THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Any suggestions for a cartridge belt ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any suggestions for a cartridge belt ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:
Originally posted by HBH:
I like Dick's closed nylon version, and have also used a Tex Hunt Co. slide on that belt. Good stuff all, but I still preffer to have two on my right wrist, in that I load with my left hand. Hunting tuskless around large cow herds will do that to you. Mine is homemade nylon, but I recall brother Jines had a nice leather wrist band.

That was interesting to learn about. Maybe Mike can fill in with a photo of it and where to find this ?

You can usually get them from Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...cm_vc=ProductFinding

Mike

Posts: 21673 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Murray Leather with industrial elastic closed shell holders.

You might also consider a butt stock shell holder in addition to whatever else you might be using.

Reason: quality.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Just had one of these made for my trip to Zim this year, very well made.

http://www.joshualeather.com/c...rtridge-belt-variant

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are alot of great leather/canvas belt makers and I sure I am just adding to the list, but I swear by the work from 7x Leather, Wes makes some of the finest canvas and leather belt rigs I have seen and is a great guy to deal with.

He is a bit back logged but I am sure he will be able to accommodate you

http://www.7xleather.com/quigley_cartridge_belts

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice row Todd, but you did not pass the exam as " cutter " Wink

Are these CEB or NF ? Cups or flat nose ?

I have also picked up the idea of having pairs of catridges in the belt. One brand sell ammo slides organiced like this in pairs holding 6 or 8 rounds. I will try to find the producer again.

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zhaba:
have a look at this guys work here in Australia I just got one done and couldn't be happier with the quality www.joshualeather.com tu2

+1 for the Australian made one tu2

The flaps protect the bullets and your rifle with access still easy. Alternately when anticipating action simply fold over the covers.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice picture Ozhunter. I am also bringing my son in October for a combo buff and PG hunt and looking very much forward to that tu2

Posts: 1140 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Are yiou bringing more than one rifle, if so what calibers?

If I bring two there will be 375 HH and 450 NE.

Norwegian, I see you are using both large Nitro express rounds (450NE)and the smaller 375H&H. In that case I recommend a sturdy leather belt with a set of Murray slides and carry the 450NE on one side, and the 375H&H on the other side!

If you had rather have two belts, one for each rifle then a pair of Trader Keith culling belts would be nice. They are made of canvas and will not tarnish your brass. Trader-Keith also has a gadget called "Double-Duty" which carries two rounds for a double rifle, and when snapped open drops two rounds in your hand, rims down in the palm of your loading hand. with a few minutes of practice, it works very well for re-charging your double quickly.
Murray's belts are vegetable tanned leather and they will not tarnish the brass either, but are not as useful for carrying two different cartridges as the belt and slides, or the culling belts.

I have several of Murray's slides and they come in all leather, or leather with elastic loops. I find the elastic loops to be more useful for several different size rounds.

I also have some Africa-Case slides for my double rifles. They are set up with several pairs of loops with spaces between each pair of cartridges. this allows you to easily pull two rounds at a time for a fast re-load of your double.

.................................................................. patriot
All are quality and are simply a choice of price and/or need.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
quote:
Are yiou bringing more than one rifle, if so what calibers?

If I bring two there will be 375 HH and 450 NE.

Norwegian, I see you are using both large Nitro express rounds (450NE)and the smaller 375H&H. In that case I recommend a sturdy leather belt with a set of Murray slides and carry the 450NE on one side, and the 375H&H on the other side!

If you had rather have two belts, one for each rifle then a pair of Trader Keith culling belts would be nice. They are made of canvas and will not tarnish your brass. Trader-Keith also has a gadget called "Double-Duty" which carries two rounds for a double rifle, and when snapped open drops two rounds in your hand, rims down in the palm of your loading hand. with a few minutes of practice, it works very well for re-charging your double quickly.
Murray's belts are vegetable tanned leather and they will not tarnish the brass either, but are not as useful for carrying two different cartridges as the belt and slides, or the culling belts.

I have several of Murray's slides and they come in all leather, or leather with elastic loops. I find the elastic loops to be more useful for several different size rounds.

I also have some Africa-Case slides for my double rifles. They are set up with several pairs of loops with spaces between each pair of cartridges. this allows you to easily pull two rounds at a time for a fast re-load of your double.

.................................................................. patriot
All are quality and are simply a choice of price and/or need.

Thanks Mac. I see there is several possibilties depending on what kind of hunt you are doing. I think I will follow your advice here making a combination of a 450NE Murray belt and 375 slides when bringing both. I do not think I will buy a Murray belt for the 375, but use slides or culling belts depending on type of hunt and which animals when I am carrying only the 375.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I brought a double and a bolt gun on my hunt as well. I purchased a 2" belt from Murray and four 10 round belt slides from him. 2 leather for my double and two 2 elastic for my bolt gun. 10 solids and 10 softs in each for their respective rifles. When I grabbed a different rifle I slid off and on new slides..

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks Mac. I see there is several possibilties depending on what kind of hunt you are doing. I think I will follow your advice here making a combination of a 450NE Murray belt and 375 slides when bringing both. I do not think I will buy a Murray belt for the 375, but use slides or culling belts depending on type of hunt and which animals when I am carrying only the 375.

You're welcome Norwegian! There is a lot of good choices out there, so you can mix and match to your own needs! Good luck on your safari!
....................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When elephant or buffalo hunting I wear a Murray Leather 10 round belt reversed for a lefty, with leather closed loops. The loops are soft enough that I can push the cartridges up by the bullets. I put only solids in the cartridge loops, and use an Afri-Case two round slide for two softs, with the slide on the opposite side of the belt. Fwiw, I also wear a small Gerber multi tool at the small of the back.

When carrying my 375H&H I wear a covered five round slide on my pants belt and give another to a tracker. The slide I'm wearing will have only all softs or all solids. If I want a couple of the opposite I'll put one of each in my front pockets. If I'm carrying solids the tracker is carrying softs and vice versa.

Anyone have a web address for Afri-Case or whatever the correct name is?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote