Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Purchase
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a bird hunt in Georgia. Lots of moving "family parts" going on, so nothing planned sad to say Frowner

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Someone mentioned parachutes, trust you all wear them when travelling to Africa or do you actually rely on the reliability of the modern aircraft to get you there safely dancing

Great analogy without even realizing what you said!

Traveling to Africa, or any flying on any airliner ... not a dangerous endeavor. No parachutes needed. Sort of like hunting quail.

Flying fighter aircraft, low/fast, on and off of ships, possible combat environment ... dangerous endeavor. Parachutes and ejection seats advisable. NOT like hunting quail!

Cool

Tell that to all those commercial travelers killed last year and so far this year. How many military airman anywhere in the world were lost in fighter aircraft in the same period?

Dude, you don't have a clue as to which side of your mouth you're speaking out of at the time.

In the first post, you claim no parachutes necessary on commercial flights due to their reliability.

When I agree with you that flying commercial is typically not a dangerous activity requiring the use of parachutes, certainly not when compared to certain types of military flying where they are highly advisable, you come back with "tell that to all those commercial travelers killed last year and so far this year"!

Then, in the SAME post, you say "if we have a fear of being killed in a plane crash getting to Africa then we wouldn't fly."!!

faint

What this all tells me is that you're willing to contradict yourself in order to ATTEMPT to score a "gotcha" point without regard to continuity of logic. A fact one must consider along with your admission of having not hunted DG with a DR when considering your advise on double rifle configuration.

Whistling

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
A fact one must consider along with your admission of having not hunted DG with a DR when considering your advise on double rifle configuration.
Whistling

You surprise me Todd, your conjecture above always manages to get trotted out, perhaps you should note the OP is a lefty wanting advise suitable for a lefty, in your thinking that should disqualify the involvement of any but lefties in this discussion, yes? BTW I am a lefty.

Posts: 3879 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
A fact one must consider along with your admission of having not hunted DG with a DR when considering your advise on double rifle configuration.
Whistling

You surprise me Todd, your conjecture above always manages to get trotted out, perhaps you should note the OP is a lefty wanting advise suitable for a lefty, in your thinking that should disqualify the involvement of any but lefties in this discussion, yes? BTW I am a lefty.

That's almost as bad as someone arguing about regulating double rifles despite not having ever actually regulated a double rifle.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
quote:
quote:
Whistling

That's almost as bad as someone arguing about regulating double rifles despite not having ever actually regulated a double rifle.

Aaron, we were actually originally discussing trigger types which were not unique to double rifles although some seem to think this is exclusive to doubles. My only involvement in the discussion was as a lefty and knowing how difficult it is to acquire certain types of firearms to suit lefties was that the OP shouldn't rule out a gun just because it has a single inertia trigger. The discussion did deteriorate as they usually do into other comparisons and conjectures. I do have years of experience of gun work and gun handling and engineering along with having used a modern firearm with a single inertia trigger. It matters not if the firearm is a shotgun, in fact if anything when using it for competition shooting, no one including myself would ever put up a trigger mechanism which proved to be unreliable in this sport. I have fired thousands upon thousand of rounds both factory and handloads with this trigger and it has never failed. The large majority of DG shot in Africa or any other part of the world has been done perfectly safely with bolt actions, one round, one trigger.

I can't argue the issue of reliability anymore. If double rifle users are so paranoid on which trigger type is going to save them from certain death in Africa maybe they need to review the type of firearm they use. How about we see some statistics from the double rifle users as to how many times they have had to use the second barrel because the first failed to fire in a dangerous game situation. Statistics speak louder than might needs.

Posts: 3879 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
That comment wasn't directed at you. Years ago in another thread regarding double rifle regulation Todd Williams brought up a mythical double rifle that shot both barrels into one hole at any range. I came along with my experience gathered from regulating double rifles(up to around 60 now) and said that couldn't be. If a double rifle shoots both barrels into one hole at 25yds that means it has converged. Anything beyond 25yds will start crossing and as range lengthens the spread will too. The optimum regulation will be shooting parallel, but even then that's not truly "shooting into one hole". That started a whole internet fight because I apparently called him out. No evidence ever came about.

Now here I am calling out him calling out your hypocrisy by bringing up his past hypocrisies on another subject. Hell im lost.

Now do you see where my initial comment was headed?

Oh, and a proper double rifle has two triggers.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:

AMEN!

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:

AMEN!

...And amen to that amen! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a double rifle shoots both barrels into one hole at 25yds that means it has converged. Anything beyond 25yds will start crossing and as range lengthens the spread will too. The optimum regulation will be shooting parallel, but even then that's not truly "shooting into one hole".

Aaron;
The matter all depends on whether or not one embraces Euclidian Geometry and the Parallel Postulate. A man who believes that non-parallel lines have an infinite number of intersections might persuade himself to believe that a double would shoot both barrels into the same hole at various ranges. Perhaps such an individual is merely brilliant. Or perhaps, just full of crap.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
That comment wasn't directed at you. Years ago in another thread regarding double rifle regulation Todd Williams brought up a mythical double rifle that shot both barrels into one hole at any range. I came along with my experience gathered from regulating double rifles(up to around 60 now) and said that couldn't be. If a double rifle shoots both barrels into one hole at 25yds that means it has converged. Anything beyond 25yds will start crossing and as range lengthens the spread will too. The optimum regulation will be shooting parallel, but even then that's not truly "shooting into one hole". That started a whole internet fight because I apparently called him out. No evidence ever came about.

Now here I am calling out him calling out your hypocrisy by bringing up his past hypocrisies on another subject. Hell im lost.

Now do you see where my initial comment was headed?

Sorry Aaron, I got lost in the translation, my apologies. Yes I see where you were coming from now.

"Oh, and a proper double rifle has two triggers"

I won't argue with that Wink

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
[QUOTE]If a double rifle shoots both barrels into one hole at 25yds that means it has converged. Anything beyond 25yds will start crossing and as range lengthens the spread will too. The optimum regulation will be shooting parallel, but even then that's not truly "shooting into one hole".

The above is absolutely true!

quote:
Aaron;
A man who believes that non-parallel lines have an infinite number of intersections might persuade himself to believe that a double would shoot both barrels into the same hole at various ranges. Perhaps such an individual is merely brilliant. Or perhaps, just full of crap.

................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a Merkel or a Searcy, Everyone Ive seen shot great, Never owned a Merkel but have shot a lot of them..My favorite is a Searcy as they are so accurate..this is based on your post wanting the best buy for the buck..

As for me I will buy a Searcy or an English gun, mostly Ive owned English guns but they run in the $18,000 ot $25,000 category..A used Merkel can be found for about $6500 if you shop around, A Searcy runs a few grand more..

I like the 450-400-3" for anything Africa has to offer including elephant. If recoil is a non issue the .470 is damn hard to beat.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote