THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Report: Sabatti 450/400 Deluxe
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Report: Sabatti 450/400 Deluxe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
.450 NE = Any animal, any time
.400/.450 = Most animals, most of the time

You don't really believe that do you?

458 Win mag or a 416 Rem mag?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDB:
quote:
.450 NE = Any animal, any time
.400/.450 = Most animals, most of the time

You don't really believe that do you?

458 Win mag or a 416 Rem mag?

Yes. It is pretty simple, a .450 NE is absolutely a better choice for elephant than a .450/.400. The physics do not lie. Same is true for the .458 versus the .416. It is simply incontrovertible, despite that fact that many make a futile and mind-numbing effort to argue to the contrary.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could have said "custom made" had I been referring to, say, a Searcy. Or even a Westley-Richards. But, when one mentions H&H, or Purdey, or David McKay Brown, one must say '"espoke,"

Geez, don't you guys know anything? "Custom made." The horror, the horror.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, "bespoke." No spell check on AR.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:
I could have said "custom made" had I been referring to, say, a Searcy. Or even a Westley-Richards. But, when one mentions H&H, or Purdey, or David McKay Brown, one must say '"espoke,"

Geez, don't you guys know anything? "Custom made." The horror, the horror.

HEY!

I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. Be spoke means something entirely different there. Wink

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

that confession covers a multitude of sins...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Doc,

that confession covers a multitude of sins...

Rich
DRSS

beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been wondering about this 'Bespoke' nonsense for MONTHS. So basically it's High Society Brit-Stuffy for 'Custom-Built'?

Posts: 225 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pheasants...oh sorry, peasants!

More here worht a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savile_Row

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
I am so friggin tired of reading this word and not quite knowing what it meant ...
Confused
Countless years of school and this place is the first I had ever read or heard the word bespoke. coffee

You couldn't just say "custom made"? Roll Eyes

I have to agree with you Paul, it is a stupid word but it means indicates BEST, adj, superlative of GOOD, excelling all others but like you it is a word I can do without! Every time I read that word it brings to mind someone with their nose so high they'd drown if it rained. Big Grin

Suffice to say BEST GRADE would do very well for me! Of course I'm just an old ranch kid that speaks plain old TEXAS Y'all!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I agree that the 450-400s are easier to shoot as I have two of them and, although I do not own at present a .450 Nitro, I have had .458 Win Mags and they were definitely not fun to shoot. The 400, OTOH, is no problem to shoot as many rounds as you want to. I just don't like the eighty cents per shot thing.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I think Jines summed it up pretty accurately. I have the 400, but if I had my druthers for only one double, it would be the .450. The term "bespoke" always meant, to me, a gun that was custom built to the dimensions required for proper fitting to the person commisioning it. It does not necessarily mean it was a "Best " quality. It was not a rack gun made and stocked to generic specs. I think bespoke works quite well!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

I have to agree with you Paul, it is a stupid word but it means indicates BEST, adj, superlative of GOOD, excelling all others but like you it is a word I can do without! Every time I read that word it brings to mind someone with their nose so high they'd drown if it rained. Big Grin

Suffice to say BEST GRADE would do very well for me! Of course I'm just an old ranch kid that speaks plain old TEXAS Y'all!

You have the wrong meaning for the word "Bespoke".
It means custom, or tailor made, to the customers specs.
A Bespoke gun is one made especially for the buyer, and built or finished the way he has requested it to be done.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470 NE = any game, any time, under any conditions, at any range.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 5seventy:
quote:

A Bespoke gun is one made especially for the buyer, and built or finished the way he has requested it to be done.

You are no doubt correct, I'm sure! You might correct Webster's dictionary as well, because what I posted was from them! I just assumed their definition would be more accurate than mine, I guess not! Roll Eyes
......................... coffee

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are no doubt correct, I'm sure! You might correct Webster's dictionary as well, because what I posted was from them! I just assumed their definition would be more accurate than mine, I guess not! Roll Eyes
......................... coffee

If you are going to quote from a dictionary, you need to look up the correct word, which in this case is "Bespoke".

From the looks of it, you have given Webster's definition of the word "Best".

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you are going to quote from a dictionary, you need to look up the correct word, which in this case is "Bespoke".

From the looks of it, you have given Webster's definition of the word "Best".

........and "BESPOKE" indicates the word "BEST", or excelling all others!

In any event it means top of the line but not necessarily something custom made to order,just the BEST they can make,or that there is, though that could be be-spoke as well from anything I can find. I would like to know in what text you get the definition in writing the word is "Bespoke".
?

Allen we all know what the word BE-SPOKE means here on double rifle forums because you have told us,but you were a little late we knew already. Is that definition just your opinion, or did you read it in some athority on language? I'm willing to learn! Hit me with the text! If it is just your opinion,then you know what they say about opinion!

..................................... coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough crowd!

"Bespoke (pronounced bih-spohk') is a British English term employed in a variety of applications to mean an item custom-made to the buyer's specification. While applied to many items now, from computer software to luxury car appointments, the term historically was applied only to tailored clothing, shirts and other parts of men's apparel involving measurement and fitting.

The distinguishing points of bespoke tailoring are the buyer's total control over the fabric used, the features and fit, and the way the garment should be made. More generally, bespoke describes a high degree of customisation, and involvement of the end-user, in the production of the goods"

There are custom guns and there are best grade guns and then there are "bespoke" guns. I have built all three. But very few of the last definition simply because most end users these days don't know the difference and are happy with one of the first two.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
The distinguishing points of bespoke tailoring are the buyer's total control over the fabric used, the features and fit, and the way the garment should be made.

Hey, that's just how my Norfolk jackets and knickers were made!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No I gave the definition of "BESPOKE" And what I posted was what was given.

Mac, go back and have another look at that dictionary.
You have been looking at the definition of "BEST", which is several listings below what you should be looking at, which is "BESPOKE".

In case you haven't noticed, I,m not the only one trying to steer you onto the right path on this. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I agree that the 450-400s are easier to shoot as I have two of them and, although I do not own at present a .450 Nitro, I have had .458 Win Mags and they were definitely not fun to shoot. The 400, OTOH, is no problem to shoot as many rounds as you want to. I just don't like the eighty cents per shot thing.

I am wondering where you can find ammo at eighty cents per shot on the above listed rounds.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ammoloader:
First impressions of my Sabatti 450/400 Deluxe with ejectors:

Excellent fit and finish with gorgeous wood. Engraving is very attractive, more so than in the catalog pictures. Stiff opening with tight lockup. Ejectors throw brass about 6 feet without any blocking. Shot many groups with hand loads that looked just like the test target about ~1.10 inches apart one slightly higher than the other.

Front trigger has a little creep and is a bit too heavy, probably 6 lbs. Back trigger has a glass rod break at about 5 lbs.

Stock fits nicely for my average stature and feels good in the shoulder. Recoil is strait back with minimal muzzle rise and is very managable. Appears to be regulated for a 6 o'clock hold with the bead at the bottom of the V notch.

I could not find any factory ammo, so I am still working up loads with Hornady brass and the DGX bullet loaded with H 4831 SC.

I compared it to a new Merkel double on the rack. The Sabatti had nicer fit and finish.

I'm very happy with the rifle. I plan to install on a kickeeze buttpad and perhaps have the front trigger worked on. I may end up cutting the rear sight a little deeper depending on where the loads end up.

Rusty has volunteered to post some pictures.

These rifles are a great value and alot of fun!

The Sabatti's look pretty good for the price, that's for sure.
No doubt the triggers can be fixed without too much drama. tu2

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You have been looking at the definition of "BEST", which is several listings below what you should be looking at, which is "BESPOKE".

I see RDB's post as the same as yours, but what I want is where you get the definition you, and RDP are posting? There are NO listings between be-spoke, and Best in the Webster's dictionary on my desk. Maybe an English dictionary from the UK has words only used in the UK, that is what I'm trying to find out.

What text are you useing or is it just understood, there, that that is what the word means!

I'm not trying to be dificult, but I'd like something on a accepted authority! As I said I'm willing to learn, but your word is just that,without documintation. The only thing I can find is that the word bespoke is a synonomym for the BEST.

If there is an online international dictionary that reflects your definition, please provide a link.

As you know there are words in any language that are used to mean different things in the several dialects of that language, and this may be one of those cases,where the trade just assigned their own meaning to the word, that's what I'm trying to find out! I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I can't find that definition in an accepted text, only in posts here on AR, and you know how reliable that is! Smiler

I practical terms, it actually means little to me personally, because I could never afford a custom, best, or bespoke double rifle anyway. I just like to understand what people are talking about when they use certain words.
......................Confused

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I see RDB's post as the same as yours, but what I want is where you get the definition you, and RDP are posting? There are NO listings between be-spoke, and Best in the Webster's dictionary on my desk. Maybe an English dictionary from the UK has words only used in the UK, that is what I'm trying to find out.

What text are you useing or is it just understood, there, that that is what the word means!

I'm not trying to be dificult, but I'd like something on a accepted authority! As I said I'm willing to learn, but your word is just that,without documintation. The only thing I can find is that the word bespoke is a synonomym for the BEST.

If there is an online international dictionary that reflects your definition, please provide a link.

As you know there are words in any language that are used to mean different things in the several dialects of that language, and this may be one of those cases, that's what I'm trying to find out!

I practical terms, it actually means little to me personally, because I could never afford a custom, best, or bespoke double rifle anyway. I just like to understand what people are talking about when they use certain words.
......................Confused

quote:
Is that definition just your opinion, or did you read it in some athority on language? I'm willing to learn! Hit me with the text! If it is just your opinion,then you know what they say about opinion!

Mac, I see here you are questioning the validity of what I have said.
No problem, I'm happy to do my best to provide proof to support anything I say on any subject on any of the forums. Who knows, maybe I might ask the same of you someday.

As far as the meaning of the word BESPOKE goes, here are a couple of links.

TRY THIS

OR THIS

MAYBE THIS

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
This is what I suspected!
That words, in the same language have different meanings depending on your location in the world! I found this to be true especially in Africa with an English PH. All English, but meaning different things.

One example is the slang word "PISSED" in the USA it means VERY ANGRY, in Africa, and aparently in the UK, it means INTOXICATED ON ALCOHOL

Simply a misunderstanding because of location! Not wrong just different to different people, and both are correct in most cases. I find this causes misunderstandings on the WORLD WIDE NET. Folks actually saying the same word, but meaning very different things.

See below!

quote:

TRY THIS

OR THIS

MAYBE THIS

quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
American and British English differences

Definition of Bespoke
Be`spoke´ Pronunciation: bė`spōk´
imp. & p. 1. imp. & p. p. of Bespeak.
Related Words
bespoken, custom, custom-made, customised, customized, made-to-order, tailor-made, tailored

Vocabulary
· List of American words not widely used in the United Kingdom · List of British words not widely used in the United States · List of words having different meanings in British and American English: A–L · List of words having different meanings in British and American English: M–Z
· List of works with different titles in the UK and US
edit box
British English, or UK English (BrE, BE, en-GB[1]), is the broad term used to distinguish the forms of the English language used in the United Kingdom from forms used elsewhere.[2] The Oxford English Dictionary applies the term to English "as spoken or written in the British Isles; esp[ecially] the forms of English usual in Great Britain...", reserving "Hiberno-English" for "The English language as spoken and written in Ireland".[3]

There are slight regional variations in formal written English in the United Kingdom (for example, although the words wee and little are interchangeable in some contexts, one is more likely to see wee written by someone from northern Britain (and especially Scotland) or from Northern Ireland than by someone from Southern England or Wales). Nevertheless, there is a meaningful degree of uniformity in written English within the United Kingdom, and this could be described as "British English". The forms of spoken English, however, vary considerably more than in most other areas of the world where English is spoken,[4] and a uniform concept of "British English" is therefore more difficult to apply to the spoken language. According to Tom McArthur in the Oxford Guide to World English (p. 45), "[f]or many people...especially in England [the phrase British English] is tautologous," and it shares "all the ambiguities and tensions in the word British, and as a result can be used and interpreted in two ways, more broadly or more narrowly, within a range of blurring and ambiguity".

NOW! That's what I was looking for! Thank you!
......................... tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is what I suspected!
That words, in the same language have different meanings depending on your location in the world! I found this to be true especially in Africa with an English PH. All English, but meaning different things.

One example is the slang word "PISSED" in the USA it means VERY ANGRY, in Africa, and aparently in the UK, it means INTOXICATED ON ALCOHOL

Simply a misunderstanding because of location! Not wrong just different to different people, and both are correct in most cases. I find this causes misunderstandings on the WORLD WIDE NET. Folks actually saying the same word, but meaning very different things.

Mac, BESPOKE means the same thing in America as it does anywhere else.

quote:
it is a stupid word but it means indicates BEST, adj, superlative of GOOD, excelling all others

One last time, you have read the dictionary definition of the word BEST, not the word Bespoke.

Please show any dictionary definition where the word BESPOKE is defined as meaning "best". Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everywhere but in Texas....but then Dallas or Houston aren't Texas are they? flame

"Jerry Taylor @ May 4th, 2010 at 1:27 pm
I love Ken’s Man’s shop. I have been shopping there for more than 16 years. They are the ultimate in bespoke men’s apparel in Dallas."

"Ahmed's Houston.."The key words of our approach to bespoke are sheer luxury and perfect fit. From the first touch of your chosen fabric, to the temptation of selecting a rather daring lining to completing the experience by wearing it for the final time, we will guide you to the best style of cut, suitable proportions and impeccable fit - just for you."

FMR....Smiler

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Wow, this thread sure took a detour into a ditch.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Agree, Mike: I want to read about double rifles, not bloody, "fookin" dictionaries ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
In the words of Blazing Saddles, "Dictionary . . . dictionary, we don't need no stink'in dictionary!"

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, if trying to get to the true meaning of words used in the British gun industry, and directly involving double rifles, means that it's gone into a ditch, then it must be in a ditch I suppose.
I'll bet though, there will be more than one person here, who had heard the word 'bespoke' before, but had no idea what it meant, who may have learned something.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
learned something.

Learn something? We don't need to learn no stinking something.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
learned something.

Learn something? We don't need to learn no stinking something.

Smiler

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the Shootaway dictionary,"Bespoke" is not "made to measure".Bespoke is made to measure and made by hand, not machine.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeez. I had no idea what I was starting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The heat of summer has been getting to you, you boys need to go kill something instead of haveing a pissing match over a word that sounds kind of gay.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mauser93:
Jeez. I had no idea what I was starting.

Mauser93, don't worry about what is happening here,it has nothing to do with your post! If it had been about you, you would have been the target. My comment was the start that gave an excuse for a donnibrook, that was totally unnecessary! No matter the REAL definition in this part of the world the word is very rarely used at all,few understand it,me included before but when it is used here most take it to mean the best of the best,wrongly we're told, that's all. Now we know that we should use it properly or be put to the lash. Big Grin

The fact is 5seventy, and RDB are correct in their definition of the word, and everyone here thanks them for explaining the meaning.

NOW! Let there be silence on this subject now that it has been finally defined!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well, if trying to get to the true meaning of words used in the British gun industry, and directly involving double rifles, means that it's gone into a ditch, then it must be in a ditch I suppose.
I'll bet though, there will be more than one person here, who had heard the word 'bespoke' before, but had no idea what it meant, who may have learned something.

I wounder who you could be talking about!

....................... Confused

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDB:
Tough crowd!

"Bespoke (pronounced bih-spohk') is a British English term employed in a variety of applications to mean an item custom-made to the buyer's specification. While applied to many items now, from computer software to luxury car appointments, the term historically was applied only to tailored clothing, shirts and other parts of men's apparel involving measurement and fitting.

The distinguishing points of bespoke tailoring are the buyer's total control over the fabric used, the features and fit, and the way the garment should be made. More generally, bespoke describes a high degree of customisation, and involvement of the end-user, in the production of the goods"

There are custom guns and there are best grade guns and then there are "bespoke" guns. I have built all three. But very few of the last definition simply because most end users these days don't know the difference and are happy with one of the first two.
If measurements are made and a shirt fabric is cut and/or sewn by machine,it is not bespoke.It is only bespoke if the shirt fabric is cut and sewn by hand.The same applies to a rifle stock.It is only bespoke if the stock was made entirely by hand.A bespoke made product is something rare and beautiful-don't mistake it with tailor made,made to measure,etc...

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I wounder who you could be talking about!

....................... Confused

"more than one person" is what I said.

If you are more than one person then I guess it must be you!!! rotflmo Maybe it was you and Will!!!
Lighten up a little bit guys. Wink