THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Report: Sabatti 450/400 Deluxe
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Report: Sabatti 450/400 Deluxe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First impressions of my Sabatti 450/400 Deluxe with ejectors:

Excellent fit and finish with gorgeous wood. Engraving is very attractive, more so than in the catalog pictures. Stiff opening with tight lockup. Ejectors throw brass about 6 feet without any blocking.

Front trigger has a little creep and is a bit too heavy, probably 6 lbs. Back trigger has a glass rod break at about 5 lbs.

Stock fits nicely for my average stature and feels good in the shoulder. Recoil is strait back with minimal muzzle rise and is very managable. Appears to be regulated for a 6 o'clock hold with the bead at the bottom of the V notch.

I could not find any factory ammo, so I am still working up loads with Hornady brass and the DGX bullet loaded with H 4831 SC.

I compared it to a new Merkel double on the rack. The Sabatti had nicer fit and finish.

I'm very happy with the rifle. I plan to install on a kickeeze buttpad and perhaps have the front trigger worked on. I may end up cutting the rear sight a little deeper depending on where the loads end up.

Rusty has volunteered to post some pictures.

These rifles are a great value and alot of fun!

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, the rifle looked great. I got a chance to shoot it and was pleased with the way it handled. Cliff and I both thought that the trigger were too heavy, but that can be remedied!
Here are a few picks.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle. Glad to hear it's working out so well.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Nice looking rifle. Glad to hear it's working out so well.

We need to do an exorcism. Apparently, an alien or some other spirit has taken possession of Bill Stewart's body. This is the third laid back post I have seen from Bill today. Where is the old Bill? Someone please have his wife lower the level of his medications.

[Nice rifle by the way. I had my Sabatti .450 NE out yesterday and the thing shoots darn well.]

Mike

Posts: 21374 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle! Good on you mate!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All these Sabbatti posts have piqued my interest..

Can you get them case colored, or do they all come in the nickle "French" finish?

What is the price range?

Kind of nice looking.. if they are dependable and affordable, I may have to pick one up!

Oh yea, do they come in lefty???

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
All these Sabbatti posts have piqued my interest..

Can you get them case colored, or do they all come in the nickle "French" finish?

What is the price range?

Kind of nice looking.. if they are dependable and affordable, I may have to pick one up!

Oh yea, do they come in lefty???

These rifles are a Cabelas specfic model. The 9.3x74 or 45-70 are case colored and a lighter frame rifle (~8 lbs). They are $2990.

Larger calibers are all the ~10 lb deluxe model and look like this one. They are $5000 with extractors or $5500 with ejectors.

Cliff
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to admit, the rifle looked great.

Is this Rusty's begrudged approval of a non-British double? Smiler Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
From my extensive drooling from looking at those on the Cabelas' web site, I believe 'ammoloader' got one of the better pieces of wood. Most are much more plain than his.

One thing I did notice is that the grain seems to be perpendicular to the receiver in all (most?) of the pics, so Sabatti seems to be doing some things very well.

I'm waiting for someone to get scared shitless with their 9.5 lb. 500 and sell it to me cheap!

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Will,
I think you have me mistaken for another member of the forum. I still like my Vintage British Double Rifle.
The Golden Age of British Doubles produced some extraordinary example of the gun maker's art. As for fit and feel, there aren't too many today that surpass what they did back at the turn of the last century. Having said that, I am not opposed to other makes. Now modern metallurgy and manufacturing techniques make the modern double rifle an excellent choice for someone who can't afford a Vintage British Double rifle. The three best things about a new, modern double rifle are
1. NIB
2. Warranty
3. Broader selection of powders to duplicate modern factory ammo that the rifle was regulated with.

I own a Chapuis 9.3X74R, and a Bernardelli Express 2000 in 8X57 RJS.
I think the current crop of double rifles are worth looking at.
Butch Searcy makes an outstanding product, and his service is second to none. Heym has always made a quality product. With Sabatti offering several entry level doubles, the opportunity for more folks to own a double rifle is excellent!

Bottom line for me is, "The more double rifle shooters, the better!"

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Warranty. That is something I have wondered about but have failed to ask Cabelas. Is there a warranty and is it of any value?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I like NIB warranty. Granted it's not a double rifle, but the Mauser M03 Arabesque I just bought comes with a 10 year warranty.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sabatti's have a 60-day warranty on the stock and a 1-year warranty on the balance of the rifle. The warranty is through U.S. Sporting Goods in Florida which I presume is the importer for Cabelas.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't understand this love of old british doubles, but then again I not as old as Rusty or Will an don't remenber when they first rolled out. rotflmo

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
yuck

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I don't understand this love of old british doubles, but then again I not as old as Rusty or Will an don't remenber when they first rolled out. rotflmo

JD

Ouch!
yuck

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Rusty is way and hell older than I. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot my new Sabatti 450/400 deluxe extractor today for the first time with factory stuff. I agree with all above. Handles nice, nice to shoot, dead on regulation, wood as Will described, not as pretty as the pics here. Couldn't be happier.

Rick
DRSS

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Cliff..

Lefty models?

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Thanks for the info, Cliff..

Lefty models?

I don't think so. However it would not hurt to ask. Call the Cabelas Sydney Nebraska gun library....

Cliff
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
My .450NE is now about 2 months old. Everything I could ask for in a very affordable package. Can't wait to get it bloody next year!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
My .450NE is now about 2 months old. Everything I could ask for in a very affordable package. Can't wait to get it bloody next year!

Have you had a chance to measure its weight accurately?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Five grand for a half way decent double should worry some folks! Maybe this will shake the market up a bit.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Five grand for a half way decent double should worry some folks! Maybe this will shake the market up a bit.
Peter.

No doubt about it Peter. A bigbore DRSS that so far has a history of being accurate, built fairly well for 5,000.
For basically 13,500 a guy could have a 9.3, 450/400 and a 500 and call it good and go hunting.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:

No doubt about that. I'll state what a lot of people are probably thinking....one can buy a .500, a 450/400 and a 9,3 for the price of a Searcy.

sofa

Now, with that said, some of the rifles on the cabelas site show some sloppy wood to metal fit but if a guy were patient and chose wisely, it looks like a damn decent rifle for the money.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Have you had a chance to measure its weight accurately?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was 9lbs 14oz empty on a postal scale.

"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter.

No doubt about it Peter. A bigbore DRSS that so far has a history of being accurate, built fairly well for 5,000.
For basically 13,500 a guy could have a 9.3, 450/400 and a 500 and call it good and go hunting.

All of us that have bought these rifles recently are very happy with our purchases. They are at a price point where a motivated "regular guy" can afford a new double in a variety of great calibers. I would be very interested to here the comments of a COMPETENT and EXPERIENCED gunsmith who has opened up a variety of doubles. I would like to know their thoughts regarding design and craftsmanship of the internals on these rifles. Especially comparing them to merkels, kriegs etc. as well as against "best guns". Would be an interesting conversation if they prove to be as well built inside as they appear to be on the outside.

At this point it appears that Cabelas and Sabatti have hit a homerun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any suggestions on someone to do the trigger work on these guns. My 450 also has a heavy set of triggers, the front is also the worst of the two.

Waiting for brass and bullest so thanks for the relaoding info.

Anyone else want to offer any comments?

I would liked to have had this same gun with ejectors and a cased reciever over the matte chrome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDB:
Any suggestions on someone to do the trigger work on these guns. My 450 also has a heavy set of triggers, the front is also the worst of the two.

Send it to JJ at Champlin's. After he's had it apart, ask him what his opinion is of the quality of these rifles then report back here.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
quote:

Send it to JJ at Champlin's. After he's had it apart, ask him what his opinion is of the quality of these rifles then report back here.

Don't expect any financial support though. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What, no one done this yet?!

They are only $5K rifles. You'd have though someone would have spent their lunch money by now and had the triggers worked over Smiler

I don't mind rubbing pennies till they beg forgiveness but a terrible trigger I can't abide.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
What, no one done this yet?!

They are only $5K rifles. You'd have though someone would have spent their lunch money by now and had the triggers worked over Smiler

I don't mind rubbing pennies till they beg forgiveness but a terrible trigger I can't abide.

I'm on the verge. But JJ isn't going to do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, yeah.

But for the price of about fourteen of these, you can have a bespoke Holland & Holland round action. Price does not include two trips across the pond.

Just sayin'...

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
These things are just killing me. I wish I hadn't opened the thread. Question would be .450 NE or .450-400 ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16529 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
These things are just killing me. I wish I hadn't opened the thread. Question would be .450 NE or .450-400 ...

. . . .450 NE.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I am so friggin tired of reading this word and not quite knowing what it meant ...
Confused
Countless years of school and this place is the first I had ever read or heard the word bespoke. coffee

You couldn't just say "custom made"? Roll Eyes

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
. . . .450 NE.

I don't know Smiler .450 NE or .450-400 ?

Gotta remember these are the same weight guns. 450 brass is more expensive, bullets are cheaper and lots of choices. The recoil is a good bit harder with a 500 gr bullet or the 480s over the 450/400. Perfect gun weight for caliber if you are required to do a lot of walking and want a big stick at the end of the walk.

450-400 has a little less recoil with a 400 gr bullet, brass is cheaper. Bullets are more expensive and less of a choice on bullet weights. Bullet penetration is just shy of incredible. Gun weight and caliber is a better balance even according to the hunters from the turn of the last century.

No flies on either caliber in the Sabatti.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
450NE if for no other reason than the great selection of quality bullets!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
450NE if for no other reason than the great selection of quality bullets!

That was the easy answerSmiler But I'd be the 450/400s get shot a lot more...then and now.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
.450 NE = Any animal, any time

.400/.450 = Most animals, most of the time

Mike