New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well it looks like I may have made a deal on an elephant hunt this June. My Searcy 375 flanged, 450-400 is back at Searcy's having a light trigger and ejector problem resolved. If it does not show up back here in the next week or so I am going to be in trouble.

So, I am thinking about buying another double to shoot and be ready for the June hunt. Any suggestions? There is a 470 Heym in the classifieds. 470 is close to my limit for recoil.

So buy another double or wait and hope for the Searcy even though the 450-400 is a bit light for elephant?

Suggestions appreciated.

j

Posts: 304 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 01 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can afford a new double and an elephant hunt, why not!?! If your .450/400 does make it back and you feel more comfortable with it, take it! If you like the .470 and buy it, take it! If you buy the .470, don't feel comfortable and the .450/400 doesn't make it back in time, take the .375! I wish I had your problems! haha... killpc

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh

I do not consider a 450/400 light for elephant.

If you are on a time constraint, the 470 Heym is a good choice.

Heym doubles are great rifles.

However I would call Butch and advise him of your situation.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might better make my above statement more clear.

A Heym Double is a great choice, no matter how much time you have.

The reason why I say it is a good choice if you are on a time constraint, is it will most likely work great the day you recieve it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think anything short of a 450NE is light for elephant hunting. But the 450/400 will certainly do the job.

Call Butch and tell him, I'd bet he'll expidite.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I have called Searcy and talked to the lady who answered the phone. I told her about the situation (Butch was on a machine) and begged her to ask Butch to hurry. If I don't have something in hand next week, I am in big trouble.

I need to be shooting everyday right now to prepare for an elephant hunt. As it is I am shooting a single shot rifle plinking at rocks. Not much practice for the real deal.

The 470 in the classifieds is about 160 miles from me. I'll bet if I made a deal with the owner, we could meet halfway.

I am going to call Searcy's tomorrow and check on delivery. If it doesn't look like it will be back in days, I am going to buy a back-up plan double rifle.

Time is too short.

I guess I could make a day trip to Champlins next week.

j

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin, the Searcy is a two barrel set one in 450-400 and the other in 375 flanged. It is just one rifle.

j

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess the real issue for me would be even if your 450/400 would get back in time is trusting the rifle without putting 30-50 rounds through the tubes and re-establishing confidence in the weapon, especially hunting elephant.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
The advantage of buying the 470 that is 160 miles away would be that you could talk to the owner about loading data for it.

If you refering to Jim Manions rifle in the classifieds, another advantage would be the resale value of it. In the end it would not likely cost anything if you sell it after the hunt.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dirk, I was thinking 300 to 500 before I would trust one. I can only stand maybe 15 to 30 a day. So you see my problem.

Frankly, the entire hunt is hanging in the balance. The PH knows the situation and understands that I may have to back down to a full bag plains game hunt.

Something has to happen early next week.

j

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen, yes I was talking about Jim Manion's in the classifieds. It may not be available anymore. There are several for sale around for $13k-$18k depending on the exact rifle.

Champlins is not far away either.

j

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josh A.:

Frankly, the entire hunt is hanging in the balance. The PH knows the situation and understands that I may have to back down to a full bag plains game hunt.

j

Do you not have a spare big bolt rifle ?
I would even use a Weatherby Magnum before I passed on a booked Ele hunt.

Well, maybe not a Weatherby....

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Buying a "new" rifle right before an elephant hunt with little time to sort out any difficulties that may arise is much worse than sorting out your own rifle with the same "little time". Frankly, in either case, you will not have "utmost" confidence in the weapon. Like others have said, I would call Butch and very politely explain why the rush is necessary. I would also pay him for this rushed work or, if he insists its under warranty, send him a nice piece of hunting gear as a "thank you".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Josh A.:

j

Do you not have a spare big bolt rifle ?
I would even use a Weatherby Magnum before I passed on a booked Ele hunt.

Me too! Even a 375H&H bolt rifle will do in a pinch for an elephant hunt.

Maybe the PH has a decent loaner?

If you're a lefty, maybe we could work out a loaner proven 375H&H.

BTW, not to say "I told you so," but this is one reason I believe in two rifles and not a different cartridge two barrel set. Either the 450/400 or the 375FL would do for an elephant if required.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would stay on hold until Butch was off the machine. I cannot beleive that he would screw you by not getting back to you in time. Schedules and deliveries on new guns are one thing, but repairing a lemon that went out the door is a whole other matter. We all have had bad ones get by us, but it is the part of the Gunmaker GAP that eveeyrhting gets dropped in order to repair something that was our fault.

I think if you talk to Butch in person he will help you. I do not know the man but cannot imagine him not doing so.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Josh, check your email.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I got your message and appreciate the offer very much. I do have several bolt rifles that will work. The upshot is that I wanted to hunt elephant with a double rifle. It just wouldn't be the same without one.

Hopefully Butch will get mine back to me soon. I let them know the situation last Monday and I was hoping he would fix it that same day and send it on Tuesday. I will call him again today. Who knows, it may show up today.

If the Searcy is not back very soon, I am going to see about another double.

Champlins is just up the road.

Josh

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
My bet is that Butch will not leave you hanging! But I think you need to get another double anyway....cant have too many! Jim's Heym is a nice rifle.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Josh:

I don't know how significant the problem is but another option that you have if Mr. Searcy can't get to it is to simply have him send it back to you and use it as is and address the issues on your return. I don't know if that would be an alternative but it would be a lot less expensive than buying a whole new double.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Buy the .470, start practicing, you can always sell a Heym (actually probably easier than the Searcy) if your set does manage to show up.

I like Butch and his guns, but don't wait on him in this case.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Buy my .500 and start practicing.....

If it's a hunt buster, we have a safe queen/loaner .458 Browning around here somewhere...

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Elephant + Double = .500 Nitro Express

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to be shooting everyday right now to prepare for an elephant hunt.

More important than shooting every day is knowing where to shoot. And you sure don't need a double to kill an elephant. A handy 458 WM bolt will do.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
quote:
I need to be shooting everyday right now to prepare for an elephant hunt.

More important than shooting every day is knowing where to shoot.

Well, if you want to hunt elephant, Africa is probably where you need to go to shoot. Geez, Will!!!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Well, if you want to hunt elephant, Africa is probably where you need to go to shoot. Geez, Will!!!

animal

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't you just shoot them anywhere in the eye......in Africa?

I talked to someone at Butch's a little while ago and apparently my rifle is going to be shipped Monday. I was sure hoping for it to get back sooner, but at least it will be here mid-week.

Even if I drive over and get a double in hand on Saturday that only gets me a few extra days of practice.

So I guess I will wait on the Searcy and hope that no more problems develop before the hunt.

Josh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh,
Are you left-handed?

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dirk, I am right handed.

j

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have just had too many stories about certain rifles on this site.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.450/.400 is a bit light for elephant. Buy another double in double quick time chambered in .500 Nitro Express or .500/.416 Nitro Express. Don't wait!!!!!!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I went ahead and bought Jim Manion's Heym 470. I have shot it some and I am going to have to work on my ability to handle recoil.

My Searcy is going to be back here tomorrow. Now it just comes down to which rifle I can shoot the most accurately. Obviously the 450-400 will offer less recoil, but you never know. I am also going to sight in the 375 flanged set of Searcy barrels with a low power scope so that I can back up my wife on plains game.

It should be an interesting few weeks getting ready for Africa and it should be a great hunt. Karl Stumpfe, Ndumo Safaris is aware of the situation and is ready to accomodate us.

Any interesting 470 Nitro loads you guys want to pass on?

Should be cool.

josh

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh,

For becoming as recoil tollerant as possible in the short time you have, I would recommend shooting only a handful or so of the 470's at a time, but do it as frquently as possible. Several times a day if you can, adding a couple each trip to shoot.

Remind yourself that the rifle will not hurt you, and concentrate hard on the target.

I'd bring both rifles, btw.

Good luck,

JPK

Free 500grains

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh,

Here's the drill: first fire four with your .375 flanged, offhand at 100. Then fire four with the 450/400 or the .470 at 50, also offhand. Continue to mix them up but do not fire more than 16 rounds of 40 caliber at any one sitting and be sure to end with the .375 so the body remembers the lighter recoil.

You are shooting offhand for obvious reasons and do not be dismayed at your initial poor shooting. You are shooting four so that you learn to reload IMMEDIATELY.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the assistance guys. The good news is that we have tons of pear out here to shoot. Some of it is even getting flowers on it. By far my favorite target. Immediate feedback on exact bullet placement.

I will take both rifles to Namibia regardless of which I hunt elephant with.

I do need a load with 500gr bullets and 4831 if someone has one. Can I go down from 100grs or so safely?

Karl, shoots a 450 Rigby bolt and is very good with it. I am betting that he keeps me and my wife from getting stomped into butter. If worse comes to worse, my wife, Goldielocks, can put the elephant down with her .243. She'll be our safety net.

thanks,
josh

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
what a great set of doubles you have. Keep shooting like you are doing and you will be ready for jumbo. I look forward to hearing about your successful hunt.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh,

You will want all of the velocity you can get from either rifle while maintaining the rifle's shooting to regulation.

You will hardly notice the recoil of the 470 when you shoot an elephant or buff. Your focus on the game will be intent enough that the rifle's recoil will be just sufficient to let you know it fired. Also, the noise from your rifle will be diminished so that it is audible and registers, but not much more.

This is why it is important to not shoot too much at one time here that you develop a flinch. Most practice shooting can be done with lesser cartridges, so long as the sights are the same or very similar. But you'll still need to shoot enough to become accustomed to either of the doubles, especially rapid reloading, as pointed out by Tim Carney.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advise coming in to JOSH here from EXPERIENCED elephant hunters!

Soak it all up JOSH and have a super trip. I and many others are rooting
for you from the "cheap seats". popcorn Smiler dancing wave popcorn

Below is what MY elephant will see some day:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...60101804/m/856108469

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well guys I have a preliminary report on the tale of three (really 2 1/2)double rifles.

I have been shooting the Heym carefully with a good PAST pad and factory ammunition. At 30 yeards I am getting some group scatter that is more than is acceptable. Strung down and left. The Searcy 450-400 is strung a bit horizontally. Not bad but worse than I want. The Searcy with the 375 flanged barrels are stacking bullets on top of each other at 50 yards. The others I have shot at 30 yards.

Now obviously I am having better results from the lowest recoiling rifle I own. The 375 flanged is loaded with 300gr bullets and 80grs. of H4831.

The 450-400 is being fired with factory Hornady soft points. The 470 Nitro is being fired with factory Federal soft points. With a little luck I should be reloading the 450-400 and the 470 nitro this weekend

Any input is appreciated. We leave to hunt on June 12.

Thanks so much for the help,
josh

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Josh - you'll have to be more specific. I don't know that I know what you mean by "group scatter."

I think I understand "stringing." That's something typically seen with bolt guns, but not with doubles.

You shooting from a bench, sticks, or standing?

A loose rib will cause barrels and groups to move around, but I don't think that's a problem with these rifles.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh,

This may be preaching to the choir, but:

To shoot to see how the rifle is shooting, you really need a standing (prefered because it does not exacerbate felt recoil) or a sitting bench (shoot as erect as possible to keep felt recoil to a minimum.)

You cannot rest the rifle on bags, but you can use bags under the forearm on which to rest your left hand. But you must be holding the barrels, similar to how you would shoot standing without any rest.

You can use bags under the butt, but well forward of the toe so that they do not become a hinge point or folcrum of recoil motion.

Shoot a round target with a 6:00 hold. Trying to shoot to center of target is difficult because it is hard to center the bead in a round or oval target. With a six oclock hold, it is easy to "stack" the target on top of the bead and ensure a repeatable hold.

With a rounded bead, you will have trouble maintaining a consistant sight picture, because sunlight will highlight one side of the bead or another. And believe it or not, it is not easy to tell you aren't seeing the whole bead. The best bead you can have is one filed flat with a fine file at about a 30* angle, with the low point of the bead the bottom of the point of the 30* (the filed off portion) and 60* angle (the remaining portion) and nearest the breech, the filed bead's new flat facet pointing up and towards the muzzles, 30* of perpendicular to the bores. Once filed, buff to a sheen with a polishing cloth.

A filed bead will not be highlighted by sunlight on one side or another, and will "glow", even in shade and dappled sunlight when the sun is overhead or anywhere behind or to the side. When the sun is in front, you won't have any improvement over a rounded bead, but no disadvantage over the rounded bead either. BTW, I have sworn off frontal brain shots on backlit elephants (or in the very poor light of dawn and dusk or the rare very dark, heavily overcast days.) Just too hard to see the detail required for a successful frontal brain shot.

Recall that the optimal two shot group from a double rifle will look like a figure eight laying on its side, with right barrel printing on the right, the left on the left and the width between the bullet holes' centers equal to the distance between the bores' centers at the muzzle.

Hope this helps,

JPK

Free 500grains