THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My Searcy 450NE complete and on video!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Searcy 450NE complete and on video!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bores needed a good cleaning.That is what caused the shots to spread,IMO.It took several applications of Wipe-Out to remove the copper fouling after the last few shots.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
The bores needed a good cleaning.That is what caused the shots to spread,IMO.It took several applications of Wipe-Out to remove the copper fouling after the last few shots.

Wipeout is great but I might be a gluten for punishment for i think it is highly unlikely the shots are not grouping closer at 50m due to fowling.
I hardly clean my barrels and do not have an issue.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:

Wipeout is great but I might be a gluten for punishment for i think it is highly unlikely the shots are not grouping closer at 50m due to fowling.

As you can see in the second target I posted the group was closer together with a cleaner bore.
I have never had a barrel that was not affected by fouling.I never heard of one either.You have said that the position of the sun causes your POI to change.I don't buy that too.My Searcy will out shoot your WR or any other double you own.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

As you can see in the second target I posted the group was closer together with a cleaner bore.
I have never had a barrel that was not effected by fouling.I never heard of one either.You have said that the position of the sun causes your POI to change.I don't buy that too.My Searcy will out shoot your WR or any other double you own.

You'll never learn, will you?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting off sticks? or off hand?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have never had a barrel that was not effected by fouling.I never heard of one either.You have said that the position of the sun causes your POI to change.I don't buy that too.My Searcy will out shoot your WR or any other double you own.

You'll never learn, will you?
Cal

See, the whole liability waiver idea wasn’t half bad.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot it at 100yds(the two holes on the top).
As you can see I need a taller front sight-about a .02 correction.
[URL= ]100yds off the bench[/URL]
I got a sight that shoots too high and one that shoots too low and Recknagel doesn't seem to make one in between.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget this is a stopping rifle.If you need to shoot at 100yds that means you didn't place the first shots right to begin with.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's not forget this is a stopping rifle.If you need to shoot at 100yds that means you didn't place the first shots right to begin with.

And??

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

They make great hunting rifles not often necessarily for stopping a charge

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Strongly disagree!

By your own words, "A Stopping Rifle". That implies that its only use is to clean up a botched shot with your "Non-Stopping Rifle", does it not?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Strongly disagree!

By your own words, "A Stopping Rifle". That implies that its only use is to clean up a botched shot with your "Non-Stopping Rifle", does it not?

You disagree that a 450NE is a stopping rifle?

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Strongly disagree!

You disagree that a 450NE is a stopping rifle?

I disagree that it is ONLY a stopping rifle. It's a hunting rifle. It can be used as a "Stopping Rifle" if necessary ... if shot accurately.

I disagree that the only reason to shoot it 100 yards is when you didn't place the first shots right to begin with (implying you blew the shot and you're trying to stop the animal from getting away).

Again, it's a hunting rifle ... period. I've done several hunts with a double rifle only, with no bolt, single shot, etc. or other scoped weapon with which to switch in the event you can't get closer. (Done that also and felt I cheated myself ... previously the topic of one of my AR threads). I like to hunt up close but have taken longer shots with a double more than once and it worked like a charm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron Vella of Canada and member of this website has shot game with his legendary .450 #2 NE double rifle at upwards of 200 yards several times. I recall that he has made comments about this on this website as well as on the Nitro Express website.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
While hunting in the Zambezi Valley a few years ago with well known PH, Lance Nesbitt, this issue came up. Lance was shooting a 470 Nitro double rifle in, I believe, a Chapuis. I was hesitant to shoot at buffalo at over 100 yards with my Searcy 450-400 double rifle. He told me that he had shot game out to over 200 yards with his iron-sighted Chapuis, and felt confident in doing so. I took him at his word and shot my second cape buffalo with Lance at well over 100 yards. One shot, death bellowing resulted, and it was all over. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys I think what George meant was that 45 caliber doubles are designed as close in stopping rifles. I don't know of any maker that built a big bore double with long range shooting as it's purpose. I will also say that it is allot of fun shooting the big doubles at longer ranges than they were made for. In 2000 I was on a hunt with the late Art Carter and Johan Calitz. One evening going to camp Johan stops the truck hands me his 470 and ask if I would take the two Tsessebe out in front of us.
I did, two shots two Tsessebe down at 180 yds.
So in the end how a hunter uses his rifle is his choice.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I think that what Butch says is absolutely true. However, that does not mean that you can't reach out and fatally touch game a little further out as Butch himself has also attested to! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Searcy Doubles.
Just wish I didn't need to sell mine.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
You deserve the Nobel Peace prize mate! patriot

quote:
rotflmo

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
You deserve the Nobel Peace prize mate! patriot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ozhunter:
rotflmo
[/QUOT

Sometimes one must be pragmatic Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Right barrel only at 50yds.It's a stopper alright!

[URL= ]50yds[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right barrel only at 50yds.It's a stopper alright!

[URL= ]50yds[/URL]

A nice group George but don't know why you relate stopping with grouping. My 7mm-08 shoots better groups than that at 100m but that doesn't make it a stopper in the sense of hard hitting power to disable large dangerous game either charging or running off wounded.
Indeed your 450 will be a stopper by virtue of its calibre and bullet weight, it is just up to you to place the bullet where it counts.

Looking forward to reading of your hunting with the new Searcy.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
All semantics aside, it appears to be a very attractive rifle that shoots well.

I can understand why you are happy with it, and wish you the utmost success in the field with it.

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Shootaway. The .450 is a good and versatile caliber for the hunter and reloader. Your dr looks good.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
George

I see your groups (posts dated on 29th April, 5th May & 11th May) - are variable in point of impact.

The last one - right barrel only looks perfect. It would be good to know if the left barrel regulated at the same area.

Have you resolved your foresight by just feeling comfortable with your sight picture or did you change your fore sight?

Wish you best and hope your 100 yard POI & groups are also acceptable.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote