New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Scope Mounts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed this post orginally as I didn't have a Chapuis then.

After reading through this I have to disagree with N E 450 No2 about the scope height. I have the factory swivel mounts and if I mount the rifle with my eyes closed in the most comfortable postition, then the scope is too high.

The DAC is 1 1/2 and the DAH is 2 1/2 and if the drop was any less I couldn't use the iron sights.

To be ideal the scope would need to be 1/4 to 1/2" or slightly lower. This would not be possible due to the already minimal clearance of the release lever.

Either your double is perfect for irons or perfect for you scope but NOT both. While you can learn to adjust your cheek weld it is not ideal.

It is too bad you can't set it up for a scope primarily and still be able to use the irons but if you set it up perfectly for a scope you can't see the irons. Kind of sucks since 95% of your shooting will be with the scope with an adjusted cheek weld.

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geoff

Do not know what to say except I find my Chapuis with scope fits me as well as any other scoped gun I have ever used.

It maybe because I have shot it so much.

Also I have used a lot of European rifles, and "Sniper" type rifles and they tend to use bigger scopes that are mounted a little higher, thus calling for a more "head up" position.

I think the Claw mount would be stronger because the scope is held down to the rifle by the front and rear ring.

I think the pivot is plenty strong enough for a 9,3, but on a 400 or a 470 I recommend the Claw Mount.

No doubt in my mind that a properly fitted Claw Mount is the best mount of ALL.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geoff

You can always attach a lace on, or slip on cheek piece that fits YOUR face perfectly to the scope on your Chapuis.

If you are hunting DG then I would use a slip on so it would be easy and fast to remove in case you decide to go to irons for a follow up.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you folks loosen those screws holding the blocks in place?
On my UGEX they have a very narrow screw head slot and once I ground down a screw driver that would fit it the blade was so narrow it twisted without loosening the screws.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I sent my Chapuis to my Gunsmith and had him attach my EAW Pivot Mounts to the barrels.

I love my EAW mounts!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have that exact same scope (Leupold 1.5-5) on my Chapuis 9.3 in Pivot mounts and it works fine. I will send you pics via email tonight. No problem with clearance and the scope sits pretty darn low. Your barrels should come with the bases already installed into the rib cutouts. Then it's a simple matter of installing the scope in the rings. No more difficult than a normal scope installation as long as the bases are already on the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
How do you folks loosen those screws holding the blocks in place?
On my UGEX they have a very narrow screw head slot and once I ground down a screw driver that would fit it the blade was so narrow it twisted without loosening the screws.

I ended up using one of those aluminum handled S&W mini screw drivers that used to come with their revolvers back in the 60s and 70s and while pushing down on the screw driver I turned the screws out with vise grips on the screw driver. The screw driver was shot after the job was done.

The bastards are really in there!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Geoff

Do not know what to say except I find my Chapuis with scope fits me as well as any other scoped gun I have ever used.

It maybe because I have shot it so much.

Also I have used a lot of European rifles, and "Sniper" type rifles and they tend to use bigger scopes that are mounted a little higher, thus calling for a more "head up" position.

I think the Claw mount would be stronger because the scope is held down to the rifle by the front and rear ring.

I think the pivot is plenty strong enough for a 9,3, but on a 400 or a 470 I recommend the Claw Mount.

No doubt in my mind that a properly fitted Claw Mount is the best mount of ALL.

It isn't horrible but I just don't love that feeling of having a high position above the stock, it doesn't feel nearly as solid to me.

With the irons it is like shooting a shotgun, I can shoulder it with my eyes closed and be dead on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I sent my Chapuis to my Gunsmith and had him attach my EAW Pivot Mounts to the barrels.

I love my EAW mounts!
Rusty,I thought you had Tally mounts on your Chapius.

DRSS

Posts: 41 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the quarter rib of the Chapuis is long enough to mount a european scope (they are fairly long) in claw mounts and still maintain proper eye-relief. For me this would mean that the occular of the scope is placed directly above the safety lever. Does anyone have pictures of such a mount?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Zambezi,
I did. I didn't like them. So I ordered the EAWs over the phone from NECG and Tip Burns put them on the rifle.
They pivot easy are very sturdy and come back to zero every time!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote