THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Snowwolfe's Verney-Carron 450/400
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowwolfe's Verney-Carron 450/400
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
What a real beauty.

If he is ever interested in selling it, I'll have to buy it for my daughter who is, herself, a lefty.

Beautiful, built to customer's request and, per south paw's attestations and experience, built to last.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice!!!

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding piece, for sure.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the photos, would just like to add this is a Azur Safari Standard, the wood is NOT upgraded. It weighs 10 pounds even with 24 inch barrels, ejectors, flip up night sight, built in scope mount, and three leaf rear sight. If I had to do it over again would of dropped the 3 leaf. Should of listened to most of you guys from the start as it is something that will not see any use.

With some luck she will harvest a bull moose for me next month.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
shocker

OMG:

I have to say that is one of the finest looking rifles I have laid my eyes on in a very long time.

Congratulations and good hunting.

By the way, did you order this gun directly from the factory?

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, factory ordered thru Ken. Order was placed in October and rifle came in this week.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Thanks for posting the photos, would just like to add this is a Azur Safari Standard, the wood is NOT upgraded. It weighs 10 pounds even with 24 inch barrels, ejectors, flip up night sight, built in scope mount, and three leaf rear sight. If I had to do it over again would of dropped the 3 leaf. Should of listened to most of you guys from the start as it is something that will not see any use.

With some luck she will harvest a bull moose for me next month.

That is a beatuful rifle, but they screwed up and put the cheekpiece on the wrong side! Big Grin

Snowwolfe, don't discount the usfullness of those flip-ups! If they have been cut to numered ranges you need to try the rifle at those measured ranges, you may well be quite supprised to find they are very usefull for long shots on Caribou and wolf out on the tundra! If the loads are worked up properly the rifle should shoot to those ranges quite well! Smetimes you don't have time to mount the scope, or may not want to in a driving rain!

............................Congratulations Sir! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking rifle! I can't wait to see it (and shoot it Wink ) in person..

It's too nice to drag into the woods here. Save it for Oz or Africa!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful wood!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
That's a great looking rifle! I can't wait to see it (and shoot it Wink ) in person..

It's too nice to drag into the woods here. Save it for Oz or Africa!

Mike,
Just don't see Africa in my future anymore. Moose, grizzlies, black bear, and caribou will keep me grinning.
But I do think hog hunting in the lower 48 would be a blast. Nice as it is, it will be used. Scratches are just beauty marks in disguise.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
What can I say but WOW!! tu2 tu2 Very impressive!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Magnificent!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW, that really is nice, and as i'm also a lefty, i'd love to own it!

If you decide to sell your Chapuis, let me know what you want for it, as i think it would fit me just fine.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Did you request the thin pad? It looks very nice and is somewhat appropriate on a lighter recoiling double. NOTE, I did NOT say, nor did I intend to say on a "Lady's" gun! Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Looks awesome! Congrats again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Did you request the thin pad? It looks very nice and is somewhat appropriate on a lighter recoiling double. NOTE, I did NOT say, nor did I intend to say on a "Lady's" gun! Big Grin

Did not request it. That was VC's choice and it seems to be a good one. Will find out tomorrow how it shoots.

Compared against a 7.3 pound Chapuis 9,3 with a wood butt plate I am thinking recoil might be less than the Chapuis. Only negative so far is the comb appears to be about 1/4 inch to high but tomorrow and 20 rounds will tell me for sure how my cheek likes it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell that is very nice indeed.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot it too much if your wing isn't healed up that good..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Don't shoot it too much if your wing isn't healed up that good..

Exactly.

In fact, send it to me and I will shoot it plenty for you. I'll work up loads and with any projectile you want. tu2

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, that is about this nicest looking wood I've seen on a double. If that is "standard" they have very high standards indeed!

Very well done, and be sure to give us a detailed report after you get that moose. Smiler

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it regulated with scope on or off? Will be interested in seeing if there is any difference as I am considering having mounts put on my VC 450-400.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
What kind of wood is on the gun? ie. Turkish, American, etc.

What is the pistol grip cap made of?

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pistol grip cap is metal. Ken would be a better person to ask about the wood as I do not know. I believe it was regulated with scope off. I had the scope mounting base added "just in case".
Easier to add it while it is being built than later.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First trip to the range today. Was shooting resting my elbows on a padded bench. Load was Jamison brass, Fed 215, 80 grains of IMR 4831 and 400 grain DGX with a light crimp.

Load was crossing by about 3 inches at 50 yards and was shooting 9-10 inches high. Not what I was expecting. Using the front bead "night sight" only lowered point of impact by an inch.
Next trip out will try 76 grains of IMR4831 and 80 grains of H4831. Hornady factory load is supposed to be 81.5 grains of H4831.

Not sure why the rifle is shooting so high as I am using the same technique I do with the Chapuis and the Searcy. Last thing I want to do is to file down the rear sights as this would require me to push my cheek down even more. Higher front sight might be needed.

Comb is a tad high but recoil on my cheek is tolerable. Recoil is closer to my 11 pound 450 NE Searcy than it is to the 7.2 pound Chapuis 9,3.

One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Sights may have been filed in for a 6 o'clock hold? Where was your aim point?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To my eye that is some of the nicest wood I have ever seen. I can hardly believe it is standard grade.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowolfe

Just a suggestion re the loads you take to the range for a first time shoot with a new DR that you haven't shot before.

This is because I have seen comments on here about how far people have to drive to shoot.

Anyway, with a new DR that I have to shoot, I load up 2 or normally 4 rounds in each load, so in your case I'd go 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 and 80. Sometimes I just do even numbers at the lower end where I know going up 2 grains won't be too hot. I might do this with 2 powders as you are doing.

