Henry, Rifle Maker" - D/H/L/R (double hammerless rifle) A&D (Anson & Deeley boxlock)

The auction description lists all the pertinent details.I can't wait to get to the range to see how this one performs.

I'd be curious to hear what people think the value would be. I really don't know because I swapped 2 Sabatti Double Rifles to acquire it.

As always, your comments are welcome.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! enjoy taking it to the field

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Sweet rifle. Let us see pictures as you sight in and hopefully blood it. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
buckstix,
You have done it again Smilerthat is a sweet rifle tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
That rifle is beautiful. The lines on it are just about perfect in my opinion for a DR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a screw-grip Webley action, always a very good start. The rifle was in all probability made for Henry by Webley & Scott.

The proofmarks will be for 60 grains of cordite.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love it.

You got a great deal.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice. Hope you enjoy shooting that sweetie.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildmansix:
Nice rifle! enjoy taking it to the field

Hello wildmansix.
Thanks for the reply.
I'll take it to the range tomorrow.

quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
Sweet rifle. Let us see pictures as you sight in and hopefully blood it. Packy

Hello packrattusnongratus.
Thanks for the reply.
Pictures will follow.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
buckstix,
You have done it again Smilerthat is a sweet rifle tu2

Hello Bill73.
Thanks for the reply.
I like the looks of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
That rifle is beautiful. The lines on it are just about perfect in my opinion for a DR.

Hello Todd Williams.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, it really has that English Look.

quote:
Originally posted by jvw375:
That's a screw-grip Webley action, always a very good start. The rifle was in all probability made for Henry by Webley & Scott.

The proofmarks will be for 60 grains of cordite.

Hello jvw375.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, you are correct.

quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
I love it.

You got a great deal.

Hello Colin Masters.
Thanks for the reply.
I think I did. I'm pretty happy.

quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
Really nice. Hope you enjoy shooting that sweetie.

Hello mdstewart.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm sure I will.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice one, and seems like you got the best of the deal, especially if it shoots to point of aim. Did it come with any load data?

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Mr. Buckstix,

Wonderful acquisition. You and Mr. Pappas happy addictions my life can’t afford! It’s great seeing all of these classics.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, Buck.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swoobie:
Looks like a nice one, and seems like you got the best of the deal, especially if it shoots to point of aim. Did it come with any load data?

Hello swoobie,
Thanks for the reply.
There was no load data with this one. I had to start from scratch. As you can see below, I had a different approach in mind.

quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Mr. Buckstix,

Wonderful acquisition. You and Mr. Pappas happy addictions my life can’t afford! It’s great seeing all of these classics.

Hello DCS Member,
Thanks for the reply.
I try not to think about about the cost of my toys. I figure they will be my retirement income some day.

quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Nice rifle, Buck.
Cal

Hello cal papas,
Thanks for the reply.
Well, I finally finished working up a load for this old Alex Henry.

I experimented with a lighter than usual bullet weight, because I wanted to keep recoil to a minimum. There's no need to bash-the-heck out of this 100 year old classic, since I have another 450-400 3-1/4" that shoots great with the standard 400g bullet load. This 300g load has over 10 ft/lbs less recoil and is fun to shoot, all day long. I'm pretty happy with the final results.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:

Hello All.

This is my first Alexander Henry Double rifle, and my second 450/400 3-1/4".

I listed the pictures as they appeared in the Julia Auction about 5 years ago because they are better than anything I could do with my camera.

This rifle was built in May of 1919 as listed on page 318 in the book "Alexander Henry, Rifle Maker" - D/H/L/R (double hammerless rifle) A&D (Anson & Deeley boxlock)

The auction description lists all the pertinent details.I can't wait to get to the range to see how this one performs.

I'd be curious to hear what people think the value would be. I really don't know because I swapped 2 Sabatti Double Rifles to acquire it.

As always, your comments are welcome.

As I stated above, certainly a beautiful rifle. So please don't take my question as indiscreet.

I was wondering about the splinter forearm. Perfect in size and form. What all DRs should be fitted with instead of those ugly beavertails that found favor with the rifle type's uninitiated upon resurgence of DR popularity once ammo became available.

But is this fore-end the original to this rifle? The metal appears different from the action although it appears to fit perfectly. I see no evidence of CCH or patina. Also the engraving on the forearm appears more worn than the engraving on the action.

All that said, I'm not one of those purists that has to have matching numbers on a car to appreciate its beauty and function. Same with vintage rifles and the like. Just something I noticed and thought I would ask the question.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
As I stated above, certainly a beautiful rifle. So please don't take my question as indiscreet.

I was wondering about the splinter forearm. Perfect in size and form. What all DRs should be fitted with instead of those ugly beavertails that found favor with the rifle type's uninitiated upon resurgence of DR popularity once ammo became available.

But is this fore-end the original to this rifle? The metal appears different from the action although it appears to fit perfectly. I see no evidence of CCH or patina. Also the engraving on the forearm appears more worn than the engraving on the action.

All that said, I'm not one of those purists that has to have matching numbers on a car to appreciate its beauty and function. Same with vintage rifles and the like. Just something I noticed and thought I would ask the question.

Hello Todd Williams,
Thanks for the reply.
I believe it to be original. It is numbered to the gun. I have information about the History of the rifle coming from John Dickson. I will post the details when I get them.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
" ..... I have information about the History of the rifle coming from John Dickson. I will post the details when I get them. ....."

Well, here is the information I finally received from John Dickson. Its nice to have a photo-copy of the original 1919 ledger entry. Now all I have to do is to research for history about "A.McGregor, Esq.". Anyone ever hear of him?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! That is exact down to the stock(although in better shape) as my Wilkinson 470 made in 1922. I assumed it was a webley action but no one can confirm it but I’ll assume it is based on the fact it’s a clone of that rifle. Even the engraving. Congrats!

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Nice rifle! That is exact down to the stock(although in better shape) as my Wilkinson 470 made in 1922. I assumed it was a webley action but no one can confirm it but I’ll assume it is based on the fact it’s a clone of that rifle. Even the engraving. Congrats!

Hello gunslinger55,
Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any pictures of your rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can get some and I think I can figure out how to post. Be a bit I am out of town. Only differences I can see straight off are mine are 26” bbls. Also 3 folding leafs. I have a hooded front sight( hood flys off when I shoot it so I leave it off) and dolls head slightly different shape. Otherwise pretty darn close especially the stock with the tear drop motif at wrist. I have the sling hook mounts as well red pad very similar engraving and proof marks. I plan on bringing it to big bore shoot in Montana with my 505 if you are going

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a really nice classic. I hope it shoots well and you can hunt with it.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful rifle. I like the pistol grip design/shape and the long barrels. It should be steady to hold and nice to shoot. You seem to have done well. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3337 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote