THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    How do you protect your DR when in back of the land cruiser?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you protect your DR when in back of the land cruiser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you keep in a soft case?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Soft case.
Or if only going short distance, butt on floor, chamber empty, hold the muzzles.

Nitro

PS: My garbage Krieghoff came with a nice sturdy take down soft case, sorry couldn't resist.

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only place I have taken my new 'trash' Sabatti is to my smith to have a new recoil pad installed and smoothing the front trigger a bit. I carried it in it's "standard" takedown case.

As to other guns I have carried on Safari. They go in a soft case and hang on the rack up top on the Cruiser if I am up there with it. If riding inside it's in a soft case, unzipped and muzzle down right beside me. I suspect I will carry the double in the same manner while in Mozambique later this year.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International) Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What will you be hunting in Moz,Larry?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George - I'll be hunting Buff primarily, along with some smaller stuff needed by Leopard clients for bait. Planning on a 30-day stay like last year. It's great hanging in Africa for a whole month for sure.

Larry Sellers
SCI){International) Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter

quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
What will you be hunting in Moz,Larry?

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Do you keep in a soft case?

......................Yes! Unloaded.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
SHOOTACOW,

The safest place for the rifle while you're in the land
cruiser is inside your anal body orifice; so go with that!

nillynillynillynillynillynillynillynillynillynillynillynilly

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better safe than sorry. Get yourself a 30 foot length of rope tie it securely to your rifle, tie the other end to the bumper of the truck and drag your rifle behind the truck. After a mile or two the buffalo cow population of Zimbabwe should be safe(er).

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
On all my safaris I carried my double the exact same way I did my bolt guns no matter where in the vehicle I was sitting - In my two hands with the butt usually sitting on top of my foot and barrel between my knees. I never had a rifle that was placed in a truck rack - ever. When in camp they were usually in the hard case.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
On all my safaris I carried my double the exact same way I did my bolt guns no matter where in the vehicle I was sitting - In my two hands with the butt usually sitting on top of my foot and barrel between my knees. I never had a rifle that was placed in a truck rack - ever.

I gotta say, doing that for a whole safari sounds like a real pain in the ass.

Mike

Posts: 21281 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
On all my safaris I carried my double the exact same way I did my bolt guns no matter where in the vehicle I was sitting - In my two hands with the butt usually sitting on top of my foot and barrel between my knees. I never had a rifle that was placed in a truck rack - ever.

I gotta say, doing that for a whole safari sounds like a real pain in the ass.

No kidding. Especially if you have two rifles on the truck with you. Just put them in a good quality soft case and put them in the gun rack. No problems.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use a Galco slip for my unscoped rifle and a Zim made padded game skin slip for the scoped rifle and stored behind the seat or in the holder as per the bellow picture;

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the same big aluminum hard case I took it to Africa in. The rifles stay there until the PH says to get it out.

A finely tuned custom version like you have made from yours; a burlap sack in the rack.

For a small outlay of $$$, plus shipping and handling I can provide you with a genuine "Made In Idaho".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
the same big aluminum hard case I took it to Africa in. The rifles stay there until the PH says to get it out.

A finely tuned custom version like you have made from yours; a burlap sack in the rack.

For a small outlay of $$$, plus shipping and handling I can provide you with a genuine "Made In Idaho".

Rich

I have to see how my double fits in my custom soft case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now Rich that was funny. However, I don't think it sunk in!

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I made 8 safaris and I can't really remember any pain at all. Incidentally I was in my mid 60's then. I also have very few scratches on my guns as I prize them highly though they are far from collectors items. I just feel better with them in my hands.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the rifle in question I really wouldn't worry about it.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the cases hear. Great quality.
http://www.texashuntco.com/Pro...ils.asp?ProductID=50
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing I know for sure is that carrying a rifle in back of the cruiser in an ordinary soft case will not protect it from dents,etc... You need a special soft case.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is why I posted the link.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is so special about that?