THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    450-400 N.E., R-15 wad or no wad?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450-400 N.E., R-15 wad or no wad?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Starting to load up some 400 grain Woodies and Hornady DGX bullets will be starting the load at 67-68grains of R-15, are you guys having to use a wad? I use foam wads.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
At Rusty's suggestion and as supplied by him, I used foam wads with RL-15 for the DGXs. I figured Rusty is the guru of 450-400s and his advice was gold.
It is!
Very happy with accuracy and consistency using that combo.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same loading as I tried.....use the wad. I used foam plugs.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
At Rusty's suggestion and as supplied by him, I used foam wads with RL-15 for the DGXs. I figured Rusty is the guru of 450-400s and his advice was gold.
It is!
Very happy with accuracy and consistency using that combo.

You guys using length wise a full 1 inch wad or a 1/2 inch wad?

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I used 1/2" foam plug. Lots of people use cut to length foam backer rod from Home Depot and others buy foam window insulation and use a chamfered case to "cookie-cut" plugs.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was cutting mine from some packing foam.....3/4".

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dirk, I could provide you some.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Does it matter about the 'firmness' of the foam? I know that some foams are firmer than others.....thx.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are you guys using wads? The new Hornady reloading manual lists this cartridge with many powder choices and no mention of any fillers.
Hornady does however suggest a good crimp to improve ignition.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't use wads with the H4350 loads...just the RL15.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I use Kynoch foam wads with R-15 in the 450/400 3" and the 450/400 3 1/4".

Posts: 1308 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Consider using 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch foam backer rod from Home Depot or another Box store, Very cheap (under $300 for 25 feet, you can cut to length with razor blade or Exacto knife. Insert in case with a pencil flat end or just drop in the 3/8" size. It keeps the powder in place just fine. More consistent results on the chronograph.

Good Shooting

Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, post above should read $3.00 as cost of backer rod.

Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You must use a filler in the 450/400 with RL 15.
The filler must be compressed.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
You must use a filler in the 450/400 with RL 15.
The filler must be compressed.

Why?

The latest Hornady manual says nothing of wads with this powder. I have never loaded for the 450/400 so my experience is zip. But I do have one on order so am trying to learn as much as possible.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe, please send me your email address and I will forward you an article by Ross Seyfried and using filler with RL-15 in Large Nitro Cases.

It will answer all your questions.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
snowwolfe at gci.net

Thank you. Always willing to learn. And wondering why Hornady thinks it is ok while some here do not.

Has anyone here who claims you need a wad actually experienced problems when not using any with RL 15?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir....no wad with RL15 = erratic velocities and larger groups. I have shot my 450 NE w/o a filler with RL15...no problems and pretty consistant readings. I believe that Shooting the Double Rifle says plugs not needed with 450 NE as well.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just went through this. With RL-15 and no wads, I was haing minute hangfires. I wouldn't have noticed without electronic muffs. On every shot, I heard a tiny click when the hammer fell on the No 1, the the shell fired. It was a minute delay but there. Accuracy off sandbags was exceptional. I returned home and did quite a bit of investigation. I read Seyfrieds work RE the 450-400, and if I remember correctly, he recommended a wad (polyester) if you got hangfires. I was going to try them, but I happened to see that note in the new hornady manual. I loaded up a bunch of DGX's with RL-15, Federal 215 primers and a good crimp. I actually just got back from the range an hour ago, and they functioned flawlessly with groups around 3/8" at 50 yards. Instant ignition. My vote goes to magnum primers and crimping. If you use a filler, I would go with polyester. While it is minor, the 450/400 is a bottleneck case, and there are a lot reports of damage with foam plugs in bottleneck cases. I know a lot of people use them and swear by them, but I see no reason to take the chance. Try the crimp and magnum primers first to see how they do.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Art.Smiler

Why not just use a slower powder to begin with? Or have you guys tried slower powders and found them to be so inaccurate they would not work for short range hunting loads?

PS: Midway has the Hornady DGX bullets back in stock.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
SW,
In vintage double rifles it's all about trying to replicate Cordite and it's pressure curve.

Usually the barrels of the old doubles are much thinner than today's modern state of the are rifles. There is the metallurgy of those long-past eras to deal with as well.

The huge cases of the Nitro Express Cartridges, designed to hold the long stands of Cordite and deliver a large caliber round at moderate pressure in tropical heat, did not have the luxury of choice in selecting a wide range of propellants.

RL-15, aka Norma 203B, fills the bill for pressure curve needs. It is, as most powders are, position sensitive. As stated in the Seyfried article, Handloader Magazine Dec1999/Jan2000, the filler holds the powder up against the primer, takes up the unused space and provides for some very uniform velocities.

Hopefully the copies of the article I sent will make it to you via email.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty makes a point here that is often overlooked in these types of discussions. This is the Double Gun forum, and there are sometimes issues which are particular to them. The importance of pressure curves may be important to them as regards regulation and also safety of rather old doubles. (The same holds true for older double shotguns.) My comments were directed primarily at reloading the cartridge per se, in my case for a single shot. In a modern rifle with a single barrel, loading density and powder position are important only as they affect velocity spread, max pressure and ignition. If these are acceptable then the load will work. Many recommended and successful loads in manuals have relatively low loading densities. If performance is otherwise acceptable, use of fillers is not recommended, in my opinion. It is then just another potential source of problems. If needed for performance, then use them.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Rusty. Makes sense on vintage rifles.

But what about new ones? Why stick with RL 15 if you need to use a filler when you can simply move onto slower powders?

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
With newer rifles use what it was regulated with, or find something that you like. You will find that RL-15 will give you a reduced recoil.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe some useful information from my experience.

My K-Gun in 450/400 NE.3in. was regulated with Hornady 400 gr. bullets and H 4831 at about 80
grains of powder for a speed of 2040 fps as confirmed by the ballistics dept. at Hornady for their Factory Ammo. I was able to duplicate this load but was never very happy with the Standard Deviation numbers on the Ohler
35P chronograph running over 50. (or the recoil)

Reading here on this forum and elsewhere about RL 15, I decided to try some. Results were about the same velocity (2080 fps.), good regulation, reduced recoil and a Standard Deviation running around 9, Total of 6 shots, 3 shots per bbl. using 66 to 66.5 gr of RL#15
and using a foam filler cut from a 3/8 foam backer rod. (From Home Depot -- 25 Ft. for less than $3) Some tests without the filler worked OK but had higher SD. i.e. I'm sticking with the foam for now.

Reference page 88 regarding fillers on large NE
cases by Graeme Wright (Shooting the British Double Rifle) 3rd edition. He indicates the 450 3 1/4 is about the largest case where you can get by without a filler. I recomend the filler as a good chronograph will prove good results.

Hope this is of sonme help to double gun shooters.

Good Shooting,

Tetonka

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty--Would you please e-mail the Seyfried article to me at wpe2sge2@bellsouth.net?

Thanks,

Bill E.

Posts: 70 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It is on the way. Let me know when you get it.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Rusty, one more for the wad article if you would. tvandiepen@farmersagent.com

Thanks, Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tom,
It should be on the way. let me know if it shows up.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Tom,
It should be on the way. let me know if it shows up.

Rusty, yes it showed up and thanks for the effort. I read the article when it was published, but did not shoot doubles then. To the topic, in 450/400 and 470 will shoot ok without fillers but I got some significant velocity ranges. With fillers, especially foam, velocity extreme spread decreased to about 50fps and groups improved a lot.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This link has 450-400 quotes by Seyfried from a number of published sources.

http://castboolits.gunloads.co...dex.php/t-64206.html