THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Reverse Engineering: Hornady .500 NE Load
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reverse Engineering: Hornady .500 NE Load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Maybe we can conspire to crack the code on the .500 NE load. I opened a DGS round up this evening:

- Powder charge weighs 98.8 grains
- Powder is an extruded powder with a greenish-brown color (clues on type?)
- In my 26" barrel Heym I am getting approximately 2025 fps

Does anyone have the latest edition of the Hornady manual to see what powders show a velocity of approximately 2025 fps with a load of approximately 99 grains?

Mike

Posts: 21200 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
mike,
call 1800 338 3220 and ask for their data .. they'll share

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Called Hornady. Not very helpful. The fellow on the phone searched around and said that his records showed that the DGS was loaded with 106 grains of H4350. That cannot possibly be right since I pulled a bullet last night and weighed the charge and the charge in my factory ammo from Hornady was 98.8 grains. I have no recollection of what H4350 looks like but will check this evening. I use a lot of RL15 and the powder out of the Hornady round looked very different -- extruded -- but the coloration was greenish-brown as opposed to grayish-black.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Your description actually does sound like H4350. I dont have a can in front of me but have used it recently. Having said that, you (or should I say "I") can not really tell what the powder might be simply by looking at it.

If it is H4350, 98.8grains woudl give you safe pressures and a velocity right around 2050fps with the Hornady 570 grain DGX bullet whereas 106 grains would have high pressures and around 2200fps.

Let's see if they will answer either of our emails.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Doc, do you have Hornady's 8th Edition Manual? I am curious what velocity it shows for a H4350 load of ~98.8 grains.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I'll send you a PM in a moment,

Paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike one way to narrow down powder is to compare the weight to the volume. You know the weight of your charge and about how fast a burn rate. Take the most likely and pour the same weight the check to see what matches up for appearence and volume. If you have more than one match start with the slowest one first and do not exceed recomended loads. Sometimes large companies will buy bulk stuff that is not avaible to the general public.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro