Tools

Double Rifle Purchase
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Let me try again to clarify what Taylor was saying below!

quote:
by Taylor page 325 in AFRICAN RIFLES AND CARTRIDGES;

The advantages claimed for having only one trigger instead of two on a DB weapon are so well known now that that it is necessary to go into here. Generally speaking, I would not recommend a beginner to use them because if you have one DB weapon so fitted, then
You must have all your DB guns and rifles similarly fitted. If you were only shoot non-dangerous game then it wouldn’t matter how many triggers you had but when you are close to dangerous beasts you don’t want to be having to remember things you might very easily forget.
You see, it would be absolutely essential that the mechanism should be of the selective variety, so that you could fire either barrel first, and you would have to remember to shift whatever mechanism there was after firing the right barrel before you could dare to open the breech for the purpose of reloading without firing the left barrel. If you had forgotten to shift whatever type of slide or other control there was in the selective mechanism before opening the breech (not having time to reload the right barrel) then you would find yourself snapping the lock on the empty of the empty right barrel when endeavoring to stop the charge, because opening the breech re-sets the mechanism of the single trigger device.
Besides, it is very, very seldom that you are called upon to fire so quickly that you couldn’t take the shot with two triggers

First off as Taylor was saying his and my opinion in this case was that though a single trigger can be problematic, it is especially so with a person who is new to double rifle of any configuration.

What he refers to on switching the selector to the other barrel after it fails to fire before opening after the left barrel is fired is because the old ele hunters fired the right barrel, then broke the rifle to reload the fired barrel so if the Askaris take issue you have both barrels loaded. If that misfire was a dud both barrel will fire after re-loading but if something in the rifle has gone wrong on that misfire barrel, the good barrel is the first one to fire. If the first misfire was ammo problem both barrels will still fire after fresh ammo in loaded, if the rifle is to blame, now you know you have only a working single shot and with the change of selection that barrel will fire every time it is reloaded, possibly getting you out of trouble.

The problem with a single trigger being a inertia is compounded by the fact you have to do something very quickly in a tight spot, because the rifle will not automatically re-set the trigger to the other barrel because of no recoil from the first barrel.

The selective feature in a mechanically shift single trigger is shifted by the pull of the first trigger. IN the problem case above with this trigger, once selected to the good barrel becomes a working single shot that will fire the good barrel first every time it is reloaded and if on the second try the other barrel still doesn't fire you simply use the rifle as a single shot, and only load that barrel every time.

With eagle27's comparing this to a bolt action has no merit at all here. We are not talking about bolt actions, nor are we discussing seasoned double rifle hunters, but folks who are new to double rifles, and nothing that applies to a bolt action has anything to do with a double rifle, from hand-loading to reliability. they are a different as a Buick car and a Piper-Cub airplane.

................................................................Hope this is at least as clear as Mississippi mud!

Sorry Mac I think you have missed the gist of this discussion completely. I fully understand what Taylor is saying but it has no relevance in today's world. This is like asking Henry Ford to provide comment on the average ultra reliable Japanese produced car of today. I won't mention USA made cars but never mind the DON will fix all that.

This whole issue of triggers is about reliability. What they may have been like in Taylor's day is nothing to do with what they are like today. Hell Taylor used to get his cartridges sent from England soldered in tins to prevent deterioration. That tells us that like all the hunters of his day and before his time that reliability of ammunition was an issue let alone reliability of the lock mechanisms of the day where misfires from either cause were not uncommon. Why did the Brits and the Yanks give their Lee Enfields and Springfields the ability to be quickly re-cocked by pulling the firing pin back with finger and thumb. Name a modern bolt rifle designed like that today.

It's all about reliability. It doesn't matter whether the double rifle user is highly experienced, a tyro or a dumbass, the necessity to have to make use of the second lock and barrel would only arise if the first lock or cartridge failed to fire (other than of course if having to use more than one shot to hit or kill an animal) and the chances of that happening today given a modern well made gun and ammo is just not worth considering. The hunter is by far more likely to be killed in a plane crash getting to Africa than getting into trouble because his gun malfunctions.

Give us some statistics if you like of how often this has happened to the modern DB user in Africa. Don't mention shootaway, we all know what happens when you remove the stock and have a fiddle.

Again reliability is the key and yes the bolt action is relevant to this discussion because anyone using a bolt gun on DG has to rely on that first shot always working.

I haven't seen anything on the news of late of piles of bodies of hunters in Africa killed because their bolt gun failed. Perhaps double gun users are a breed of their own and spend their entire 10 - 20 days on safari fretting that when they pull that first trigger it may not fire.

To Russ as one leftie to another, look around and get something that fits you well and if it happens to be a nice modern SxS or O/U with a single trigger, don't worry your head over whether it is an inertia or mechanical trigger, you won't know the difference and at least you won't have to worry about strumming and doubling as it seems many have experienced with double triggers. I cut my teeth on double triggers but would never consider them now just like I drive a modern 4x4 ute and not a Model A.

Posts: 3879 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:

It's all about reliability. It doesn't matter whether the double rifle user is highly experienced, a tyro or a dumbass, the necessity to have to make use of the second lock and barrel would only arise if the first lock or cartridge failed to fire (other than of course if having to use more than one shot to hit or kill an animal) and the chances of that happening today given a modern well made gun and ammo is just not worth considering. the chances of that happening today given a modern well made gun and ammo is just not worth considering. The hunter is by far more likely to be killed in a plane crash getting to Africa than getting into trouble because his gun malfunctions. ...

To Russ as one leftie to another, look around and get something that fits you well and if it happens to be a nice modern SxS or O/U with a single trigger, don't worry your head over whether it is an inertia or mechanical trigger, you won't know the difference and at least you won't have to worry about strumming and doubling as it seems many have experienced with double triggers. I cut my teeth on double triggers but would never consider them now just like I drive a modern 4x4 ute and not a Model A.

Add the fact that even way back in the day; James Sutherland hunted with a pair of single trigger Westley Richards .577's and never had a problem...

Single vs. double trigger? Just like box-locks vs. side-locks, any advantages possessed by side-locks and double-triggers are purely theoretical in today's world.

And they were probably purely theoretical by 1910 as well if you bought a good rifle and quality ammo.

"The envious are not satisfied with equality; they secretly yearn for superiority and revenge."

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
As a long time double trigger user, it's about practice and reflex. While shooting a friend's single trigger I could not get a quick second shot. I unfailingly went back for the second trigger. This happened even when I knew it was going to happen. I handed it back cursing.

Posts: 3462 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
There are individuals that still believe seat belts and airbags are unneeded;
there are even individuals that hold that ejection seats or ballistic parachutes are just extra weight in the aircraft.

To each his (their) own-
for me:
Double triggers and intercepting sears , please.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, I think Eagle has found a way to distort the whole thing I and Taylor was saying!

The issue here was how to work around a lefty being able to shoot a right handed double rifle with as little modification as possible.

Let me say here one final time, I only suggested a single trigger to the OP as a hedge against having to have the triggers changed to left hand configuration nothing more.

It seems Eagle thinks that a single trigger that requires recoil of the first shot to re-set the trigger is more reliable than a mechanical single trigger which is re-set mechanically by the pulling and releasing of the trigger for the first shot that is not dependent on recoil or no recoil of the first shot. That is simply a silly idea, and is absolutely not true.

Then he complains about the selective feature in a mechanical single trigger. With this type trigger it makes absolutely no difference whether the first shot is a dud or fires. The trigger is changed to the other barrel whether the right barrel fires or not. That is not the case with the inertia re-set single trigger. I that trigger is pulled and the barrel doesn't fire one must do something more to get the trigger to re-set to the other barrel.

Now which would you rather have in a close charge when you get a misfire on the first barrel?

I relation to the selective feature on a single trigger,it serves two purposes. #1 is it lets the shooter decide witch barrel he wants to fire first, which give him the choice to pull the back trigger first if he chooses that. #2 Where the choice of a selective single trigger is also a good choice is when or if he experiences a miss-fire on the first barrel. in that situation it is impossible to know if the cartridge in that barrel is a dud, or if something has become amiss with that lock in the rifle. The mechanical re-set trigger has already re-set the trigger to the other barrel so you have one more shot immediately, but since it is unknown why the first barrel did not fire, what Taylor was suggesting is the select the barrel that DID fire, before opening the barrels for the re-load, so that the barrel that DID fire will be first to fire now. The simple selecting a known good barrel will fire first if the problem happens to be the rifle instead of the ammo. This has nothing to do with the reliability of the single trigger but which is the safest type to use for the purpose explained above.

I find that folks who try to use shotguns to assume to tell others how is best to use a big bore double rifle against dangerous animals that often require several shots to put down for the count or the turn them away from that animals target, THE HUINTER, or other members of the hunting party! A big bull elephant is not a clay target, and many times he may require far more than one shot to turn him or put him down! In that case having a know-it-all attitude where the bite backs are concerned is not the best attitude to have for a novice double rifle shooter. With that inexperienced double rifle shooter the least amount of things needed remember to work this unfamiliar rifle in a tight situation the better. The whole idea of a double rifle is to have two independent working rifle on one stock. Anything that goes against that very simple way of getting off the shots needed is something that is NOT NEEDED at all.

................................................................This is my last word on this discussion, Carry on! BYE wave

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
There are individuals that still believe seat belts and airbags are unneeded;
there are even individuals that hold that ejection seats or ballistic parachutes are just extra weight in the aircraft.

To each his (their) own-
for me:
Double triggers and intercepting sears , please.

At last! dancing

We have found something to replace the CRF vs. PF debate...

After all - and old time Ivory Hunter like James Sutherland, WTF did he know... stir

www.theexplora.com/james-suthe...77-westley-richards/

"The envious are not satisfied with equality; they secretly yearn for superiority and revenge."

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gentlemen, I think Eagle has found a way to distort the whole thing I and Taylor was saying!

The issue here was how to work around a lefty being able to shoot a right handed double rifle with as little modification as possible.

Let me say here one final time, I only suggested a single trigger to the OP as a hedge against having to have the triggers changed to left hand configuration nothing more.

It seems Eagle thinks that a single trigger that requires recoil of the first shot to re-set the trigger is more reliable than a mechanical single trigger which is re-set mechanically by the pulling and releasing of the trigger for the first shot that is not dependent on recoil or no recoil of the first shot. That is simply a silly idea, and is absolutely not true.

Then he complains about the selective feature in a mechanical single trigger. With this type trigger it makes absolutely no difference whether the first shot is a dud or fires. The trigger is changed to the other barrel whether the right barrel fires or not. That is not the case with the inertia re-set single trigger. I that trigger is pulled and the barrel doesn't fire one must do something more to get the trigger to re-set to the other barrel.

Now which would you rather have in a close charge when you get a misfire on the first barrel?

I relation to the selective feature on a single trigger,it serves two purposes. #1 is it lets the shooter decide witch barrel he wants to fire first, which give him the choice to pull the back trigger first if he chooses that. #2 Where the choice of a selective single trigger is also a good choice is when or if he experiences a miss-fire on the first barrel. in that situation it is impossible to know if the cartridge in that barrel is a dud, or if something has become amiss with that lock in the rifle. The mechanical re-set trigger has already re-set the trigger to the other barrel so you have one more shot immediately, but since it is unknown why the first barrel did not fire, what Taylor was suggesting is the select the barrel that DID fire, before opening the barrels for the re-load, so that the barrel that DID fire will be first to fire now. The simple selecting a known good barrel will fire first if the problem happens to be the rifle instead of the ammo. This has nothing to do with the reliability of the single trigger but which is the safest type to use for the purpose explained above.

I find that folks who try to use shotguns to assume to tell others how is best to use a big bore double rifle against dangerous animals that often require several shots to put down for the count or the turn them away from that animals target, THE HUINTER, or other members of the hunting party! A big bull elephant is not a clay target, and many times he may require far more than one shot to turn him or put him down! In that case having a know-it-all attitude where the bite backs are concerned is not the best attitude to have for a novice double rifle shooter. With that inexperienced double rifle shooter the least amount of things needed remember to work this unfamiliar rifle in a tight situation the better. The whole idea of a double rifle is to have two independent working rifle on one stock. Anything that goes against that very simple way of getting off the shots needed is something that is NOT NEEDED at all.

................................................................This is my last word on this discussion, Carry on! BYE wave

Yep I can't add much more, especially where being credited with saying things I didn't say. Someone mentioned parachutes, trust you all wear them when travelling to Africa or do you actually rely on the reliability of the modern aircraft to get you there safely dancing

Posts: 3879 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep I can't add much more, especially where being credited with saying things I didn't say. Someone mentioned parachutes, trust you all wear them when travelling to Africa or do you actually rely on the reliability of the modern aircraft to get you there safely dancing

English is not your first language I surmise---

That's right-- you're Aussie-
it would have been
Cockney Convict Slang--
rotflmo

I'll still take two triggers and intercepting sears--
Thank you
Cool

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
quote:

English is not your first language I surmise---

That's right-- you're Aussie-
it would have been
Cockney Convict Slang--
rotflmo

I'll still take two triggers and intercepting sears--
Thank you
Cool

Doesn't matter what you want to take, the OP is left handed and looking for a double that has a stock and triggers that suit him.

BTW you do need a lesson in geography. The US in parts is close to Russia (probably a bit closer than you think with the DON involved now) but we don't call you Russian patriot

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW you do need a lesson in geography. The US in parts is close to Russia (probably a bit closer than you think with the DON involved now) but we don't call you Russian patriot

Alaska is near to the Russian possession of Kamchatka, that is true, New Zealanders are Kiwis , not Aussies. On that we agree!

I would like to ask you how many double rifles have you owned, and where did you use them for the so-called dangerous game hunting?
Speaking of proper gun handling, Eagle aren't you the guy who says the safest way to carry a BOLT ACTION is to walk around in the bush with the bolt open, and that it is required by law in New Zealand?
If you are that guy, I simply must disagree! I can’t think of a better way to fill the rifle with bush debris than walking around in the bush with an open bolt rifle! That opinion makes about as much sense as a non-selective, inertia single trigger on a dangerous game double rifle! Additionally, what seems to you to be a MODERN inertia non-selective single trigger is certainly not a new invention, and has been around as long as hammerless doubles have been around, but as far as I can find, they have always been fitted in shotguns not big bore double rifle. The reason for that being quail are not dangerous, and if you fail to get a shot off, all that is lost is a six ounce bird. The best single trigger on a double rifle is the one from Westley Richards and that one is not only a mechanically re-set, but a selective trigger as well.

The fact is the safest way to build a S/S double rifle for a DGR is with two triggers and a lock system like the Krieghoff double that can be carried fully loaded with the striker springs relaxed. The pushing of the Combi-cocker switch forward cocks the strikers. However once cocked this rifle can be opened for any reason and the rifle remains cocked. If fired and opened to be re-loaded the rifle re-cocks it’s self.

This in not true of the Blaser S-2 that some think to have the same system. That double de-cocks the rifle if opened for any reason, and must be manually re-cocked when closed every time it is opened for any reason.

Anything that requires one to do other than shoot, re-load and shoot again is a handicap to the shooter. Things that must be remembered in a time of great stress, is a recipe for disaster!

............................................... Just saying! patriot

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much for your advice!!
I really appreciate you all taking the time out of your busy schedules.
Thank you
Russ

Posts: 5 | Location: rbleiler@comcast.net | Registered: 19 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Alaska is near to the Russian possession of Kamchatka, that is true, New Zealanders are Kiwis , not Aussies. On that we agree!

I would like to ask you how many double rifles have you owned, and where did you use them for the so-called dangerous game hunting?
Speaking of proper gun handling, Eagle aren't you the guy who says the safest way to carry a BOLT ACTION is to walk around in the bush with the bolt open, and that it is required by law in New Zealand?
If you are that guy, I simply must disagree! I can’t think of a better way to fill the rifle with bush debris than walking around in the bush with an open bolt rifle! That opinion makes about as much sense as a non-selective, inertia single trigger on a dangerous game double rifle! Additionally, what seems to you to be a MODERN inertia non-selective single trigger is certainly not a new invention, and has been around as long as hammerless doubles have been around, but as far as I can find, they have always been fitted in shotguns not big bore double rifle. The reason for that being quail are not dangerous, and if you fail to get a shot off, all that is lost is a six ounce bird. The best single trigger on a double rifle is the one from Westley Richards and that one is not only a mechanically re-set, but a selective trigger as well.

The fact is the safest way to build a S/S double rifle for a DGR is with two triggers and a lock system like the Krieghoff double that can be carried fully loaded with the striker springs relaxed. The pushing of the Combi-cocker switch forward cocks the strikers. However once cocked this rifle can be opened for any reason and the rifle remains cocked. If fired and opened to be re-loaded the rifle re-cocks it’s self.

This in not true of the Blaser S-2 that some think to have the same system. That double de-cocks the rifle if opened for any reason, and must be manually re-cocked when closed every time it is opened for any reason.

Anything that requires one to do other than shoot, re-load and shoot again is a handicap to the shooter. Things that must be remembered in a time of great stress, is a recipe for disaster!

............................................... Just saying! patriot

Mac I am one of others who has promoted the half open bolt carry of bolt action rifles when hunting in a state of semi readiness. It is a practice that we have found in NZ over many years to considerably reduce firearms accidents. I think NZ is second to the US for firearms ownership despite the fact they we cannot own handguns other than for range shooting at specific clubs with continuing membership a pre-requisite for continued ownership of handguns. Similarly now for military style firearms. Other than that it is virtually free range ownership and use with no registration system for the normal hunting firearm.

The term half open bolt maybe confusing as it it not actually in the half open position but only in the position of the bolt handle lifted. For those bolt actions that have a bolt that will slide open too easily with the handle lifted we have them modified, again often a confusing term is used for this modification "half cock". Here in NZ we know what is meant and many dealers advertise and supply new rifles, Tikka's etc with the "half cock" modification already done.

This system works very well for our type of hunting. BTW the half open bolt is promoted as the safest way for carrying a bolt action but is not law in NZ just as our safety training among other things discourages shooting at animals on the skyline and encourages wearing hiviz clothing when hunting but neither of those are law and hunters can decide whether they wish to follow these recommendations. I have been a volunteer safety instructor for the NZ Police for nearly 35 years, undertaking instruction and administering the Police firearms safety examination required for a firearms licence so have some first hand knowledge of what works for us.

I do not dispute anything you have said above and have certainly not promoted inertia triggers, or single triggers over the "norm" for double rifles, only that they are an option and if in a modern well made firearm are a viable and safe option in my opinion. If as you say, inertia single triggers have not been fitted to double rifles then the OP would not likely ever come across one in his quest for a double that suited him so there is no argument on this. But if the OP took up your suggestion to perhaps look at an O/U, which would be a modern firearm, then my contention was that the inertia trigger should not discount ownership of a good O/U that fitted in other respects. Even a mechanically set single trigger is relying on certain aspects to happen so that the second shot by a second pull of the trigger is available. It too can fail. I am first to agree with you that two triggers and two locks gives greater surety than any single trigger although as many have found out, this is not fail safe either and for some users there can be issues of double discharge something I think you yourself has debated on this forum at times as to whether it is a mechanical or shooter problem.

In answer to your question, I have not owned a double rifle, as I mentioned I have used them but not on dangerous game. The ones I have used have ranged from a very nice old H&H double hammer gun to the modern German made doubles, O/U's and multi barreled guns. I have certianly owned and used my share of double shotguns. I was a registered arms dealer and gunsmith for many years and have spend a lifetime involved in mechanics and engineering. I do understand the mechanics of how most all firearms work and can distinguish between superb engineering and poor engineering. I have seen handmade firearms from the master gunsmiths of Ferlach with poor engineering aspects of some parts and indeed have had to modify and make a new part for one of my German friends Ferlach guns when he was out here in NZ within a day of heading off into the Alps for chamois and tahr.

I do not claim to know it all but I think I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. Mac you are probably in much the same position in your knowledge and use of firearms, obviously we will have differing opinions on some things but ultimately it is up to the OP who started this dicussion to decide for himself what he wants or is prepared to own.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac I am one of others who has promoted the half open bolt carry of bolt action rifles when hunting in a state of semi readiness. It is a practice that we have found in NZ over many years to considerably reduce firearms accidents. I think NZ is second to the US for firearms ownership despite the fact they we cannot own handguns other than for range shooting at specific clubs with continuing membership a pre-requisite for continued ownership of handguns. Similarly now for military style firearms. Other than that it is virtually free range ownership and use with no registration system for the normal hunting firearm.

The term half open bolt maybe confusing as it it not actually in the half open position but only in the position of the bolt handle lifted. For those bolt actions that have a bolt that will slide open too easily with the handle lifted we have them modified, again often a confusing term is used for this modification "half cock". Here in NZ we know what is meant and many dealers advertise and supply new rifles, Tikka's etc with the "half cock" modification already done.

