Find
Notify
Tools

Retirement!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I sent in my retirement papers last week. Hoping to retire on May 31st. I want to get down to Texas for a shoot and hopefully get a picture of MacD37 shooting my .470 Blaser S2. We may need to get some guys to hold him for the picture. Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!
Hope to see you in TX one day....As for getting Mac to shoot the Blaser...stranger things have happened down there....we got 400 Nitro Express to shoot a scoped Double...he even liked it!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Dave! I retired at 55 3 years ago, and never looked back. Plenty of time now for hunting, shooting, keeping up with the kids, hanging out on AR (?), all sorts of fun stuff.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Boy do I hate you guys ... CRYBABY

beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Boy do I hate you guys ... CRYBABY

beer

Yeah...me too!!!

In 2006...I thought there was hope for retirement. This economy has removed any shadow of that hope! I'll probably be working til 75 now!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
fishingCongrats

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Come on Down, Dave. Lots of your fellow DRSS Texan would like to shoot your double!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
I sent in my retirement papers last week. Hoping to retire on May 31st. I want to get down to Texas for a shoot and hopefully get a picture of MacD37 shooting my .470 Blaser S2. We may need to get some guys to hold him for the picture. Wink

....................... yuck jumping

Dave we should be having the "HOOT-N-SHOOT" down at Juliff, Texas (suburb of Houston) at the Bayou Rifles range for our spring DRSS/ Bubba shooters get together soon. Rusty hasn't set it up yet as far as I know, but it should be soon.

A fun timed shoot of four shots from a double rifle, or what ever rifle you choose to shoot, even a Blaser S2. Hell they may even let me shoot your ammo up out of the old ugly Blaser S2.

Congratulations Dave, I retired the last day of Feb 1996, and it ain't bad, other than old age and health!
Come on down we'd love to have you down here for the shoot, and we may even forgive you for the blasphemy of owning a Blaser S2.
Wink

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats my friend!!! Now you'll have some time to shoot them doubles!

Best of luck.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Dave. Welcome to the club!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
I hope your retirement is well received at home and your able to have more time for the things you like to do. tu2

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Good luck with the retirement. Well deserved.

I'm 16 months and 16 days away myself. But who's counting?

Then I'll be spending more time south of these long cold winters. Preferably Texas or Arizona. And Texas is first on the list.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Dave, now we can get some real shooting in; Rock On!

"Z"

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last day on the job was October 26th of 2008.

This retirement gig is everything they said it could be and more!

I got my wife online with hunting Africa on even numbered years. That way you have time to get your taxidermy work done, and shipped home and paid for, and most of a year to save up for the next trip. Look at some of the other guys trophy rooms and figure out what would look good on yours. Talk to some of the guys here, and think about what country and PH on the next trip. Then of course, the planning on what rifle to build/buy next.

It doesn't get much better...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. I am envious. I just turned 49 and am shooting for 4 - 5 more years then pulling the plug.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrads: been retired 18 years now and enjoying every minute. stop and smell the roses along your journey. my best bob

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
My last day on the job was October 26th of 2008.

This retirement gig is everything they said it could be and more!

I got my wife online with hunting Africa on even numbered years. That way you have time to get your taxidermy work done, and shipped home and paid for, and most of a year to save up for the next trip. Look at some of the other guys trophy rooms and figure out what would look good on yours. Talk to some of the guys here, and think about what country and PH on the next trip. Then of course, the planning on what rifle to build/buy next.

It doesn't get much better...

Rich

Rich, I just want to shoot one thing, a cape buffalo. Maybe I can get it done.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cut the cord November 8, 2008 3 days after my birthday. My retirement started out really busy but I am starting to feel 100% unemployable now.
My old boss called me last month and asked if I would be willing to come back as a consultant until our building project is completed and it took a couple of days for me to stop laughing.
I hope yours is as much fun.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. dancing beer

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm 16 months and 16 days away myself. But who's counting?

16 1/2 months left? That's some HARD TIME!!!! (Tee Hee Hee!)

Posts: 20088 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I said that very thing, almost word for word.
Then Mike Jines set me up with a late hunt with Myles at www.cmsafaris.com up in northern Zimbabwe.

One of the cool things about being retired, and having a passport; you can call Kathi Klime, have tickets, and do all the permits, etc fast. It took me seventeen days from "hey want to go Buffalo hunting..." to landing in Harare.

Of course, after that, you get to looking at pictures of Kudu, and Gemsbok, and Eland, and a Zebra rug for Mamma's living room, and maybe Blesbok (there are three sub species you know), and an Impala... OH, where was I?

Like I said, every other year, and get Mamma a new car. Then you get to Stage III. That's the part where I am now. Remodeling the house so you have room for those trophies.

It's a constant grind, once you hit the Dagga Boy stage of life...

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Dave Congratulations on your retirement. I retired on 30- June-2006. On August 14th. of that year, I went in to the hospital and had a knee replacement for my left leg.

From that point on, I have not slowed down one bit.

After the recuperation period was over, I was able to do stuff I had not been able to do for about 5 years because of the pain.

In 2009, I started working for a friend on his farming/ranching/hunting properties, and am able to be outside, in the pastures, hunting/scouting/filling feeders/setting up blinds/checking-setting up game cams/shooting varmints/guiding hunters/fishing on a daily basis and getting paid for it.

There is a God and Life Is Good.

Hope you enjoy your retirement half as much as I do. clap beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dave, you will know why we are all smiling.

Mike Big Grin

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Congrats and good health in your retirement,

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes is is a good thing my retirement was offical Feb 11th Iam still working into it kind of sill has the feeling of being on vacation.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course I congratulate you!
Jan 30, 2012 is my final day.
The day before my 52nd birthday.
dancing dancing

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
You will enjoy. I was able to do it at 53, 7 years ago. Now if I could get the little lady to decide to quit I'd have it made.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 35. I received a letter from my corporate office with a retirement date of May 2041.

My first thought upon reading that date was, great, I'll be dead by then!