THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Manton bore rifle - right hammer must be cocked before the left hammer will engage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manton bore rifle - right hammer must be cocked before the left hammer will engage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Received a Manton bore rifle today. I was surprised to learn that the right lock must be cock at least once before the left lock can be cocked. When the right hammer is cocked, the rear trigger is "set" (moves forward) and allows the left hammer to engage. Without this, the left hammer can be thumbed back but no full or half cock can be felt. The right lock can be left cocked or at half cock or lowered backed down and the left hammer will engage. Obviously designed this way. I first thought "Cool". Then thought, something else to break and what that might cost to fix. Anyone else hear of a set up like this? The locks have stalking safeties. Thanks in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The locks should work independent of one another. It sounds like maybe some wood shrinkage has occurred. Have it looked over by a qualified doublegun smith. It should be a relatively easy fix for a guy who knows his way around a hammer gun.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I have no input to help, but would really like to see it & what size Bore Rifle is it ?

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kynoch:
Received a Manton bore rifle today. I was surprised to learn that the right lock must be cock at least once before the left lock can be cocked. When the right hammer is cocked, the rear trigger is "set" (moves forward) and allows the left hammer to engage. Without this, the left hammer can be thumbed back but no full or half cock can be felt. The right lock can be left cocked or at half cock or lowered backed down and the left hammer will engage. Obviously designed this way. I first thought "Cool". Then thought, something else to break and what that might cost to fix. Anyone else hear of a set up like this? The locks have stalking safeties. Thanks in advance.

This may be done with the common idea that the right barrel should be fired first to assure proper regulation.

I too would love to see this rifle, and good close pictures of the internals when the double smith exposes them.

This is the first time I've heard of this design, if in fact, that is by design rather than malfunction.
................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
sounds like a wear or dirt issue, and not a factory or preferred setting.. it could be several things, other than badly designed ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39706 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM Cal, he'd probably know.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments and sorry for the delayed response.

About the rifle. It is a Manton 12 bore. Damascus barrels, under lever, fixed sight with three folding (150, 200 and 500yds). Slow twist, 10.5 lbs. Watertable is marked "Joseph Brazier". Locks engraved with tigers and include stalking safeties.

If it's malfunctioning (which it very well may be), it is awfully repeatable. Very distinct "snick" when the right hammer is cocked and the rear trigger "sets" forward about 1/4".

Heading to Tulsa this weekend and will bring the rifle along for some of the resident experts give it a look. PM me if you'll also be there. Happy to show it to you. Thanks for all.

(PS will get a photo bucket account and post some pics when I return.)

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've pondered this and don't have an answer. I've forwarded the info to a friend who does not go on AR but he's an absolute encyclopedia of double rifle knowledge. When he replies, I will post here.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SKB nailed it. It was a problem and not by design. I took the rifle to Tulsa last weekend. Kirk Merrington was kind enough to take a look at it for me. With the locks off you could see that the tips of the sears were touching due to wood shrinkage. Backing off the lock screw a quarter turn and the locks work perfectly and exactly one would expect. Thanks for the comments everyone.