Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long tang Krieghoffs
 Login/Join

posted
Did any of you guys see the long tang 500-416 that Hal Du Ponts crew had at the K.I. booth during SCI? I for one thought that it was very well done. what do you guys think.What do you guys think about the safety system? You read here that It is a bad idea. Why? It is surely faster than a bolt gun with the advantage of a second shot quickly. I believe that the second shot capability is the true virtue of the double, not the charge stopping that most posts seem to be concered with. I mean I will hunt with it more that I will have to stop charging beasts from behind every bush and tree. Maybe that is the difference, a hunting double rather than a purely close range stopping rifle.

JP

Posts: 55 | Location: California | Registered: 21 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One charge gone bad will ruin your WHOLE day, so I think its an important issue.

That said, I think its only a matter of what you become accustomed to. I hunt with alot of double shotguns so the std type safety is what I'm used to and I wouldn't want some other type in a tight situation. Your play how you practice, and will default to what you are accustomed to through use and traing.

The PH on my Oct trip used and loved a Kreighoff 470. This is what he has trained with and is accustomed to. I have no doubt that he was just as fast with the cocking mechanism as it is possible to be. I don't think he would be materially faster, if at all, with a std type tang safety.

If you like the rifle and practice with it to become accustomed to it I think it would be great.

I'm not a fan of the idea of the 500/416 but that is another issue.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
killpc

Those who have not used one in the field will tell you how slow and unsafe they are. Those of us who have used them is different situations will tell you how safe they are and know they are just as fast. Been there........

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote