Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy Double Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Gentlemen and Ladies on the forum, I would appreciate your attention for a few moments...

I am a customer of Butch Searcy. I met him once, but he built me a BEAUTIFUL .577 NE Double Rifle.

My wife died last year. My rifle was built five years ago. Butch sent flowers to my wife's memorial gathering FIVE YEARS AFTER I WAS HIS CUSTOMER!!!!!

The rifle is beautiful beyond words. It is elegant and clean and basically GORGEOUS. If anyone is in the great Philadelphia area and wants to see her, just let me know; I am proud to show her off.

I just want everyone to know that Butch Searcy is a great and honorable man. Without question or concern, he has all ways been there for me if I had a question or concern about my gun. I would march into HELL with that gun to save my loved ones, that's how safe I feel with his guns. If anyone is considering a DR for themselves, Searcy Rifles are the way to go.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577, nice gesture and sentiment

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul. Very nice sentiment and congrats on finding a new life partner so quickly. Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
These stories abound - I once had a double that he built on a browning action - Called him with a few questions on it - He spent a half hour on the phone with me.

Man of honor...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the oldies in .470 NE, one he built for the SCI gathering.

He is a craftsman, and builds quality DR's for a reasonable budget.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Paul is not kidding when he says his 577 Searcy is gorgeous! However it isn't just a pretty face, that rifle shoots very well, and is as accurate as anyone could ask of a 577NE double rifle! I have personally handled, and shot that rifle and I can tell you just like Paul said, I'd go into the weeds with anything that walks this earth with that rifle, and if I did my part the animal would be in dire straights! If he wasn't in trouble it would be my fault, not the rifle's!

.......................... BOOM................ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With some luck from the moose god's next month my Searcy 450 NE will be giving lead poisoning to a bull moose.
Mine is a PH model, nothing fancy, but she will shoot 500 grain Hornadys at 2,100 fps more accurately that I can shoot her.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CLASS is something that few people have, but everyone can recognize. I have never met Butch but would like to.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have a custom 450/400 3" Searcy that is more accurate than I could ever have wished for.

This is the second Searcy I have purchased - the first being a 470 PH model.

His guarantee is second to none.

Also his support of young persons ball teams is just one more indication of his character.

Paul, I was not aware of your wife's death. Please accept my condolences.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had two Searcy rifles. One a field grade in .470 the other a PH model. Both are exquisitely accurate.

My old Field grade was a testimony to tough and durable and dependable. It was my first double rifle and I was out to prove a few things with it. I shot thousands of rounds through it and carried it everywhere and hunted everything with that rifle. It was my "truck" gun.

I've killed several hundred feral hogs with that rifle, jack rabbits galore, a whitetail or two, several coyotes, wildebeest, impala, elephant, buffalo, a few other species that I can't recall I'm sure and a whole huge pile of trophy North American target rocks.

I made my longest ever game shot with a double on a black wildebeest at 218 yards lazed and regularly killed hogs with it past 100 yards.

Butches rifles do much to dispel much of the BS you hear about the accuracy limitations of a double rifle.

I haven't had the opportunity to wring out my new PH model quite to the same degree. And have had several issues with it. Nothing that butch did wrong however. I had a broken action spring and a cracked stock which both fall under the shiite happens category.

Off of a sandbag rest I can cut a huge ragged 4 shot hole with this rifle and at 100 yards I can put them all into a nice fist sized group. My eyes simply can't do any better than that at 100 yards, the rifle however can.

One of my favorite things to do at the range is bait some guy into lecturing me on how inaccurate a double rifle is. At my range there is a row of steel at 500 yards. I have played with my double at that stack for many rounds. I've got the hold over and the left to right cross perfectly figured at that range. I am about 50% on a first shot dinger with the old double rifle on the 500 steel. In any case even If I miss it's always close enough to get a "holy CRAP" out of the unwary observer.

Obviously this is nothing more than a stupid human trick but it sure is fun to pull on the uninitiated!

Butch might have a thing or two to learn from the traditional gun makers on styling but they could all sit down and take some lessons on accuracy and regulation from Butch. Mr. Searcy has got that portion of the equation totally figured out! There are also very few members of the gun making guild who couldn't use some lessons on customer service from Mr. Searcy.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
577: I remember your loss; it was heartbreaking.
So glad to hear that Butch thought of you. I can only hope that some day I am in a position to call him up and place an order.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
All that has been said here about Butch is absolutely true. Butch is not only a friend and one of my gun builders, but is also a client of mine. He is the epitome of both a true gentleman and craftsman. He stands behind his rifles, believe me, I know. I also believe that there is not a more accurate double rifle in the world than a Searcy double rifle. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch made me a field grade 500 nitro express double 7 years ago and its a piece of art,great quality and reliable rifle.Butch is a five star guy,all the best to you Butch.......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be an upgrade to your neighborhood quality and property values if Butch bought a house there...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is great to read about Butch and his rifles. l am currently looking at one of his left hand rifles in 470.

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR, Jack!

My field grade Searcy 577 DR is truly a work of art. Butch knows his craft. I'm really not sure who else in the US I would even consider to get to build me a DR.

I had need of some repair work to my 577 this summer. Broken forestock lever. Butch took care of it on short order, about a week. The pigs on my ranch barely got a rest!

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack H:
This is great to read about Butch and his rifles. l am currently looking at one of his left hand rifles in 470.

Welcom to the forum Jack,
I would email Butch and ask him if he knowes of any that are on the market.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I bought my first Searcy double, a deluxe boxlock .470NE back in 2007, and Butch and I have been friends ever since. When you call him for advice or with questions, he makes you feel like you are the only customer he has. If any of you get a chance, I would highly recommend stopping by Butch's shop in Boron, Ca. (which is literally in the middle of nowhere). Butch will not only show you how he builds his rifles, he will also take the time to have a great Mexican food lunch and a few margaritas with you. (Butch LOVES margaritas!)
Since purchasing my first double from Butch in 2007, I have also had him build me a Classic double in 450/400 3", a stalking rifle in 9.3x74R, a Field double in .500NE (mine is the one with the case colored action on his website), and I have a Field grade 30/06 double on order. His rifles shoot better than I ever will, and his friendship and service are second to none.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you call him for advice or with questions, he makes you feel like you are the only customer he has.

Absolutely!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
This is normal for Butch. He always treats one with the utmost respect. Makes you feel like one of the guys. Never a stupid question asked according to him. Too bad more people did not do business and treat customers like him. I am proud to own one of his rifles.

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Here is Paul's Searcy 577NE: (577NitroExpress)
Butch is not only a good guy but a craftsman as well!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

What's his address??? I've got my car started....I NEEEEEEEED that rifle! Wow, what a piece!!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Mac,

What's his address??? I've got my car started....I NEEEEEEEED that rifle! Wow, what a piece!!!

That rifle shoots just as good as it looks! However if you get it you'll bring a lot of money,and/or a very large pistol and a ski mask!
................................ jumping

!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen and shouldered.Pauls rifle. Fit and finish is perfect. The engraving.is world.class. Any gentelman would consider him.self.truely.luckly to be able to own such a fine.piece .

JD

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have had the dubious honor of doubling that beast,a fine gun for sure and the tree is now a stump lol Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I too have had the pleasure of shooting Paul's Searcy and can attest to its accuracy. Butch builds a fine rifle!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Heck I have owned one for 48hrs and already love it.

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Oh? Do tell....

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the good fortune to meet Mr. Searcy at the SCI in Reno Last year. Very pleasant gentleman. I have long lusted after one of his doubles in .470 but every time I get enough money to start thinking about one, I spend it on a hunt. One of these days, hopefully, I will be able to afford one. From what I've seen, they are absolutely beautiful.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a Searcy Classic in 450NE from Judge G. here is the target from the first time i shot it.

I believe this gun is a shooter!!!

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
That is a shooter for sure tu2 Congrats on your new DR.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Chris; I shot that rifle and it's a real shooter and looks magnificent! Enjoy!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with Searcys and that 450 is a great round! Good Choice!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I am kind of sad, though? CRYBABY

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
I am kind of sad, though? CRYBABY

You did order a fresh one though ... didn't you?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
http://i1185.photobucket.com/a...wana/Searcy470NE.jpg
http://i1185.photobucket.com/a...SearcyFloorplate.jpg

Here are 2 photos of my first Searcy double - a .470NE Deluxe. It is one of two rifles ever personally signed by Butch.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Magnificent!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Very nice wood and case! tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
sub: that is one beautiful case, did it come with the rifle or did/can you order it here in the states?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member