THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Your Choice of Calibers for your double rifle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Choice of Calibers for your double rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys,

I'm ordering a new double rifle to be made for me by a friend who makes doubles out of quality german shotguns. He made me a 45-70 a few years back and I absolutely love it.

Now I'm considering another and was thinking of getting it in 30-30. However, before I finalize my order with him, I thought I would ask what your thoughts were on other rimeed cartridges that I might consider for this new double rifle.

So, what do you think?

What caliber or calibers would you consider if you wanted a new double?

Thanks for your time!!

Take Care!

Posts: 29 | Location: US | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the 7x57R or the 7x65R

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
What are you going to use it for?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
What are you going to use it for?

Exactly...no use in saying something like a 470 or 500 NE if you don't plan to use it on anything needing that kind of stopping power.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I would look at the .303 British or if you wanted a little more horsepower maybe the .300 Super Flanged i.e. 300 H&H rimmed if you are staying in the .30 caliber. Although the 9.3x74 seems fairly popular and I can even find ammo for it where I live.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Guys,

I forgot to mention what I was going to use it for. I will probably never have the money it takes to travel to Africa and hunt game there, so I will use this gun to hunt North American game the size of deer.

Now I already have a 45-70 that shoot great and I love hunting with it. If we all had to choose just one gun and caliber, that would be mine.

But now I'm itching for a new one and thought I would go for a 30-30 since factory ammo is readily available anywhere in America, and it is cheap to reload and can kill anything I would want to shoot with it inside 100 yards.

So, before I finalize my order with my friend in Wisconsin, I wanted to check with you guys to see what your thoughts are on calibers.

I looked at the 7x57R, the 8x57R, the 9.3x74R (which is one of my favorites), and the 450/400 (which is overkill for anything I would want to hunt in NA).

So now that I've shared all of this, what do you guys think?

Your opinions are important to me and I truly do appreciate all your time and input.

Take Care!!

Posts: 29 | Location: US | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
My first inclination would be the old .303, then the 30/30.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
You already have a 45-70, which packs a hell of a punch and if used correctly, can shoot to 200 mteres. The 30-30 pretty much does the same thing so I'm thinking you would be doubling up. My first thought was also the venerable 303. It is still easily available anywhere. There is tons of loading data and projectiles everywhere and, if you do make it to Africa, you can still use it for hunting. As well, 303 will take anything on the North American continent. Lastly, for the sake of nostalgia, the 303 would be perfect. It is such a classic in a double.

Regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
303 +2

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
9.3X74R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I like the 303 but if you need a little more look at the 30 Blaser.
"RWS factory loads using 150 grain bullets advertise a MV of 3085 fps and ME of 3165 ft. lbs. RWS factory loads with 180 grain bullets feature a MV of 2820 fps and ME of 3190 ft. lbs. This makes the ballistic performance of the .30R Blaser nearly identical to that of the wildcat .30-06 Ackley Improved cartridge, which has had a small but loyal following for over 60 years.
The .30R Blaser is based on a big case that measures 2.68" long. It has a rim diameter of .531", a head diameter of .480", shoulder diameter of .441". The overall cartridge length is 3.8".
It would be fair to say that any big game hunting you could do with the .30-06 Springfield, .30-06 Improved, .300 H&H, or for that matter the 8x60S, you could also do with the .30R Blaser. The .30R Blaser is a fine all-around rifle cartridge, but there is no shortage of established rifle cartridges offering this approximate level of performance."
From an artical by Chuck Hawks
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4570NUT:
Sorry Guys,

I forgot to mention what I was going to use it for. I will probably never have the money it takes to travel to Africa and hunt game there, so I will use this gun to hunt North American game the size of deer.

Now I already have a 45-70 that shoot great and I love hunting with it. If we all had to choose just one gun and caliber, that would be mine.

But now I'm itching for a new one and thought I would go for a 30-30 since factory ammo is readily available anywhere in America, and it is cheap to reload and can kill anything I would want to shoot with it inside 100 yards.

Take Care!!

The 30-30 is a fine choice for a double rifle for the USA, and if your friend can make the rifle with a set of very thin barrels in the 22 to 24 inch length, and regulate it with factory ammo with 170 gr bullets it will be a very handy little shooter. Ammo is available in any general store in rural America, and there isn’t a handier deer rifle than a light 30-30 double rifle with it’s very quick two shots that doesn’t break the bank for ammo! I say it matters not what others say, have it chambered for 30-30 if that is what you want!

I had one a few years ago made on a little 20 ga Belgian S/S shotgun action, and I sold it like a fool and have regretted it ever since! I say go for it!

..................................................................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
For your use the 'Dirty Thirty' will be a fine little rifle!

And if your friend in Wisc. is the same one that made my 450 NE on a JP Sauer frame it'll be very well done.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that the .30-30 is a good choice. Relatively inexpensive to shoot and widely available.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I would go for the 303 or the 7X65R. The latter would be more salable if you decide to get rid of it at a later date & you would have a slightly flatter shooting rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a Merkel 140 in 7x65R and currently own a BRNO o/u in 7x65R. Great caliber, very flat shooting. However, I really prefer the 8x57JRS for a sxs double rifle for North Americsn big game for the ranges that a double rifle is effective.

The .300H&H Flanged Magnum would also be great regulated for 200-220 gr. bullets. 220gr bullets in this caliber would be good for anything a double rifle would be effective for in NA. And what a classic caliber!!!

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with your reasoning for the 30-30.

Another option is 30-40 Krag, a bit heaveier bullet and still easy to feed and shoot.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.snipershide.com/for...wflat&Number=3272699

Here's one ready to go! No waiting ... Smiler

I don't know the seller but, we shot a few emails back and forth FWIW.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you want a medium .30 cal, go with a 30-40 Krag instead of a .303 since .30 cal bulllets have a much more variety to choose from, when reloading that is. .30 Blaser; I like it but hate it as brass, dies, ammo, etc, are astronomical in price and hard to get. They would have been better off making a 7.62 Russian instead of inventing the Blaser, but some countries don't allow military calibers.

Posts: 17292 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, first of all, it takes a really good gun maker to CORRECTLY built a shotgun conversion double. Apparently you've already got that covered, but for anyone else, I would only use someone who's done it multiple times and where you can see and handle and preferably shoot one.

Second, I assume you're in agreement on the price. But, the last time I asked my gunsmith about this, he suggested it would start at about $7K and go up depending on features.

Third, there are a lot of calibers you CAN'T use DEPENDING on WHAT shotgun actions you're looking at. In other words, some won't take long term the pressures and stress. So I would probably limit this to low pressure calibers. Others can disagree with that, but it's how I feel.

Fourth, decide if you want a traditional African British or German caliber in hopes of trying to duplicate the "safari feel" to your double. Or, do you want an American themed double? If the latter is the case, go with 30-30. Many reasons including chamber pressures and ease in finding ammo and cheap ammo and light, almost non-existent recoil.

Lastly, my qualifications to even be talking about this? I am the VERY happy and pleased owner of a Parker double rifle in 30-30. At 100 yds it's extremely accurate and will wear out deer and milk cartons. I'm told its past owner also took many hogs with it. And it has the old traditional looks and came with a lot of extras, including handloaded ammo, old period 30 WCF ammo boxes, other accessories and a case that looks like it just came in off a dangerous game hunt.

Now, I admit to playing around with the thought of another U.S. shotgun conversion, but in a different caliber. The ones I personally am intrigued by most are the 348 Win and 405 Win (I wouldn't try to base those on the Parker action however). The 300 H&H also has appeal, but I fear is too much for the actions most likely to be used. That's also more the traditional long range bolt gun caliber. 30-40 Krag I also considered, but that's for me too much like a 30-06 which is something I'd not use for this project.

And btw, I also have a Searcy in an African caliber. Before buying it, we kicked around the idea of a field grade in 348 Win. Wound up skipping that out of concern it would be real difficult to get my money out of it when it came time to sell. These type things you have to think of. A 30-30 should be easier to sell.

Now, just so you'll have the whole picture in front of you...I'd consider something like a Searcy in 450/.400, then download it to 45-70 energy for your deer and hogs. That way, you have the best of all possible worlds in one gun.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
.600 nitro...but that's just me.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine is in 32-20, but then I only shoot paper. I would go for .303 British next time....

