Find
Notify
Tools

It happened....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
After over one and half years of hand wringing, several trips "outside" including east and west coasts, countless hours of research and consultations, and handling many DRs (thanks to all here who so generously allowed me to shoot theirs), I finally made the decision and ordered a Heym PH in 450/400 from Chris a week or so ago. Big Grin My first double rifle.

banana banana jumping banana banana

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
congrats, i'm sure that you'll like it.... beer

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
awesome!!! congrats! thumb

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ant, you did good. Heym is a great rifle and Chris is a good guy and excellent to deal with.
Best of luck with your new "honey".

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
After over one and half years of hand wringing, several trips "outside" including east and west coasts, countless hours of research and consultations, and handling many DRs (thanks to all here who so generously allowed me to shoot theirs), I finally made the decision and ordered a Heym PH in 450/400 from Chris a week or so ago. Big Grin My first double rifle.

banana banana jumping banana banana

Congratulations Antlers, you couldn't have made a better choice of rifle type, the Heym rifle, the 450/400NE 3" chambering, or the dealer you did business with! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW ... you did GOOOOD!!!! (Would have been difficult to do better.)

Congratulations Wink

Now you have to start planning the trip to find appropriate target species.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Yeah Mac, I have to give Chris alot of credit for being extremely patient with me. As my wife loves to say, "He's a very careful shopper". Wink

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. We look forward to the field reports.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Tim, old man, that is outstanding!

Did Chris give you an idea of when it will be finished?

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the ranks of the great unwashed. Excellent rifle and caliber choice. thumb

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it turns out any thing like GI's
you will be a very happy man. I hope you ordered the 26" barrels, the balance is super.

Good luck.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:

Paul,

Somewhere in the December/January timeframe. Wink

MStarling, the biggest difficulty in making the decision was knowing that the purchase would delay Africa by probably two years. However, I hope to use it on Brown Bear next Spring. 2020

JD, yes, I had to have the 26" barrels - I agree, the balance seems perfect.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Congratulations Antlers, you couldn't have made a better choice of rifle type, the Heym rifle, the 450/400NE 3" chambering, or the dealer you did business with! beer

Ditto's Mac, congratulations Antler's I ordered another Heym in 7x65R for all critters that the 500 might not be the best choice.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congratulations Antler's I think that is a great combo of caliber and rifle. We need picturs when you get it.

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Expect wonderful times with it!

And expect to want to have this
"family" grow! dancing

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS AND GOOD HUNTING

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:

Paul,

Somewhere in the December/January timeframe. Wink

MStarling, the biggest difficulty in making the decision was knowing that the purchase would delay Africa by probably two years. However, I hope to use it on Brown Bear next Spring. 2020

JD, yes, I had to have the 26" barrels - I agree, the balance seems perfect.

clap

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antlers, I ordered my Heym 88B Safari in 470 NE early last month. I'm just beside myself with obtaining this childhood dream.

Chris took my measurments at his storefront in Snyder Plaza by the SMU campus in Dallas. Chris is a super guy, way helpful, and dang knowlegable. No flys are on Chris.

Was told Heym produces about three of these a month; mine is likely to be made in Dec 2008.

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 415sbaird:

Chris took my measurments at his storefront in Snyder Plaza by the SMU campus in Dallas. Chris is a super guy, way helpful, and dang knowlegable. No flys are on Chris.

Was told Heym produces about three of these a month; mine is likely to be made in Dec 2008.

Agreed; Chris has been a pleasure to work with and has been extremely willing to provide DR info to a newbie.

Congrats on your Heym Safari!

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

posted Hide Post
Tim
Well done! Now for the great test...............
Katte

Posts: 19 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Antlers! Welcome, to the DRSS!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antlers
I have shot the 450/400 Heym. Great choice.

I highly recommend you have a 1-4 S&B scope with flash dot reticle fitted in claw mounts from the factory.

Worth every penny.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Tim,
Congratulations, you made a great choice! clap That was the easy part! The hardest part now is the WAIT! nilly

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc52:
Tim,
Congratulations, you made a great choice! clap That was the easy part! The hardest part now is the WAIT! nilly

Thanks Doc, thankfully I have plenty of plans to keep my mind off of it - like moose in September, pronghorn in October, and whitetail in December. Big Grin And comparing the waiting period to the wait for taxidermy makes it seem pretty quick.

NE 450 No2 - I have not handled that model of S&B; I am considering the claw mounts, but that may have to wait till later.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
antlers-

is chris the guy at doublegunimports, the heymusa dealer?

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by byf42:
antlers-

is chris the guy at doublegunimports, the heymusa dealer?

Yes, same Chris. He posts as new_guy on these forums.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
cool... i'll keep my eyes posted for him. congrats on the rifle too!!!! hopefully soon, i'll be joining you in the ranks of double rifle owners.

*We Band of 45-70er's*