Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Scope Mounts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
Can anyone send me some photos of scope mounts on a Chapuis. I am trying to understand the difference between the pivot mount and the claw mount?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe
I do not have pictures but I can tell you the difference.
I have the Chapuis pivot mounts on my 9,3x74R double.
To remove the scope you turn a lever on the rear ring and "pivot" the scope to the left. At 90 degeres you lift the front ring out of the base. They go back to zero 100%.

I have claw mounts on other guns. To remove the scope you pull back on two ears on the rear base, lift the back of the scope up and the front "claws" will come out of the front base.
They too go back to zero 100%.
Both systems work good, the claw mounts have the advantage in that both front and rear rings are taking up the recoil, not just the front ring on pivot mounts.
However you can mount larger objective scopes with a pivot mount lower on the rifle.
Example a 1,5x6 Swarovski with its 42mm objective lens could not be mounted in claw mounts on my 450/400 without being way to high. I had to use a 1-4x24 S&B, a scope with a straight tube objective.

Hope all this makes sense.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
So if I mount a straight tube scope in pivot mounts will it be sitting too high? I plan on using a 1.5 x 5 Leupold...sounds like the claw may be a better way to go?

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
No the pivot mount will not be to high. It is not necessarly higher than a claw mount, it can accomodate a bigger objective bell than a claw mount.
What rifle do you have?

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I am in on the Chapuis group buy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe
You can use the Pivot Mount without worry. Mine works 100%.
You will really like your Chapuis 9,3x74R, it is one of the best, [I think it is THE best] hunting rifle under 40 cal on Planet Earth.
I have 2 scopes in rinjgs sighted in for my Chapuis. First a leupold 2.5x8 with the Heavy Duplex. This is a perfect scope for the 9,3, however on my fiorst trip to Africa my PH suggested i have a scope with an Illuminated reticle for leopard and lion over bait. So I bought another set of rings and mountd a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the illuminated circle dot reticle. i really like this scope. In fact i shot my buffalpo on my last safari an last light with this setup with the reticle illuminated. I doubt I could have made the shot with a non illuminated reticle as we were in thick thick bush.
The 9,3 Chapuis is a great hunting rifle, a great cartridge, it deserves the best scope.
Think hard about the 1.5-6x42 Illuminated circle dot Swarovski.
I like the Chapuis QD pivot mounts. I have killed about 50% of the animals with the Chapuis with iron sights.
The Chapuis 9,3 with scope in QD mounts is an awsome hunting rifle.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I removed the blocks in the rib on my Chapuis and machined Ruger bases to replace. Used the same screw holes. Then used Ruger rings. I had a 1.5x5 Leupold Vari XIII. Could not use low rings if I remember I had to go to medium height. Problem was you couldn't operate the top lever with the scope eyepiece so close on top. I couldn't get my thumb under to open. Only problem I see with low mounts. The low rings were really beautiful for speed though. Perfect alinment.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe
Read my African hunt report.
My 9,3 Chapuis impressed not only me but the videographer and the PH. IT IS THE ONLY RIFLE YOU NEED, for any animal on the Planet.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I look forward to getting my hands on a this rifle. I am sure it will get some use. My questions are more on how to have the thing built. I plan to use this with a scope as the primary sight and am not sure which mounting type to order. I guess both the swing mount and the claw will work, however since I have the ability to choose between the two I need more information to make the best decision. I appreciate the feedback but would really like to see some photos of both types of mounting systems. The Chapuis catalog is of no help and I have yet to find any photos on the web. If some of you guys can send me a few photos I would greatly appreciate it.

R

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe
I would recommend the pivot mount and a scope with a 42 mm objective to give you good low light capability. I have found the Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the Illuminated reticle to be about perfect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe

You have a PM.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,

I am using a claw mount on my Chapuis 9.3x74R, it's the lowest mounting possible.
It's really fine but costs as much as a M70.
This mount is CNC taylor made by J.J. Sipp in Strasbourg.
Tomorrow, when at my office, I'll send You pics.

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Jean,
That would be great. Zimbabwe brought up something that I had not though of in terms of the scopt clearing the action lever. I wanted to stay with the small tube Leupold to keep the scope low. If this is not possible then maybe I should go ahead and get a larger scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This whole discussion brings up the underlying problem of trying to make a rifle work with both a scope and iron sights. Problem is, it is absolutely impossible to make it work well with both. The best you can do is a working compromise.

I have fought the problem ever since I got a Ruger 416. It fits me perfectly for the iron sights, but when I added a scope in QR rings, the scope is too high and the gun is much less pleasant to shoot, due to having to hold my cheek loosely on the comb. I ended up with the lowest rings and the smallest scope possible. Still isn't real comfortable with the scope, but it works.

With a double, I think the problem is worse. Most bolt actions have stocks designed for high sights. Doubles more resemble shotguns in stock dimensions. Putting a scope, particularly a large objective one, on a double is just asking to get popped in the cheek.

If the intent, as it is generally with the 9.3x74, is to use a scope most of the time, then I believe the stock needs to be as high as possible while still being able to use the iron sights. For this reason, I ordered mine with higher than normal comb height in order to make the scope more useable.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Iron sights on the Chapuis 9,3 are kinda high. Still I have to cheek the rifle fairly hard to "look through them".
I have found the stock to be perfect for the scope.

You can see their pivot mount if you go to William Larkin Moore's web site, click on inventory and scroll down to the 30-06 Imperial. It shows the pivot mount.

www.doublegun.com

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
The Iron sights on the Chapuis 9,3 are kinda high. Still I have to cheek the rifle fairly hard to "look through them".
I have found the stock to be perfect for the scope.

www.doublegun.com

What is drop on your stock?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe:

What is the difference in price? I always hate to disagree with Tony (NE 450 No 2). He is an expert and a good friend. I've shot his Chapuis with the scope on. However, if the price difference between the pivot and the claw is less than $1000, GET THE CLAW. They're worth that much difference, and more. Even larger objective scopes can be mounted just as low with the claw as is possible with the pivot, by simply placing the hooks in the rear rather than in front. Chapuis does this regularly.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what the cost differnce will be. My guess is about $250

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe:

That makes it a no-brainer.
-----------------------------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
400 Nitro is correct.
If you mount the claw bases with the release base in the front the scope would pivot to the rear and thus a bigger objective bell could be mounted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe
My Chapuis is the standard UGEX

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Roscoe
My Chapuis is the standard UGEX

would you be so kind as to measure the drop at the front and rear of the stock. As part of the group buy, these rifles are being made to our specifications. I can choose drop, cast, and LOP. I have given Dale the details on my Merkel and Searcy but they are not set up with scopes...I am in no man's land?

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Here are the pictures of my claw-mounted scope on my RGEX.
Along another Chapuis double for comparison.

J B de Runz

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I would think that the swing off would be more pactical if one wanted to have more than one scope for the rifle, since the additional rings would not need to be gunsmith fitted to the bases. Am I missing sonething?

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the fact that it's a double, not a bolt rifle. Just not the same. "Practical" with a scoped double is the ability to mount and dismount the scope as simply and rapidly as possible, as needed. Without this feature, you give up part of the benefit that you choose a double over a bolt rifle in order to obtain. The claw is much faster and easier to use. In scoping a double, were I stuck with something other than the claw, I wouldn't scope it at all.
------------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
If the difference in time it takes to remove a pivot mount over a claw mount scope is that important then you are in deep trouble by even hunting wherever you are. I thought the real reason for owning a double rifle was 2 quick shots. I personally believe this double magic has been carried to truly mountainous proportions. After the first 2 shots you are very little if ANY inconvienced by a bolt gun. I'm pretty sure even I can work the bolt as quickly as 2 rounds can be loaded. A short barreled WELL FITTED bolt gun is easily as quick as a double.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Jean,
Thanks for posting the photos. Does the scope cause you any problems loading or unloading the chambers?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe
I will measure my stock demensions tommorrow.
I have guns with claw mounts and my Chapuis has their pivot mount. In actual practice there is no difference in speed of mount or dismount.

Dave you are correct in the assumption that extra rings do not need to be hand fitted with the pivot mount. I have two scopes in rings in the pivot mount for my Chapuis. With the pivot mount it is easier to mount a bigger objective scope lower.
Both of my scopes in the pivot mount go back to zero perefectly.
On a hard kicker claw mounts do have the advantage of bearing the recoil forces on both the front and rear ring.
However on a hard kicker a 1-4 scope with a straight tube is more approperiate, so claw mounts are my choice there.
However on a 9,3x74R Chapuis I really like the Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the illuminated circle dot reticle.

posted Hide Post
Art S.
How much higher than normal did you order your comb? My guns that actually seem to fit all have a drop at comb of 1 1/4" and a DAH around 2 1/4". I'm thinking of ordering with a drop at comb of around 1/2" to 3/4" and using a scope exclusivly on a 7x65mmR. Does this seem like a reasonable amount of increase in DAC to any one?

Roscoe,
Are you going to use the dimensions of your other rifles or take a guess as to how much higher your comb should be to accomodate the higher mounted scope?

Doug

Posts: 15 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
Jean,
Thanks for posting the photos. Does the scope cause you any problems loading or unloading the chambers?

Roscoe,

No. The clearance is sufficent for a broad thumb to open the rifle. Loading and unloading are not impeded.
Now I'll measure my drop at comb.

J B de Runz

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
N E 450 N°2

quote:
With the pivot mount it is easier to mount a bigger objective scope lower.
Both of my scopes in the pivot mount go back to zero perefectly.

You are perfectly right about the advantages of the pivot mount.
Many people think the pivot mount is stronger than the claw mount.
Your opinion?

J B de Runz

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have given them the drop figures from a Merkel that fits me very well. From there Chapuis can calculate the correct drop for scope use...at least that is the plan. Once again I intend on using this as a light rifle and doubt the scope will be removed for hunting use.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I am taking a bit of a different approach to stock dimensions. My assumption (perhaps incorrectly) is that the stock dimensions are much more critical with the open sights as the sights should automatically align when the gun comes to the shoulder. As a consequence, I have given the dimensions I use on my shotguns. I find that I tend to use a scope more deliberately than iron sights and that my eye will tend to align with the reticle, so dimensions with the scope are less critical. If I am missing some concept here, please educate me.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I would just be clear that you specify what the primary sighting system will be. If you plan on using the rifle with the scope most of the time I would recomend having less drop...that will make iron sights a little less cumfortable to use but still usable. If you have the rifle set up or use with irons, you may find that your head will sit higher on the stock with a scope. The way I look at it is that if they are going to make a stock...they might as well make it fit me.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
As I understand this topic, for a UGEX, these rifles are drilled and tapped for mounts. Is the factory the only ones that make the rings and mounts? Who else does them? Especially the QD style.
Any thoughts on the Leopold lever QD's?
Thanks

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Roscoe:

Thanks for the feedback and good advice. Based on the issues that you raise, for me in a reactive situation, I would have to think a lot less about raising my head slightly to use a scope than to cheek the rifle harder for the irons and risk shooting over whatever is bearing down on or fleeing away from me.

Mike:

It is my impression that the swing off mount that Chapuis uses is the EAW; hoepfully someone will correct me if I am wrong. I don't think there really is such a thing as a standard claw mount. If I were considering and American mount, I would probably go with the Talley mounts. The advantage of the claw or swing off is that there is only one lever or button to manipulate and a quick pivot to remove the scope, whereas the Leupold/Talley/Warne require more motions.

Dave

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
As I understand this topic, for a UGEX, these rifles are drilled and tapped for mounts. Is the factory the only ones that make the rings and mounts? Who else does them? Especially the QD style.
Any thoughts on the Leopold lever QD's?
Thanks

I am also a little confused over what these come with from the factory. I think the rifles are supplied with removable blocks in the rib. You can attach scope bases to this area but I have no idea what types of bases will fit. I have also seen photos of Chapuis rifles with what appear to be cuts in the rib to allow use of ruger scope rings. Not sure if this was a custom set up or if it came that way from the factory. I have never seen any Leupold or Talley systems on Chapuis rifles. Most people are using pivot or claw systems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen
I would just recommend you get the standard stock demensions. On my Chapuis I have to cheek the rifle a little hard to see the iron sights. The stock works perfectly with the scope. I have taken about the same amount of game with iron sights as I have with the scope.
I have taken turkey, deer, black bear, wild pigs, cow elephant, and some small game with the iron sights. With the scope I have taken turkey, wild pigs, bobcat, coyote, deer, 12 impala, 3 baboon, civet cat, side striped jackel, klipspringer, waterbuck, kudu, 3 zebra, giraffe, and a cape buffalo.

The Chapuis doubles for the American market come with 2 sections pre cut in the rib.
You remove 4 screws, lift out the 2 rib sectikons and install the bases, either pivot mount or claw mount. The pivot mount on my rifle was made by EAW. I have two different ring systems. One has a little lever at the rear of the rear ring, it came with the bases. When i got my second set of rikngs, they are marked Chapuis adn have a lever on the side of the rear ring. Both sets fit the bases and return to zero.
I consider the pivot mount plenty strong enough for the 9,3x74R. However on a 400 or up I would prefer the claw mount, which is what I am having installed on my 450/400.
On my 9,3 I have a Leupold 2.5-8 with the heavy duplex and a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the illuminated circle dot reticle.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that information! It was as clear as mud before! Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can they be easily installed by an amateur in the Chapuis UGEX?

What prices are claw x pivot?

Posts: 54 | Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil | Registered: 08 October 2007Reply With Quote