THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Heym PH - Updated with range results
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym PH - Updated with range results
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally was able to pick the rifle up from my dealer today:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/2351020771

Rifle looks better in person although it will be awhile before the first range trip but very happy with the stock and how it fits. Chris suggested I visit SCI so he could fit me for the stock and the trip was certaintly work it. Close my eyes and shoulder the rifle and the sights are in perfect position as they should be for a rifle of this quality.

The fit and finish is fantastic. Quality of the wood exceeded my expectations as well. No gaps anywhere, no over runs. It is very apparent that Heym does a lot of hand fitting and takes their time doing it. Trigger pulls are right where they should be as far as weight and bascially zero creep. This is my 5th double (not counting the Baikals or Valmets) and the only one I've owned that has great triggers right out of the box. Heym even included the sling studs and detachable sling mounts. You can barely see the cut on the rib where you can mount a Docter Optic red dot sight if you prefer. This is my first Heym PH and all I can say is if you are on the fence trying to decide what brand to order consider a Heym PH. Took years of saving to be able to order this rifle and it is worth every penny. In addition, those cocking indicators are so cool!

Simply a classly rifle.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Very, very nice looking gun.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfy, what caliber did you get?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are nicely done,a understated elegance.ck yourpm for my phone # I be up there Saterday
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

450/400

JD, better hurry! Caught my six red salmon yesterday in under 2 hoursSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
450/400

Great all-around, very "shootable" caliber. Don't let Cal try it...he's so used to having to put a death grip on his 600s that he'd probably break something. Enjoy!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Randy, happy to see a happy camper. Very nice looking gun. I'm extremely envious regarding the fish! Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Going to use it this season?

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AK_Stick:
Very nice. Going to use it this season?

If we go moose hunting the Heym is going with me.

posted Hide Post
Looks great. I just got one exactly like yours except mine is right handed. Shoots as good as it looks.

John

Posts: 42 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Hi, John.

Keep me up-to-date on the load development for the North Forks.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,
With what ammo was it regulated?

I know you reload - what bullets do you plan to work up?

Looking forward to a great range report.

Stay well

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady DGX is the regulation load. I plan on using the same bullets as there is a huge supply in my reloading room from a previous project as well as DGS's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

The wood alone in worth the cost of the gun. Wow. I just hope it shoots as good. If not, who cares; just have JJ make sure it shoots good. With that wood, in all honesty, you're ahead of the game.

Just georgeaous.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raining today so we changed our plans and headed to the fishing grounds tomorrow.

RWS brass, Fed 215's, Hornady 400 DGX, and IMR 4831. Bullets were seated to the crimping groove but were not crimped. For each powder charge I loaded and shot 4 rounds, two from each barrel at 50 yards. Allowed the barrels to cool between each 2 shot string. Both elbows were rested on the padded bench.

Started with 73 grains - Loads were about 2.5 inches apart at 50 yards and maybe 2 inches high.

75 grains - Still apart but only by a small amount. Still about 2.5 inches high.

77 grains - All four shots went into a 1.5 inch circle dancing and they just barely crossed but jumped up to about 4 inches high. Am guessing if I drop it down to 76 grains it should be perfect.

Most likely will need a slightly higher front sight which is an easy fix. Think I will also give H4831 or possibly RL 22 a go as there is fair amount of space left inside the case. It is amazing what a well fitted stock will do. Previously I owned two different 450/400's and one was a Ruger #1. Both rifles beat the shit out of my shoulder and cheek. Even with the 77 grain load and shooting while sitting at the bench I thought what a pussy cat this rifle is.

Was planning on adding a Docter Optic sight on it but now second guessing that decision since she shoots so good with the factory irons. Trigger pulls (which are the best I felt on ANY double), fit and finish, stock fit, accuracy. If I ever buy another big double it will be another Heym PH.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Raining today so we changed our plans and headed to the fishing grounds tomorrow.

RWS brass, Fed 215's, Hornady 400 DGX, and IMR 4831. Bullets were seated to the crimping groove but were not crimped. For each powder charge I loaded and shot 4 rounds, two from each barrel at 50 yards.

Started with 73 grains - Loads were about 2.5 inches apart at 50 yards and maybe 2 inches high.

75 grains - Still apart but only by a small amount. Still about 2.5 inches high.

77 grains - All four shots went into a 1.5 inch circle dancing and they just barely crossed but jumped up to about 4 inches high. Am guessing if I drop it down to 76 grains it should be perfect.

Most likely will need a slightly higher front sight which is an easy fix. Think I will also give H4831 or possibly RL 22 a go as there is fair amount of space left inside the case. It is amazing what a well fitted stock will do. Previously I owned two different 450/400's and one was a Ruger #1. Both rifles beat the shit out of my shoulder and cheek. Even with the 77 grain load and shooting while sitting at the bench I thought what a pussy cat this rifle is.

Was planning on adding a Docter Optic sight on it but now second guessing that decision since she shoots so good with the factory irons. Trigger pull, fit and finish, stock fit, accuracy. If I ever buy another big double it will be another Heym PH.

Almost there!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I ever buy another big double it will be another Heym PH

You can't pay a better compliment to a brand than that! So I guess that means that Chris is not really a snake oil salesman after all? :-)

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
You can't pay a better compliment to a brand than that! So I guess that means that Chris is not really a snake oil salesman after all? :-)

You want me to post that picture of you and your brother again?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! There ya go! Guess I'm guilty as charged! BTW, how are you doing on my 577 Jumbo? Oh, that's right....I forgot to order it. :-)