This system works very well for our type of hunting. BTW the half open bolt is promoted as the safest way for carrying a bolt action but is not law in NZ just as our safety training among other things discourages shooting at animals on the skyline and encourages wearing hiviz clothing when hunting but neither of those are law and hunters can decide whether they wish to follow these recommendations. I have been a volunteer safety instructor for the NZ Police for nearly 35 years, undertaking instruction and administering the Police firearms safety examination required for a firearms licence so have some first hand knowledge of what works for us.

I do not dispute anything you have said above and have certainly not promoted inertia triggers, or single triggers over the "norm" for double rifles, only that they are an option and if in a modern well made firearm are a viable and safe option in my opinion. If as you say, inertia single triggers have not been fitted to double rifles then the OP would not likely ever come across one in his quest for a double that suited him so there is no argument on this. But if the OP took up your suggestion to perhaps look at an O/U, which would be a modern firearm, then my contention was that the inertia trigger should not discount ownership of a good O/U that fitted in other respects. Even a mechanically set single trigger is relying on certain aspects to happen so that the second shot by a second pull of the trigger is available. It too can fail. I am first to agree with you that two triggers and two locks gives greater surety than any single trigger although as many have found out, this is not fail safe either and for some users there can be issues of double discharge something I think you yourself has debated on this forum at times as to whether it is a mechanical or shooter problem.

In answer to your question, I have not owned a double rifle, as I mentioned I have used them but not on dangerous game. The ones I have used have ranged from a very nice old H&H double hammer gun to the modern German made doubles, O/U's and multi barreled guns. I have certianly owned and used my share of double shotguns. I was a registered arms dealer and gunsmith for many years and have spend a lifetime involved in mechanics and engineering. I do understand the mechanics of how most all firearms work and can distinguish between superb engineering and poor engineering. I have seen handmade firearms from the master gunsmiths of Ferlach with poor engineering aspects of some parts and indeed have had to modify and make a new part for one of my German friends Ferlach guns when he was out here in NZ within a day of heading off into the Alps for chamois and tahr.

I do not claim to know it all but I think I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't. Mac you are probably in much the same position in your knowledge and use of firearms, obviously we will have differing opinions on some things but ultimately it is up to the OP who started this dicussion to decide for himself what he wants or is prepared to own.

Thank you Nelson for clarifying the "OPEN BOLT" system in New Zealand. The name is misleading for this according to your description of the system.
There has been a similar system used for many years with bolt rifles, and that is the magazine loaded and the chamber empty and holding the trigger back while turning the bolt down leaving the striker spring relaxed. I have used that for many years with my bolt rifles while stalking the bush. No safer way to carry a bolt rifle.

As you said above the whole deal was simply a suggestion that rather than have double triggers re-worked. In the instance where he might choose a single trigger is only my, and Taylors suggestion that the mechanical type, with a selective type be used over any recoil re-set trigger, Nothing more!

I personally do not like single triggers on a big bore double rifle, and would have one only if I had no other choice, but I can assure it would not be an Inertia, non-selective type!

I have several O/U shotguns with single triggers but all are mechanically re-set
selective triggers so the different chokes can be selected depending of when walking up birds or shooting incoming birds.

..............It seems we simply must agree to disagree on this one.

I want to apologies to the OP for allowing my part in the hijack of his post for help!

.................................................................... old patriot

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Maybe look here...Only about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. I go over there every couple years. It's a fun vault to be in because they show you the door and leave you there alone to handle anything you want. Lots of cool rifles and I remember a few doubles also...hell I need to go back this spring.

http://www.champlinarms.com/

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of the guns you mention, I also would go with the Merkel...but you might consider getting Butch Searcy to build you a gun to your specs and be done with it...

His guns are the most accurate double rifles I have every owned with the exception of one Jefferys and it was not better but almost as good on the accuracy count...

Custom work on a used double can be incredibly expensive..finding the right English gun would be iff at best, finding the proper stock and triggers is not practicle..a new Searcy would have you proper cast off, modified triggers. and I do believe all should shoot the rear trigger first..The old BS about the gun being regulated front trigger first is bunk, everywone Ive shot shot the same regardless of how you fired the barrels..Lots of double rifle BS out there, some fact but mostly fiction.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=2993

Left hand...brand new? Smiler

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a long time double trigger user, it's about practice and reflex. While shooting a friend's single trigger I could not get a quick second shot. I unfailingly went back for the second trigger. This happened even when I knew it was going to happen. I handed it back cursing.

I've never had a problem with it. Shot my single trigger Boss on Monday 23 January and my late father's double trigger Henry Clarke on Saturday 28 January.

And if there were a problem why don't self-loading or bolt action rifle shooters suffer this issue when they pick up a shotgun or a double rifle with double triggers?

No trouble going from the a single trigger, for me, to a double trigger. The secret, I think, may be in the fit of the gun. Never find myself on the Boss reaching for a rear trigger that doesn't exist or on the Clarke trying to pull the same trigger twice.

But, and here may be the thing, I started on double trigger guns.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
quote:

I've never had a problem with it. Shot my single trigger Boss on Monday 23 January and my late father's double trigger Henry Clarke on Saturday 28 January.

And if there were a problem why don't self-loading or bolt action rifle shooters suffer this issue when they pick up a shotgun or a double rifle with double triggers?

No trouble going from the a single trigger, for me, to a double trigger. The secret, I think, may be in the fit of the gun. Never find myself on the Boss reaching for a rear trigger that doesn't exist or on the Clarke trying to pull the same trigger twice.

But, and here may be the thing, I started on double trigger guns.

Very interesting post! In my experience the three most common mistakes made by client double rifle shooters are #1 pulling the same trigger again for the second shot at a fleeing animal, #2 accidently strumming the back trigger, and not realizing both barrels have fire, and trying to shoot the second in an empty barrel, #3 which accounts for bolt rifles as well, is admiring the first shot and failing to fire a follow-up shot on an animal that did not go down to the first shot!

The absolute #1 on the shooting range for the guy who has never shot a big bore double with double triggers is not holding the rifle tight enough, and accidently strumming the back trigger on his first shot causing a double discharge.

If you shoot a double enough avoiding these mistakes simply comes with muscle memory over time! None of these mistakes are the fault of the rifle's design, but simply novice mistakes.

...................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same concerns, with the double triggers, on my .500 NE. When I ordered the gun, I had a set of 12 ga barrels made to fit. A few trips to the skeet range or a few dove shoots and it became automatic. Along with the felt recoil of the .500, and the ammo expense, it seemed the best way to reduce the learning curve. Andy#3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sound reasoning!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy#3:
I had the same concerns, with the double triggers, on my .500 NE. When I ordered the gun, I had a set of 12 ga barrels made to fit. A few trips to the skeet range or a few dove shoots and it became automatic. Along with the felt recoil of the .500, and the ammo expense, it seemed the best way to reduce the learning curve. Andy#3

I have an old double from 1879 with .577-500 rifle barrels and 12-bore barrels. It's cool to have both with one stock and action.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
... I haven't seen anything on the news of late of piles of bodies of hunters in Africa killed because their bolt gun failed ...

Maybe that's because they were not using a certain US rifle that is sometimes CRF and looks vaguely like a Mauser, which has a tendency not to fire because the mainspring is weak.

While, as Mac said, bolt and db rifles are hard to compare, the simple issue of that weak spring, not user replaceable, has something to say about all DG rifles: take no chances!

Were I to start my bird-shooting life again I would look for an O/U with double triggers - not only in case I ever got a double rifle but because single-trigger selectors are a PITA. Not only are some inclined to get stuck in the middle but, when you finally want to change the sequence, doing it is deadly slow compared with slipping your finger back to the other trigger. Then, you need to remember to change it back again.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my bird guns are, single OR double trigger, bored the same in both barrels. So the Boss and Henry Clarke are improved cylinder in both barrels and the BSA half choke in both barrels. As all my guns have fixed choke I've never seen any benefit in having one barrel with greater choke than the other for the shooting I do.

But do agree that 1/4 and 1/2 or better IMP and FULL on a double trigger gun have merit if the gun is used for walking up game. But with modern cartridges if I want a better pattern it's easier just to either use a plastic wad or go up a shot weight. I usually use 1 1/16 ounce or 1 ounce English #6 or 1 ounce English #7 in the two improved cylinder guns and 1 1/16 English #5 in the half choke gun.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
All my bird guns are, single OR double trigger, bored the same in both barrels. So the Boss and Henry Clarke are improved cylinder in both barrels and the BSA half choke in both barrels. As all my guns have fixed choke I've never seen any benefit in having one barrel with greater choke than the other for the shooting I do.

But do agree that 1/4 and 1/2 or better IMP and FULL on a double trigger gun have merit if the gun is used for walking up game. But with modern cartridges if I want a better pattern it's easier just to either use a plastic wad or go up a shot weight. I usually use 1 1/16 ounce or 1 ounce English #6 or 1 ounce English #7 in the two improved cylinder guns and 1 1/16 English #5 in the half choke gun.

I am sure the set-up you have with your shotguns works fine for you and your type of birding. However I have never seen a need to have a shotgun with the same choke in both barrels for type of hunting done here in the mid-west or western states of the USA.

We have a lot of open grassland for things like pheasant, and Blue quail where walking up birds may rise under foot or 30 yds out and with double riggers we tend to choose a improved cylinder in one barrel and modified or full choke I'm the other. with a single trigger we choke the same way for the upland birds, but because we also hunt dove over a water hole or stock pond the birds are all "IN-COMING" so both barrels may be used in a one, two fashion.

With this In-coming birds like dove they will most come in in pairs, and with a single trigger gun one must select which barrel fires first. when a pair are coming in together we fire on the pair at around 25 to 30 yds out, and the second bird will shy away but will slide in another 10 yds before he can turn, that close requires a more open choke will fire on the second pull of the trigger, makes for getting a lot of doubles on every pass.

There is nothing slow about changing barrel selection, a simple push of a button on the base of the trigger, or a simply push of a slide in the middle of the safety slide. NOw all of my side by side double shotguns are double trigger guns but all my over/under shotguns are single selective triggers. With the double trigger shotguns I don't need a selector, but on the single trigger shotguns I wouldn't have one without a selector switch.

None of this makes any difference with double trigger shotgun , but it makes a lot of difference with a big bore double rifle with a single trigger, being the fact that birds don't hurt shooters, but cape buffalo do, and the best way to have a double rifle IMO is double triggers, and second best is on a single trigger double rifle the trigger needs to be a mechanical/selective trigger. The inertia/non/ selective trigger is best left on a bird gun, or on the shop bench of the maker.
..........................................................Just one old mans opinion! old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes choke is a very personal thing. All of my shooting is incoming and I follow the Payne-Gallwey school of open choke.

A friend's Purdey, even, was bore true cylinder in the right barrel and improved cylinder in the left.

I hadn't quite the courage to go for that so opted for improved and improved.

The Boss is a non-selective single trigger so unless it was kept exclusively for walked-up game there's no benefit in a tighter choke left barrel.

I am strongly thinking about having the BSA taken out to 1/4 and 1/2 from 1/2 and 1/2 and may well do.

Here's where I shot. But the shooting lease isn't being renewed for next season. And in truth it was a whim. A chance that doesn't pass the same way twice. But at least I can say I once, before I turned sixty, dined at the top table.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
enfield, that is certainly a beautiful place. Most of the places where I hunt birds are wild birds in thousands of acres of ranch land. I'm the product of a ranch family from the upper Hill country of Texas.
Places like the one you posted are rare in Texas, and driven game hunts are illegal in most places in the USA. However we do have some hunting lodges where game birds are released on private property for day hunting, but though these places are nice, they don't look anything like the picture in your post!

................................................................. tu2

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it's a sort of "last hurrah" for me Mac. But at least I've finished in style. But yours is the proper hunting!

The last two days I shot there were 220 and 152 shot between ten of us. I don't suppose that I'll do that again for a while!

Next year I might just have a day on the walked up grouse which is the most similar in style to the hunting that you do?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
But at least I can say I once, before I turned sixty, dined at the top table.

quote:
Well it's a sort of "last hurrah" for me Mac. But at least I've finished in style. But yours is the proper hunting!

The last two days I shot there were 220 and 152 shot between ten of us. I don't suppose that I'll do that again for a while!

Next year I might just have a day on the walked up grouse which is the most similar in style to the hunting that you do?

Don’t give up too soon, you have a lot of hunting time left at age sixty! I’m 80 years old, and can’t remember the first time I shot a gun, or went hunting with my parents or grand parents. I received my first rifle at the age of six years, a 22 single shot Winchester Mod 67, and still shoot every hunting season here in the USA, Canada and Alaska, and have hunted Africa quite a bit. We use our big bore double rifles on wild bore for simply practice and I will stop hunting when they close the coffin. Texas has a problem with wild hogs, and we happily help reduce them for the Ranchers and farmers. There is saying in Texas, “there are two kinds of land in Texas, one with wild hogs, and the other that WILL have wild hogs” And we do our best at getting ahead of the birth rate of the very damaging critters.
A day hunting is head and shoulders above a day on the golf course! tu2

...............................................................Good hunting! old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a left handed shooter with left eye dominance and shoot double guns, both sxs and o&u with double triggers and thumb lever as per standard. Opening is easy - just push away the lever. Front trigger fires the right or bottom barrel. Left handed with a sxs, the right barrel recoils straight back, rather skweing as per the left - quicker to get onto the next target. Most o&u, front trigger fires the bottom barrel, so no issue here on recoil.

I have never had an issue with trigger finger setting off the second barrel when squeezing the front trigger.

Stock fit is important and critical is the cast. I am quite skinny so provided the stock is straight I can shoot it reasonably well. With most side by sides and over and unders without stock bolts (Merkels etc) have the stock bent left to right or to reduce or increase is not too much of a job nor expensive, but make sure there is good straight grain going through the hand of the stock. Not an issue on properly built older guns, but can be on mass produced modern guns with stock bolts - especially of they have pretty wood - most of they didn't have stock bolts wood fail sooner rather than later.

So going back to left handers using double rifles - find something you like with a straight stock and have it bent to your shape. And then shoot and enjoy it.

Posts: 984 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't often comment on this site. First, I am in my 9th year in the South African safari industry. Second, I am a graduate of one of the top PH schools. Third, I spend six months a year there. Fourth, I personally have taken elephant (at 10 meters), lion, cape buffalo, hippo, and croc. And have backed up on other dangerous game. I do tracking in the bosveld for wounded game. So, what works for the pros? Ans: a good quality double trigger S/S. All of us on the professional staff have at least one Merkel, DT. For tracking of plains game in the bosveld I use a light .45-70 DR. There's a lot of good discourse on AR...but sometimes things get wrapped around the axle. With DRs...quality and simplicity of operation

Regards...
Eagel One aka die Kolonel

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle One:
I don't often comment on this site. First, I am in my 9th year in the South African safari industry. Second, I am a graduate of one of the top PH schools. Third, I spend six months a year there. Fourth, I personally have taken elephant (at 10 meters), lion, cape buffalo, hippo, and croc. And have backed up on other dangerous game. I do tracking in the bosveld for wounded game. So, what works for the pros? Ans: a good quality double trigger S/S. All of us on the professional staff have at least one Merkel, DT. For tracking of plains game in the bosveld I use a light .45-70 DR. There's a lot of good discourse on AR...but sometimes things get wrapped around the axle. With DRs...quality and simplicity of operation

Regards...
Eagel One aka die Kolonel

Eagel One; I am pleased that you spoke to this board the reality as you have seen it and live it. Not all who want a double rifle understand what realty is in the bush. One of the needs of a hunter in Africa is a good quality double rifle that will do the work and be light to carry. A potential hunter of dangerous needs to understand that.

20 years ago I lived in South Africa. Are you to the West of Ellisras and outside the malaria bush? Even though I am now 75 years of age, just this week I began thinking that maybe I am mobile enough to endure another 14-hour flight to visit my friend's game farm to the East of Ellisras for wingshooting and plains game.

The most wonderful and varied wingshooting in the world is in Southern Africa--not South America, and most shooters going to Suid Afrika never consider it all all. Wingshooting in the bosveld and highveld of South Africa is an adventure in of itself and it is inexpensive compared to dangerous game shooting there. As long as you live you will never forget the two-weeks or so of this that you were there.
I like the month of July shooting there best of all.

Go before ANC steals the rest of the country and leave nothing for anyone to want to visit there.

Sincerely;

Transvaal, aka Steve

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goeie dag Transvaal ...

Dankie vir jou bevestiging. Sterkrivier is suid en effens oos van Ellisras. Naaste dorp is Mokopane. Vir die rekord, ek het 76 die afgelope 2 Januarie. Kan vensterbank tred te hou met 'n tarcker vir 'n halwe dag. Een laaste gedagte, as mense wil dubbel gewere besit en fantaseer oor safari, dan gaan al die pad en leer Afrikaans. Ek het 31,5 jaar in die lugmag, vandaar "die Kolonel"

Eagle One aka die Kolonel

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The most wonderful and varied wingshooting in the world is in Southern Africa--not South America, and most shooters going to Suid Afrika never consider it all all. Wingshooting in the bosveld and highveld of South Africa is an adventure in of itself and it is inexpensive compared to dangerous game shooting there. As long as you live you will never forget the two-weeks or so of this that you were there.
I like the month of July shooting there best of all.

Transvaal...

You are absolutely spot on. We take clients to Gauteng Province, east of Pretoria, for wing shooting in the corn fields. The dove, of ocurse, fly...but the real thumpers (when they hit the ground) are the pigeons that come out from the cities to feed. The best shooting is when there is wind; it keeps the birds low...real low. Having hunted in the Cordoba canares and Suid Afrika, I confirm that Suid Afrika is the better value. Ammunition is less expensive than Argentina. If potential clients are considering wing shooting, Suid Afrika is a 12 gauge realm. Bring an O/U. Outfitters don't like the spectre of fully loaded semi-autos, and msot landowners wont allow them. I personally shoot a Browning Feather XS in 20 gauge; 30-in barrels, back bored, forcing cones lengthened, ported, and with assorted choke tubes. It has less recoil than my Benelli Montefeltros.

Groete ...

die Kolonel

One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
I have three doubles - 2 in the .500 and a Krighoff .500x .416

I would like to sell one of the .500 s , one is a Searcy which is left handed and has ejectors and the other is a .500 Blaser , right handed no ejectors.

Either can be bought if you can import them
the .500 Searcy left hander is triggered for the left . For a reference on the firearm local poster Brendan Coyler can comment , we hunted together for elephant so he saw the firearm in the field.
Offers around $8 500-00. would be considered.
This is a $18 000-00 value firearm I am told.

The Blaser .500 has had less than 20 rounds through it but is right handed.
I would accept $7500-00 for this one.

Import costs for the buyer.

Firearms are in Botswana.
graemepollocksafaris@outlook.com

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Someone mentioned parachutes, trust you all wear them when travelling to Africa or do you actually rely on the reliability of the modern aircraft to get you there safely dancing

Great analogy without even realizing what you said!

Traveling to Africa, or any flying on any airliner ... not a dangerous endeavor. No parachutes needed. Sort of like hunting quail.

Flying fighter aircraft, low/fast, on and off of ships, possible combat environment ... dangerous endeavor. Parachutes and ejection seats advisable. NOT like hunting quail!

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd Williams is in the building!!!!!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
lol Biebs!!! Yeah, I still dip a toe in the AR pool from time to time!

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Someone mentioned parachutes, trust you all wear them when travelling to Africa or do you actually rely on the reliability of the modern aircraft to get you there safely dancing

Great analogy without even realizing what you said!

Traveling to Africa, or any flying on any airliner ... not a dangerous endeavor. No parachutes needed. Sort of like hunting quail.

Flying fighter aircraft, low/fast, on and off of ships, possible combat environment ... dangerous endeavor. Parachutes and ejection seats advisable. NOT like hunting quail!

Cool

Tell that to all those commercial travelers killed last year and so far this year. How many military airman anywhere in the world were lost in fighter aircraft in the same period?

Risks have to be based on statistics not just mere fear or conjecture. Of all those killed or injured when hunting dangerous game what has been the root cause?

Failure of single triggers of any configuration.
Failure or mix up with double triggers
Failure to stop a charge after using up all available shots because of:
- Inability to recharge a bolt gun quick enough
- Inability to reload a double quick enough
Failure of ammunition
Failure of loading techniques
Failure of locks on any type of action
Failure to even get the firearm into use through fear or incompetence
Inability to bring the firearm to bear because of ambush or speed of charge
Carry sling hang ups - something promoted by some as dangerous

There are probably more root causes than I have listed but before the finger is pointed at any of these there has to be hard evidence to back it up, not just fear of it happening. My analogy holds, if we have a fear of being killed in a plane crash getting to Africa then we wouldn't fly. If we way up the odds most are happy enough to fly, without a parachute Smiler

We can weigh up the odds for all those root causes above too. For me, a single inertia trigger would be the least of my concerns so much so that given the choice between inertia over mechanical I would be making my choice on other more important features than concerning myself over trigger type. Either would be fine but not the deciding factor.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Todd Williams is in the building!!!!!

And so am *I*!!!! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jorge! What's next on your hunt list?