THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Remington spartan double rifle questions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington spartan double rifle questions.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
These are all newby questions, as far as double rifles go. Please bear with me.

I see remington has the spartan double rifle in 45-70. I know there are various loads for different types of 45-70. What could I expect to be the top end for a 300 gr bullet, and a 350 gr bullet.

Also would it be possible to bore it out to be a .450 marlin? How about a .458 win mag? I know, not likely.

My goal here is top velocity in this rifle.
I would like a 350 gr around 2200.
Thanks.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh oh. I've been doing some searching on this question. There seem to be an internet war over this. Lots of disagreement about how much pressure the frame is good for.
The manufacturer lists 28k psi as max.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's pretty easy.
No need to war or bicker about it.
The factory states the max pressure, and you have all the rights in the world to buy one and do whatever you want with it, including running super hot handloads or reboring/rechambering it for a different cartridge.

Your shoulder can be the test-bed for any direction you want to take it.

If you decide to buy one and hack it, start a thread here and post your experiences, include lots of photos, and try to have some fun with it along the way.

Cheers
Tinker

quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
Uh oh...
seem to be an internet war over this
...manufacturer lists 28k psi as max.

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it seems like the old discussion about boring out an early S & W K Frame Military and Police revolver from 1905 in 38 Special to 357 Magnum.

It can be done but is it advisable? There's never usually "something for nothing" with guns.

I suspect that if it had been safe to chamber it in 458 Winchester (or more like 470 NE) Remington would already have done it.

And that they haven't must surely tell you a lot...

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just do not understand why people just cannot buy one of these Remington 45/70's and use them with the proper ammo for what they were designed for.

A very affordable double for deer, pigs, black bear, even elk up close.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I just do not understand why people just cannot buy one of these Remington 45/70's and use them with the proper ammo for what they were designed for.

Agree.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Just consulted my Lyman manual. If these rifles are rated for 28k, that's plenty. None of the Marlin safe loads they listed went that high. The load I use in my Marlin is 50 grains of IMR 3031, not even the max. I got a hold of a Ruger No.3, a gun I always wanted, and one shot was enough for me. That crecent carbine but plate was definately not for me. I got rid of it.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What bullet are you using in your Marlin?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even more to add. It looks like Buffalo Bore in this rifle would do exactly what I want.

The owner of Buffalo bore says his ammo can be fired in this rife all day long with no problems, and that the 28,000 limit has to do with lawyers.

His ammo runs at 40,000psi.

He goes by Sundles.
http://www.kifaruforums.net/ar...ndex.php/t-6585.html

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have one - it shoots well .. triggers suck .. several of ya'll have seen it and played with it .. fun little 1K gun ..

it is TOO LIGHT to put in bigger power loads .. mine weighs barely 8# with scope and 2 rounds!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, I never thought of that. It never occurred to me that a double rifle would be light.

quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

I have one - it shoots well .. triggers suck .. several of ya'll have seen it and played with it .. fun little 1K gun ..

it is TOO LIGHT to put in bigger power loads .. mine weighs barely 8# with scope and 2 rounds!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So there you have it.

Now all you need to do is buy a rifle and a bunch of his ammunition and you're set.

Let us know how it works out...

quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
...Buffalo Bore in this rifle would do exactly what I want.

...28,000 limit has to do with lawyers.

His ammo runs at 40,000psi...

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The owner of Buffalo bore says his ammo can be fired in this rife all day long with no problems, and that the 28,000 limit has to do with lawyers.

His ammo runs at 40,000psi.

What an idiotic statement. He obviously doesn't understand the concept of proof.
--------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Frank, it's lighter than a marlin with the same length barrel .. its LIGHT.. i am a recoil sponge, and it kicks the snot out of me...

and 28K is "close enough" to be the same with PSI or CUP .. no 40K loads of either are going ANYWHERE near my rifle ..

It is SERIOUSLY tiny ... i mean THIN, light, and little.

if you ever hold one, you won't even think about a 40K load .. its a PAIR of bombs, up next to your face

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, being greatful that my glasses prevented my eyes from getting torn up as the rest of my face, is exactly the situation I am eager to avoid.

Thanks for the input.

I think I'll stick to my 458 win mag bolt and my 458socom for now.

One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Rem 405 grain soft nose.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote