THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Which One, Heym or Searcy???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which One, Heym or Searcy???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
Well Men,

I have decided that I must have intercepting sears. (470 NE or 500 NE)
I will go either with Heym model 88B or
Searcy Deluxe with bolstered frame, (NOT the new Classic)
PLEASE VOTE

Choices:
HEYM 88B
SEARCY DELUXE - Old Style Bolstered Frame

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you say Searcy 'old style bolstered frame' I think you are referring to the PH model:

The reason some guys prefer a Heym over a Searcy is that the Heym is slimmer and lighter than the Searcy PH model. But now the Searcy Classic competes head on with the Heym (and other European doubles), and the Classic is a modern incarnation of top notch British boxlocks of a hundred years ago. The Heym, although generally traditional, reveals the influence of its teutonic designers and in that respect departs from tradition. Either rifle would serve you well, but for durability and accuracy, the Searcy PH is extremely hard to beat.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post

I am pretty sure Jack is talking about the Deluxe Boxlock.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack:

Take a deep breath and count to ten. Like your obsession with rim thickness, this too will pass.

Between the two you mentioned - neither.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
My only complaint about the Searcy (from the older Field Grade model I reviewed last year) was the fit of the components to the barrel ribs and the quality of the soldering job of the barrels and those components.

Actually, I started quite a pissers here in discussing such.

I reviewed the three Searcy guns (Classic, Deluxe and Underleaver Sidelock) at the show this year and unfortunately found the same thing as in the older "field grade" model I had reviewed previously.

I went from there to look at two 88B Safaris (470 & 500) which left no question (IMO) as to which gun had received the most attention to detail.

I will also say that Butch is a hellava nice guy. Straight shooter and quite pleasant to visit with.

Had it not been for these small details, I would say Searcy over Heym for logistics, etc... but for 16K my money goes to the Heym.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think your desire for intercepting sears is based on a common misconception. Intercepting sears will not prevent the most common cause of doubling which is inadvertantly pulling the second trigger under recoil.

Intercepting sears will only prevent a rifle which needs repair from doubling due to recoil. If the rifle is in proper working order it will not double due to recoil.

Intercepting sears do prevent a dropped or otherwise roughly mishandled rifle from accidentally discharging.

I would opt for the Searcy Classic.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To 500Grains,

I am not writting of the PH, but the DELUXE as BD563 wrote. It comes with articulated trigger, intercepting sears and is more"refined" it seems than the PH.

To 400NE,

rotflmo You gave me a good laugh, thank you. You said no to both, but what would you pick?

To JPK,

I understand your points. I am thinking of the unfortunate, but possible, dropped rifle.

To All,

Thanks for the experience and op's you share.

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack:

Just teasing you a little. Intercepting sears are nice to have, but I wouldn't pass up a nice rifle just because it didn't have them.

My observations about the Searcy are the same as new guy's. I'll add that I've never seen one with decently struck barrels. To me, the choice between these two is a no brainer - I'd pick the Heym every time. I prefer it to the Merkel, Chapuis, and Krieghoff as well. The Heym is the best finished of the new DRs in this price range. It's geometry, handling dynamics and stock design, as poor as they are, are just as good as any of the others. Much better quality is available on the used market for similar or slightly more money.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Champlins had a very nice Heym sidelock in 470.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym hands down. Better quality, built like a bank vault and better resale value.

Corbin

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Champlins had a very nice Heym sidelock in 470.

The Heym side lock at Champlin's table was like new, and fit me perfectly! It was a 470NE sidelock, with invisable pins, and very little scroll engraveing, leaving lots of room left for an up grade by Scrollcutter!

It was $16.5K, and that is the price of a NEW boxlock Heym 88B boxlock. The rifle was used, but I think very little. It is flawless, looking brand new! If I could have, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

I had a Heym 88B a few years ago, and I loved that rifle! Unfortunently I traded it in on a nice Britt rifle that did not shoot nearly as well! Wish I had the Heym back. If the two rifles were the same price, then my vote would go to a Heym 88B over the PH Searcy, however they are not the same price, and the Searcy will do anything the Heym will, at $ 5K less money! The Searcy is a working rifle, and a damn good one at that. If you want pollish, and are willing to pay the extra money to get it, then all it takes in money! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37,

I am not looking at SEARCY PH.
I AM looking at SEARCY Deluxe Boxlock.
Said Deluxe is very close in price to the HEYM 88B.
Both of these have articulated triggers and anti-doubling sear systems.
Thanks for your input.

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Searcy Deluxe box lock is due to arrive next week. Hope that answers your question.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BigFiveJack
You might want to think about the Searcy Classic. I handled one at the Dallas Safari Show.
Very Nice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote