New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti Stock Modification
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Last year someone with a Sabatti spoke of reshaping the butt stock by lowering the comb a bit. I haven't been able to find that thread or message, but I would like to know what was done to the stock.

Anyone remember who posted about the Sabatti reshaping?

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by afp:
Last year someone with a Sabatti spoke of reshaping the butt stock by lowering the comb a bit. I haven't been able to find that thread or message, but I would like to know what was done to the stock.

Anyone remember who posted about the Sabatti reshaping?

Afp, the only thing I have seen is a full re-stocking on the Sabatti double rifles. The grain you see on a Sabatti is not the grain in the wood, but a picture of grain that is a plastic film applied to the plain wood much the same way the camouflage is applied to shotguns and synthetic stocks on rifles. If the stock is modified, it will destroy the film in the area that is modified. Then the whole stock will have to be sanded bare, and refinished, and there will be no grain in the wood at all. Just something to think about before taking a wood rasp to the stock on a Sabatti! That is on the Upscale Sabattis, the field grade may be different!

................... Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eventually I will restock it with nice wood. What I want to do now is slightly lower the comb until the stock fits like I want. I will eventually use that as a pattern for my upgraded stock.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Plane or rasp away everything that doesn't fit you. If you are using it as a pattern, it doesn't matter what it looks like. Seal it with some finish of some sort.
Only the small frames used the "optowood"; the big bores did not use that.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Plane or rasp away everything that doesn't fit you. If you are using it as a pattern, it doesn't matter what it looks like. Seal it with some finish of some sort.

Yea, that was my impression as well. The large frame Sabattis I've held were actual wood grain, not "opti-wood". That's only on the 9.3 and 45-70s Mac.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Yea, that was my impression as well. The large frame Sabattis I've held were actual wood grain, not "opti-wood". That's only on the 9.3 and 45-70s Mac.

I had heard about the opti-wood as well so I was surprised to find full grain on my 450. Regardless, it's not high end wood by any stretch so I am not so bothered about rasping it down to fit. I assume I should taper from the front of the comb down to the back? I need to get face lower on the stock for better sight alignment.