THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Yes or no on 375 H&H as double?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes or no on 375 H&H as double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I RAN across a heym 375 H&H sxs today that I fell in love with bc of its light weight, balance, aesthetic, and potential versatility as a good one gun African arsenal... let alone the fun I could have with it on some piggies at home.

My question; is there any merit to the notion that the 375 rimmed H&H is not a good round for a double. I'm never going to use it on ele, and the only dg I have any interest in shooting are cape buff and grizzly. I know some consider it heretical to scope a double, but wouldn't a little 1.5x5 QD mount on this baby be perfect for both cape buff and pg?

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm really hoping someone talks me out of spending a bunch of doe on this sucker. Wink

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Wales,

Had one at one time. Wish I never had sold it. They are sweet little rifles.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
No offense to anyone...but I can't see the point. Why pay a major premium for a .375 rimless double when you can get a 9,3x74R that will do basically anything the .375 will?

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Well, for the money it is a no-brainer to go Chapuis in a 9.3x74R.

On the other hand a 9.3x74R, the 375 Flanged, and the 375 Flanged Magnum, are not the same as a 375 H&H. They weren't, aren't, and never will be!

But for the bang for the buck ....

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I agree with you completely!

As neither the 9,3 nor the .375 H&H is ever going to be "serious" DG medicine...why not buy a Chapuis 9,3 and never have to think about the "rimless double rifle" worries? What's the base price on a Heym .375? $15K? Slightly less? For the same money, my suspicion is one could buy a matched PAIR of Chapuis 9,3s and still have a hefty deposit on an end of season buffalo hunt. No contest for this hunter.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My suggestion. . .
Since you have a 470, 9.3X74R, & a 450/400 on the way, you need to find an 8X57R.
What a neat little double! I really like mine.

You have all the DG game kill'n power you need in your safe. That 9.3X74R has servered several members of our forums well, up to and including Elephant.

The 375 H&H would be kinda in the middle serving the same purpose. Now there is nothing wrong with that. Lord knows, it has never stopped me from getting another double!

I'm still of the school that DG doubles ought to have a rimmed case. But that's just me.

Speaking of Austin, I'm passing through there today. My family and I are making a pilgrimage to the Holy Grail of Texas Barbecue,Kreuz Market in Lockhart.

Let us know what you decide!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That 9.3X74R has servered several members of our forums well, up to and including Elephant.

Rusty, what solids are recommended for the 9.3?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Wales,
Had one at one time. Wish I never had sold it. They are sweet little rifles.

Will, I too use to have one and wish I never had sold it. Frowner Great rifle and a feels like a pee shooter with the mild recoil. I would own one of these before I would a 450/400 but then again I have a 500 N.E. Smiler

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
No offense to anyone...but I can't see the point. Why pay a major premium for a .375 rimless double when you can get a 9,3x74R that will do basically anything the .375 will?

+1 thumb

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I believe that NE450#2 used Woodleigh solids in his 9.3X74R. Please search the forums under African hunt reports for his detailed post on the matter.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say: If a man has the budget...fill your safe with them. Heym builds nice doubles!
I do agree with Rusty though...your pretty close with the 3 guns you already have. You could go with the 8x57R...or if it was me, go bigger. Say .577/.600?
Hell of a price on a Searcy .577 in the classifieds.
ND Wink

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty. Will do! I have also PM'd him.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
its depends .. cheap enough, SURE.. but to go out of my way for that caliber, in a double? probably no

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote