THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Shoulder carry, muzzles forward
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shoulder carry, muzzles forward
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what’s your definition of hunting?

Any time I have a lic and am out looking to kill something.

That can range from miles of walking and/or hours glassing, sitting in a stand, calling game, to driving around hoping for a encounter.

One/any day can involve any or all of them.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Here's a short video demonstrating what the African Carry method is and isn't.

Hope this helps make the issue a bit more clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...uug&feature=youtu.be

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Here's a short video demonstrating what the African Carry method is and isn't.

Hope this helps make the issue a bit more clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...uug&feature=youtu.be

Thanks, good post

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Todd, thanks. That does clarify matters some. I still think that port arms with the muzzle pointing toward the sky is safest, but admittedly more tiring on a long stalk.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good sbort and to the point video, shipmate!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Having the barrels pointing out to the side is much safer, of course, but I would worry it might reduce the rifle's purchase on your shoulder. Does it ever slip off, leaving the weight on your upper arm?

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Having the barrels pointing out to the side is much safer, of course, but I would worry it might reduce the rifle's purchase on your shoulder. Does it ever slip off, leaving the weight on your upper arm?

…………………………………………………………..NO! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

NO. It doesn't. The rifle pivots on your shoulder as you point the barrels out 30 to 45 degrees or more. Does not affect the "purchase" on your shoulder at all.

Best thing to do if you have questions about it's feasibility is to give it a try based on the positions I demonstrated in the video, including pulling the barrels down and changing shoulders. You'll see pretty quick how well it works. Make sure the barrels are unloaded until you get comfortable with it and have a buddy go for a walk with you behind him. Use the positions I demoed and see how easy it is to keep your head in the game as to where the muzzles are in relation to your buddy and how easy it is to keep them from sweeping him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The most dangerous of all of "dangerous game" is another, armed, enemy or enemy soldier.

If this "Africa carry" were so good for being in a state of instant readiness to respond to such a threat then it'd be in every nation's military training manuals.

It isn't The only time I've seen the military using "African Carry" is German soldiers with MG42s. So, yes, for porting a heavy double rifle it makes sense.

It works for movement away from anticipated immediate threat but in an area where game might be expected at any moment it is inadvisable.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:

If this "Africa carry" were so good for being in a state of instant readiness to respond to such a threat then it'd be in every nation's military training manuals.

I thought the focus of the discussion was safety of the AC, not speed of getting into action. Yes, that was a bit of a side track but I don't remember anyone stating speed of getting into action being THE REASON for using this method of carry.

It works for movement away from anticipated immediate threat but in an area where game might be expected at any moment it is inadvisable.

No more or less so than carrying with a sling.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seriously? combat and hunting have NOTHING to do with each other. Same moronic arguments the 700 crowd makes about sniper rifles in combat is equivalent to hunting dangerous game. Oh, the humanity...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:

Seriously? combat and hunting have NOTHING to do with each other. Same moronic arguments the 700 crowd makes about sniper rifles in combat is equivalent to hunting dangerous game. Oh, the humanity...

Right you are Jorge!

According to his argument, we've all got it wrong. We need to sling our rifles across our belly, muzzle down, about 30 degrees off vertical, trigger hand resting on the pistol grip in limp wrist fashion, waiting for game to appear and attack us!!

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
What's this about SCI and Mark Sullivan?
dancing Big Grin popcorn

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

one of us
posted Hide Post
The African carry is as safe as any carry if the individual is aware of his business..Carrying in the usualy Americn way with rifle in hand facting forward is probably more dangerous if you fall and your barrels are pointed flat facing forward, A African carry in a fall will probably stick the barrels in the dirt or so Ive seen...

The bottom line is carry as you wish, just do not point the muzzles at anyone, You have lots of room to guide those muzzles left or right or even up and down..

Bottom line is the hunter himself and his ability to use his grey matter..

Keep in mind that during a 15 mile trek for elephant one will probably carry that rifle in about every feasible position, and the heavy doubles are the worst..I fear there are many who have not walked the walk in Africa and there advise is amusing..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep in mind that during a 15 mile trek for elephant one will probably carry that rifle in about every feasible position, and the heavy doubles are the worst..I fear there are many who have not walked the walk in Africa and there advise is amusing..

Ray it makes no difference where, or what, I'm hunting with a double rifle. I carry it the same way, THE AFRICAN WAY! but I watch where my rifle is pointing at all times. When crossing a ditch or climbing an incline, I un-load the rifle!

You are correct, that like you, I have seen far more people being swept right here in the USA by deer hunters with rifles fitted with slings or carried in their hands and even in camp. I would bet 90 % of those spouting about the A/C carry are guilty sweeping others when handling the rifles they carry on a sling.

The key IS no matter how you carry any rifle is simply don't point your loaded, or unloaded rifle at anything you do not intend shooting! homer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote