Find
Notify
Tools

What a man needs...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted
A double rifle, proper hat, good books, fine rugs, cricket bat, camel saddle and a stuffed tiger!

It's my new-to-me Baikal 30-06. Tiger is a desert racing veteran!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the rifle! RCR would be proud of your hat!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cricket bat???? You must be a "Shawn of the Dead" fan Smiler

"Fear of the Lord is wisdom" Job 28:28

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mssgn:
Cricket bat???? You must be a "Shawn of the Dead" fan Smiler

He is in the UK !!! LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny, men love the things you mention (though the double rifle pictured is an insult to your British relatives), and women hate them! WHY--lol?

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The cricket bat is the crowning touch. Try as I might, I can't figure out that game but it looks like good fun.
By the way, my favorite, er, favourite movie cricket reference is in the early Hitchcock classic "The Lady Vanishes."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16404 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doubleriflejack:
Funny, men love the things you mention (though the double rifle pictured is an insult to your British relatives), and women hate them! WHY--lol?

Ha! Too true! It is a funny thing about the rifle though, there are snobs here who will sneer at it because its not a Purdey or H&H but the difference between me and them is I have a DR and they don't! I guess its a matter of one in the hand being worth two in the H&H gunroom Big Grin

Cricket...where do you start? It kinda like watching paint dry in person. On the telly though, it is a lot more interesting. I find the same true about golf and baseball as well. There is a new kind of cricket called 20/20 which is much faster and more athletic. Imagine a baseball game with only 4 innings and finite time limit. It puts much more pressure on the batting side to get it all in.

Personally, I play ice hockey. Even at my advanced age of 48 I can still school the youngsters on how the game is played. Just harder to recover these days old

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

one of us
posted Hide Post
<big grin!>

Nicely done!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your membership in the DRSS.
As you say, "my having this one is better by half than the fancy one you do NOT have!"

Don't suppose you play Rugby in the off season to stay in shape...?

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush ......

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
Here is my first shoot with the .30-06!

This was shooting from a seated position, left elbow on the table, stock open sights, 100 meters, cheapest 150gr FMJ rounds I could find (just looking to see if I could get it on paper today!). All in all, very happy with the results. I wanted to shoot at 50m but my local range can't shoot full caliber at the short range. I had a good spotter that helped to read it out as we were shooting almost directly into the sun.

You can see that the regulation is spot on. Now I just have to get the left barrel up to match the right. I remember reading somewhere here that you can use automotive feeler gauges to adjust the elevation but can't seem to find it. Anybody know the trick for Baikal's??

Have to admit, the guys at the range LOVED it! Kept asking me about shooting elephants and lions. No snobs when they get to see one shooting live and in colour!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

one of us
posted Hide Post
sfhr

Before you do anything to the rifle, try some 180gr loads.

That may make the left barrel hit closer to the right, baised on where the left barrel hits with the 150gr loads...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
sfhr

That may make the left barrel hit closer to the right, baised on where the left barrel hits with the 150gr loads...

Thanks, will do. I'm fairly new to the ballistics game, please tell me the science behind why the 30g extra would bring them close together. Always trying to learn something new everyday Big Grin

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sfhr:
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
sfhr

Thanks, will do. I'm fairly new to the ballistics game, please tell me the science behind why the 30g extra would bring them close together. Always trying to learn something new everyday Big Grin

Btt. Really hoping to get some insight as to the physics of why the extra 30g makes a difference.

TIA!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

Harlan Ellison

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullet barrel time and recoil of the rifle.

My brain is a bit dead tonight and can't seem to put it into the correct words but along the lines of different bullet weights spend more / less time in the barrel and therefore leave the muzzle at a different point in the recoil cycle of the barrels, therefore they will land at a diff point on the target - supposedly - remember, DR's are an entity unto themsleves !!!

Hopefully someone else can expand on this.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
The physics have to do with bullet length ( Bearing surface) remember bullets of the same caliber get longer as mass goes up.
Mass affects velocity which is related to barrel time.
As stated above the slower longer 180 grain will spend more time in the barrel and exit at a different point in the recoil cycle and harmonics of the barrel.

Just my 0.2c.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote