THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Grand rapids & vicinity,DR shooters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand rapids & vicinity,DR shooters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
Just wondering if there are any other members,around my area that shoot DR's,would be great to get together once in a while!

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Bill73:

This fellow:

nitro450exp

Is a new guy on the forum and is from Michigan. He wants to attend a DRSS event in Texas. I think you should try to hook up with him and do some range time with him.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
It'll be my pleasure.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Bill73

When?, Where?, How Much? Let me know I am very interested, especially to test my 400 Grain Speer Gold Dot loads. I will be working on soon. Midway package should arrive soon.
Nitro450exp

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
nitro450exp,
whenever you are ready with your ammunition just let me know & we will set up a shoot.

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
keep me posted guys, heck, I'll make the drive from the "thumb" just to see a double rifle first hand!!!

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Al,
you will be more than welcome,how far are you from Lansing or Grand Rapids?

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
best part of 3hr from Grand Rapids, I'm up by Bad Axe.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill 73

My home is near Twin Lake, NW of you, what do you have in mind?

Bob (RL1936)

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Bob,
well it would be nice to have a bunch of guys that enjoy the same passion get together once in a while,enjoy each other's company and shoot some double rifles Big Grin
maybe we can start our own chapter of the DRSS and give those Texans some competition Wink,looks like there are four of us in the area,we should organise a shoot and get to know each other.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 4 hours east of Detroit and would gladly do the drive any time, being a retiree, to shoot my doubles with like-minded folks!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Ron,
that makes at least two of us,it would be fun to say the least,lets see who else chimes in and we can get something going Smiler

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Guy's

I am still around, never got those reduced loads quite finished moved onto another DR project. But am still very interested in getting together.
I am currently working on my interpretation of a modern Paradox, shooting 1 3/8 oz slugs or Round ball.
This would be great for shooting if we get together.
I am near Lansing, MI.

Keep me posted.
Nitro450exp

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ron vella:
I'm 4 hours east of Detroit and would gladly do the drive any time, being a retiree, to shoot my doubles with like-minded folks!

I'm 3 hours east of Detroit, and though I don't have any double rifles (yet), I'd love to join y'all some time. (Ron, we've chatted at the Woodstock gun show.)

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys-

While I don't yet own a double (yeah, I know, lowly bolt trash), I only live about 45 minutes from Grand Rapids and would be interested in any get together where I could check out some double rifles. Please keep me posted if a shoot is organized.

Thanks,
Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
well this is getting better and better,lets give this thread a couple more days,then we can just set up a date to get together and shoot some DR's,if you don't have one it does'nt matter you are welcome to come and check out what we got.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Bill, if you guys have half as much fun doing your shoot as we did it'll be a blast. It'll grow too. Folks will dig out the old hardware and show up.

BTW, My family is from that area. Mostly down by Coldwater to Sturgis. I've got an Aunt up at Charlotte.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
So right you are Mike,I have always enjoyed the shoots in Texas,made some good friends along the way Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Bill, if you guys have half as much fun doing your shoot as we did it'll be a blast. It'll grow too. Folks will dig out the old hardware and show up.

BTW, My family is from that area. Mostly down by Coldwater to Sturgis. I've got an Aunt up at Charlotte.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Are you looking at having this event at Kent? I Am a member at Caledonia & Fennville, i am sure both would welcome a event like this.

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Chris,
we can have it anywhere,it does'nt matter to me which range we are at,just maybe pick the club that best serves our modest needs.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
I will make my 470 available, also hope to have the paradox up and shooting by then, if the paradox isn't up to it.
I can just put the 45-70 tubes back in it and voila ! 45-70 DR.
Also can shoot my 450 NE No.1 if you desire.
I will need to get loading, so when it gets close let me know so I can work on getting ammo done in time.
It's about an hour to GRR for me.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have four that I could bring and would make them available to others to try. They are a .22 Hornet, a .303 British, a .450 #2 NE, and a 12-bore double rifle. I built them all myself, but a few others, perhaps visually challenged, have described them as fairly nice.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Look forward to getting together.
Also will be a great oppertunity for me to get a 450 #2 for my bullet collection. I need that and the 476 WR round.

Nitro

DRSS, BASA

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat as Jason, i.e. no double to "contribute", but am moving to Kzoo next week and would love to see what it is all about...

Posts: 103 | Location: IA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best to keep in mind that the Southern Side By Side in N. Carolina is Apr 21,22,23. I'm thinking of going, so for me, Mi should be after those dates.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Clarkston, Michigan. Mine is a Heym 88B Safari in 500NE and yes, you guys are welcome to shoot it. Let me know what you plan. last 2 weeks of May I will be in Zim.

Can we get a list of other Michigan area guys with big bores and Africa on their mind. Matt Norman and I know each other well but I do not know that many others.

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Grand Rapids, I shoot at South Kent Sportmans Club in Dorr.

I can only afford Ruger RSM's now, but I would love to be there to check the guns out and say hi.

Go Navy

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Guys,
we will let this thread run on for a bit longer and see who else is interested,once we have a list,we will set a date & location,cheers.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I just got off the phone with Dave from CH4D and told him about your shoot. He might be interested in wandering up with some of his.
He's got several. Drop him a line and see if he can make it when you get a date decided.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Mike,
thanks I will drop him a line.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not that this is DR related but it is double gun related. I will be coordinating a driven pheasant shoot around Millersburg on April 10th. It is a full weekend with wife and dress is typical of english driven pheasant shoots. Goal will be 100 birds per shooter. I have one spot left if any Michigan guys also like double shotguns.

PM me if you have an interest.

Also, I am in for any DR shoot you put on.

Larry

York, SC

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
Hello-

I used to live in k-zoo area. I would be interested in coming up. would that be ok? when are you planning on doing this?

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

hi just found this thread and want to come to the shoot. at this time the only big bores i have a savage 110 in 450 marlin but am working on ruger 77 in 458ArrRel that maybe done soon. will try to keep up with this thread thanks Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not that this is DR related but it is double gun related. I will be coordinating a driven pheasant shoot around Millersburg on April 10th. It is a full weekend with wife and dress is typical of english driven pheasant shoots. Goal will be 100 birds per shooter. I have one spot left if any Michigan guys also like double shotguns.

PM me if you have an interest.

Also, I am in for any DR shoot you put on.

Bal, you should consider this if Millersburg is close to you!

Folks, yall will have fun with Bal! Be sure and go to his restaurant and have that Indian gravy compost dish he cooks every time we hunt together, its mighty good!! tu2 Wish I could make the shoot!!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Bill73

You have a PM !

Nitro450exp

DRSS, BASA

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
PM replied to.

DRSS

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
Bill73-

what day is this going to happen?

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, I just saw this thread last night. I don't know if this has happened yet but I'd show up just to see some double rifles in action. I'm between big bores right now so have nothing to offer for shooting.

Also, I'm in mid Michigan between Alma and Mt Pleasant.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
thanks for all your interest,
I am thinking that this can happen in June ?
so far we have four that actually have DR's,including me,and I would prefer a date that works for all four of us to maximize the number of dr's on hand,of course anybody is welcome to come and participate,I am now going to start a private thread and work up a final date,I will post the date as soon as it is finalised.

DRSS

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
thanks a lot! keep us posted.

*We Band of 45-70er's*