By starting at the lower end, see where it shoots then go up, you can see what the rifle does every time the load changes.

So at the end of the range seesion, you have a pretty good idea what is going on and how "sensitive" the gun is to a change in powder load - by this I mean you can see the bullets "come together" as the velocity is increased - HOPEFULLY !!! We all know what DR's are like !!! LOL Big Grin

Anyway, hope that helps.

Also, I thought for safety reasons the general rule of thumb was drop back 10% if working a new gun or a new component in a load which isn't the case with your "and 80 grains of H4831. Hornady factory load is supposed to be 81.5 grains of H4831."

Just an observation.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vagrouser:
Sights may have been filed in for a 6 o'clock hold? Where was your aim point?

Bottom of the front bead rests on the V. Top of the front bead is held at 6 oclock on the bottom of the bullseye. Rifle then shoots the bullets 8-10 inches higher than the bottom of the bull. Same technique I use for all my iron sighted weapons.
Be interesting to see what happens when the load is reduced because with my Searcy reducing the load to stop the crossing raised the point of impact which worked out perfectly.

500N, that is some good advice and I am going to follow it even though my range is only 10 miles away. Will drop the loads another 4 grains and start from there. Come to think of it, I made the same mistake with both my Searcy and Chapuis, first trip to the range with each and loads crossed.
Thank you

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was shooting resting my elbows on a padded bench.

Load was crossing by about 3 inches at 50 yards and was shooting 9-10 inches high.

Snowwolfe,

Even though this bench technique works with the others, why not take a few shots freehand before changing anything?

I'm sure you, just as most here, have far more experience than I with doubles so the following is based upon what I have read here and elsewhere:

The only thing that is supposed to support the double is you.
The only thing that is supposed to support you, is you.
The only deviation being you can rest he back of your non dominant hand as it wraps around the forend and barrels on a standing rest as long as the rest does not restrain the free movement of the that hand and barrels.

If it were me with that problem, I would first give it a few shots off hand before doing a single thing different. Even if the technique works with my other rifles.

Just my $0.02

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Was shooting resting my elbows on a padded bench.

Load was crossing by about 3 inches at 50 yards and was shooting 9-10 inches high.

Snowwolfe,

Even though this bench technique works with the others, why not take a few shots freehand before changing anything?

I'm sure you, just as most here, have far more experience than I with doubles so the following is based upon what I have read here and elsewhere:

The only thing that is supposed to support the double is you.
The only thing that is supposed to support you, is you.
The only deviation being you can rest he back of your non dominant hand as it wraps around the forend and barrels on a standing rest as long as the rest does not restrain the free movement of the that hand and barrels.

If it were me with that problem, I would first give it a few shots off hand before doing a single thing different. Even if the technique works with my other rifles.

Just my $0.02

Absolutely golden advice! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
It's a beautiful rifle. You'll get the proper load figured out soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Randy. That is just a beautiful rifle. If I come back to Anchorage again next year, maybe I can meet you and Mike at the range.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, sounds like a plan! Just drop either of us a PM.
Will take the sticks out next trip and give them a whirl over the bench. Always open to advice, but with my Chapuis and Searcy POI never changed when going from bench to sticks to offhand. When shooting from the bench the rifle is touching nothing but my shoulder and hands.

Nothing is impossible, get the right load for regualtion then if she still shoots to high will have to get VC to make a higher front sight. Easy fixes and just takes a little time and patience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AYE CHIHUAHUA that's pretty! Congratulations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would like to meet you there to. Kurt

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kurt,
We will get together next summer.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

My VC was regulatd with Kynoch 400 gr, though the target does not indicate solids or softs and Ken has not been able to find out from the factory. Based on her behavior I think she was regulated with solids. DXG and Woodie softs crossed for me also, and by about the same amount. I was also able to get the DGX to regulate pretty well at 50 and 100 with 79 gr H4831SC. No crossing at 50 and pretty much overlapping groups at 100 yds - certainly more than adequate for the rifles intended purpose. Haven't gone back to try the Woodie softs yet. 71 gr H4350 and Woodie solids are beautiful at around 2" at 100 yds and no crossing. Northfork CPS are absolutely awesome in my rifle and 79 gr H4831SC gives me around 2" at 100 yards and no crossing. Oh yeh, I can't see open sights good enough anymore to do any better than 2" at 100 yards and even then I figure it's just a fluke! I was a little frustrated at first, but had gone thought the same thing with a Heym 470 that was regulated with Romey solids. Eventually we came to an understanding. Same for the VC. You will find what she likes and remember, part of the fun of doubles is their quirks and going through the development process. Enjoy.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
So guys, I take it it's safe to shoot NF softs and solids through doubles if I can get them to regulate? My 450 VC will be regulated (at my request) with factory Hornady stuff.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
So guys, I take it it's safe to shoot NF softs and solids through doubles if I can get them to regulate? My 450 VC will be regulated (at my request) with factory Hornady stuff.

When I asked V-C directly, I was told that it was safe to use Barnes Banded Solids in their doubles without worry. I would assume (if such assumptions have any value whatsoever) that NorthFork's banded solids would be equally safe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another trip to the range today and decided to start really low.
74 grains of H4831, Fed 215, Hornady 400 DGX.
Shot eight rounds and all eight crossed by about three inches and were 7-8 inches high.
Still have some more playing around to do but at this point am thinking the rifle was not regulated with Hornady ammo as requested, the barrels are exceptionly "fast", or something is amiss with the rifle.
Will post more information after another range trip, hopefully tomorrow.