Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 9.3x74R brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
I've been reloadng a long time - everything and every type of case from every manufacturer that has a product in the USA.

Never have I had a case get stuck or torn a rim off.

Until now...

TWICE with the same batch of Hornady 9.3x74R brass.

Two different RCBS resizing dies ...

One while using a Hornady shellholder and the other while using an RCBS shellholder ...

Anyone else run into this issue? bewildered

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hey!

What happened to my sig line(s)?

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Looks like the internet Gods finally stepped in and got you for too much stuff added on. Wink Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dukescav
posted Hide Post
Don't know about your case but I had gone years and years without sticking or ripping off a rim and then within a couple of months I did it twice. In both cases, I got way too sparing with the case lube. When I went back to a more normal lubing of the cases, have never stuck another one. I have not loaded the 9.3x74 but even with that long tapered case (I have loaded a bunch of 45-70) too little lube will make it stick, too much, dents the cases. The dents on the cases is why I started putting less lube in the first place and paid the price. Just my thoughts.

Posts: 47 | Location: Houston | Registered: 07 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
I have hade no trouble using RCBS a full length sizing die and RWS cases in 9.3x74R.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the shellholders the correct ones?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
The lube issue may be it - not because of the amount, but the temperature. I recently moved to a new house and the room that I do my reloading in currently has no heat - and is a nice 52 degrees. Perhaps the lubricity of the case lube I am using decreases with temperature.

Yes, Peter - two different shellholders both correct for 9.3x74R.

Will have to try warming the place up a bit

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Looks like the internet Gods finally stepped in and got you for too much stuff added on. Wink Big Grin

You may be on to something there ... but I have now made the appropriate sacrifices to said gods and VOILA! she is done!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my 74R brass is RWS, and i've never had it happen either.

I use RCBS dies, and usally my C0-AX press. I also use Imperial sizeing die wax, and it works in any tempature.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 2 kinds of people who reload those who have stuck a case and those who will have a stuck case. I don’t know what kind of lube you are using but a while ago when using a spray on lube I didn’t wait till it had dried and stuck a case. Moste case lubes are lanolin with an alcohol carrier. When you first spray the cases they are not verey slick. I do like Imperial sizing die wax on some applications. Having a stuck case removal tool on the shelf is a good investment.
I haven't had aney problems with Redding dies
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dukescav
posted Hide Post
Bill, totally agree that you either have had one stuck or you are going to. No telling how many years it will take but the shock of that event will last. For everybody that loads, if you don't have a stuck case remover, get one. One day you will need it very badly. It is very cheap insurance.

Posts: 47 | Location: Houston | Registered: 07 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to add, i HAVE had a case stick before, and i have removed quite a few stuck cases for others, but, i've never stuck a 74R case.

I've used a LOT of Imperial Sizeing Die Wax for heavy case forming and reloading many thousands of rounds. It's the best lube i've ever used.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dukescav:
Bill, totally agree that you either have had one stuck or you are going to. No telling how many years it will take but the shock of that event will last. For everybody that loads, if you don't have a stuck case remover, get one. One day you will need it very badly. It is very cheap insurance.

Agreed, been loading for almost 45 years and finally stuck a Ruger 375 case a few months ago. Almost ruined the die before I drove into town and bought the kit to remove it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I've had two instancs of head separation with RWS brass after firing in my #1-- once on a mule deer and once on a zebra.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LRH270:
I've had two instancs of head separation with RWS brass after firing in my #1-- once on a mule deer and once on a zebra.

On brand new or very few fired brass OR one many times fired brass ?

I am surprised on a No 1, with only one chamber it is so easy to neck size them
and still be able to use them.

Why did they let go at that most inopportune time ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Reloaded 2-3 times. First-timers don't have the issue it seems. Makes me apprehensive about trying to get too much life out of them.

I'm thinking of switching and trying Hornady, and getting the chamber polished.

The MOST inopportune time would have been on the leopard archer

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is unusual.

Do you NECK size only or Full length re size ?

Why "getting the chamber polished"

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
We've has several head seperations here using Norma brass in our Chapuis 9.3X74R's after a couple of loadings also.

No brand is immune.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've NEVER had a RWS 74R case seprate, but then again, i set the headspace on the shoulder, NOT on the rim.

DM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 9,3 Chapuis only requires the slightest amount of resizing and I have seen case heads separate on Norma as well as RWS brass.
Norma brass was bought used, RWS was new but forgot to record how many times it was reloaded but think 4-5. Havent yet tried Hornady 9,3 brass.
But have learned enough that I would not make hunting rounds out of brass that has been fired more than once.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
But have learned enough that I would not make hunting rounds out of brass that has been fired more than once.

Well, Dangerous game hunting.

I often carry an over sized brush with me (as part of a field cleaning kit) which is useful for pulling out cases - of course you can use another case just as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill's assessment is correct in my experience. Anhydrous lanolin with an alcohol drying agent in most spray lubes. I, too, had a 450-400 3 1/4 stick by not allowing it to dry. Took the de-capping pin out and ran a metal rod down through the die body. Made contact with the web and a hammer punched it out. Not something I care to repeat.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

Well, Dangerous game hunting.

I often carry an over sized brush with me (as part of a field cleaning kit) which is useful for pulling out cases - of course you can use another case just as well.

Thats a great idea. Thanks for the tip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

500N. I understand the oversize brush but don't understand the "use another case just as well" to remove a stuck case.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've had one of my Norma cases seperate in a friends rifle. For case lube I use Imperial Sizing Wax.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:

500N. I understand the oversize brush but don't understand the "use another case just as well" to remove a stuck case.
Peter.

You can sometimes push another case - empty round but I suppose in desperation you could use a live one - into the chamber, twist and hope it dislodges the case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,

I'm not often on this forum but I too have reloaded for many years. I would expect your problem is a combination of a tapered case with almost no shoulder that stretches easily and maybe a max load that weakens the case plus perhaps a lube problem. As with the 375 H&H full length resizing should be avoided as it will remarkably reduce your case life. Partial resizing seems to work very well.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12877 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:

Happier now DD? hilbily