THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    First Double Rifle - first question :-)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Double Rifle - first question :-)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
My (new to me) Merkel 140 has a one piece, tip off scope rings very similar to the Blaser tip offs. Mine require an Allen wrench - no QD levers but that is OK.

Question - where can I buy one of mounts that is picatinney rail instead of scope rings? I want to mount my Vortex holo sight (like an RMR)...

The setup is nice - I can see straight thru and use the iron sites or look up and use the scope...

Pretty sure this is the right mount: https://www.merkel-die-jagd.de...s/accessories/mount/

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Ha! I may have answered my one question! Out of curiosity, i tried putting the scope on one of my R8 barrels - perfect fit! I assume the mount Blaser uses is a standard mount for Euro rifles??

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Merkel mount fits a Blaser? interesting!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
A Merkel mount fits a Blaser? interesting!

Yep - dead nuts perfect fit....

Naturally the Trijicon RMR Blaser mount is out of stock till hell freezes over!!!

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
Maybe I missed it - what caliber is your Merkel? I like the idea of the red dot type of sight for quick acquisition. I have a factory detachable scope mount on my 470, for when my eyes get unable to see the open sights well. Only issue is that with a scope on there, I'm raising off the stock to see the crosshairs. The eye relief isn't all that great and the recoil is substantial. I worry about - but haven't yet - getting a scope ring tattoo put in place.

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I also love you quote by Robert A. Heinlein !!

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H T:
Maybe I missed it - what caliber is your Merkel? I like the idea of the red dot type of sight for quick acquisition. I have a factory detachable scope mount on my 470, for when my eyes get unable to see the open sights well. Only issue is that with a scope on there, I'm raising off the stock to see the crosshairs. The eye relief isn't all that great and the recoil is substantial. I worry about - but haven't yet - getting a scope ring tattoo put in place.

Mine is in 416 Rigby and has a scope mounted on it. The eye relief is pretty good and shooting off sticks I haven't come close to scoping myself yet :-). If I pop the scope off (QD mounts)I can still use the iron sights but utlimately would like to have a RMR sight setup for it..

My 50yd groups off sticks is less than 2" with Barnes 350gr TSX and Solids, which is about as good as I can shoot :-). At 100 yds off sticks I am inside 5" which again is mostly me I think but will kill anything I want to shoot at with it! Cant really see shooting out to 100yds with it in Africa very often...

I haven't shot it off the bench - really don't plan too LOL!

I still want to get a 470 or a 500 but since I can't get dies, brass or bullets right now I'm in no rush ....