Posts: 83 | Location: Olde England | Registered: 03 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Rule 303

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
There have been some nice Belgian doubles made in .405 WCF. The .405 WCF was designed for a 300 grain bullet, but you can shoot anything from 225 g up through 400 g. if you tell the maker to allow the right freebore.
If you reload, think of all the fun you can have working out loads that will regulate with that range of bullets. Then if you do get to go to Alaska for big bear or Africa for DG, you will have just the ticket and a unique ticket at that..

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Heym double rifle in 30/30.

It is the model 26B, an O/U.

It is light, short, and very accurate. I Use the Heym QD scope mount, and it goes back to zero 100%. I have taken several deer and wild pigs with it and 3 coyotes, on at 166 yards.

I even killed an alagator snapping turtle, that has a hold of the head of one of my ducks in the pond. The wife had a hold of the ducks feet and was in a tug of war with the turtle.
One shot of the Heym 30/30 ended the tug of war... Big Grin

This 30/30 double has become one of my most favorite hunting guns.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I would go for the 303 or the 7X65R. The latter would be more salable if you decide to get rid of it at a later date & you would have a slightly flatter shooting rifle.

Me. too. If neither of those, I would likely have him make it for a 7.62x54R...just so I could have .30-06 ballistics and still use a rimmed case. That case is also available inexpensively world-wide.

And I'd ask for it to be regulated for 174 grain bullets or an available weight very close thereto for any one of the three.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't do it at all.

Save the $$$ and go to Africa.

Trust me on this.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I think the .30-30 would make a wonderful rifle for deer. The .30-30 is a handy round as is but you could also use some of the many .30 caliber pointed bullets in a double.

Others have made some nice suggestions. I would add that .25-35 makes a nice light double (I had one for a while). If you reload, you might also consider 7.62x54R (30 Russian) with a standard .30 caliber bore to shoot .308" diameter bullets.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My next double will be a 6.5X57R.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like the notion of 7.62x54R

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 8x57 IRS is a very good choice imo..

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
If I ever get a medium bore double made to order...I am gonna get a .348 Winchester. I think it would be an awsome double cartridge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4570NUT:
Hey Guys,

I'm ordering a new double rifle to be made for me by a friend who makes doubles out of quality german shotguns. He made me a 45-70 a few years back and I absolutely love it.

Now I'm considering another and was thinking of getting it in 30-30. However, before I finalize my order with him, I thought I would ask what your thoughts were on other rimeed cartridges that I might consider for this new double rifle.

So, what do you think?

What caliber or calibers would you consider if you wanted a new double?

Thanks for your time!!

Take Care!

4570NUT,

I wish you well in your new rifle build!

But, I've always pictured a double rifle in 45 or bigger caliber. So...I won't be of much help with your new project.

Good luck to you

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Since you asked, I am about to pull the triggers on having a 240 Flanged Nitro built for me ...

But as to you and your intent ...

For the reasons you mentioned particularly that you can practically walk into a grocery store (outside of NJ) and buy ammo - you can't go wrong with the 30-30 tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, but after your experience with the 577, 585, and 600 NE, you wouldn't be able to tell when a 30-30 DR went off! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having worked my way thru this same decision, I know this for sure.

If you like double rifles all this much, what you'll find after you go to all that trouble is, you'll want still another but in a traditional African caliber.

So unless you ultimately want to wind up with TWO guns I'd skip the lesser, and go straight to the African dangerous game double now and save yourself a lot of trouble and expense.

Go with a nice 450/.400 Nitro Express and shoot it as is at your deer and such, or, work up some low power loads for it and you're ready to roll.

If nothing else, you'll look good walking thru the deer woods with it. You might get some that just plain die of fright when they see what you're carrying - "he's bought a what?!?"

Deep down it's what we all really want...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the plunge on a Krieghoff Classic. Haven't got it yet. I went with the 30R Blaser for something different. Should be interesting.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don´t know what your chap is charging you but you can order an AYA No.2 or No.1 in 20 guage with a spare set of barrels (made and regulated in Belgium in .44 rem mag) best, Mike

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
9,3x74R !

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote