Find
Notify
Tools

450 Nitro 3 1/4 dies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I got a set from Midway yesterday, not sure how many sets they have.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cordite_Blues,

Thanks for the heads up.

Midway must have just got them in. They were showing February.

I spoke to Graf's earlier this week concerning my shellholder and they didn't know when they would get a shipment from Hornady. I mentioned the 75 shellholders at Hornady that Snowwolfe mentioned in an earlier post.

Graf's page showed one left so I called concerning mine figuring they got enough to fill all the backorders and had one left. Good thing I called.

Somehow, I was skipped even though my backorder is over 3 months old. The rep said they did get some but used them to fill backorders. I mentioned that there was one left according to the website and my backorder dated to 13 October. She said I should have been contacted but will send that one this coming week.

Thanks again.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get 'em while you can guys. The prices on these dies keep going up.

From Graf's:

Went up from $74.99 to $79.99 Midway wants $85.99 but has them in stock.
HRN 450 N.E 3.25" SERIES IV FL 2-DIE SET, S/H #54
Price: $79.99
Availability: Out of stock
Item Number: HRN546433

Went up from $4.59 to $7.49
HRN S/H #54: 450 N.E. 3.25"

Price: $7.49
Availability: Only one in stock
Item Number: HRN390609

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, now I am really confused. Hornady told me on the phone the dies are a three die set yet you posted they are only two dies? Am sure this is a typo on someones part.
Either way, I can not find them on Midways web site.
Do you have Midway part #'s for the dies and shellholders?

Frustrating at times but I keep on telling myself the dies will be here before the rifle is builtSmiler

BTY, Grafs is still telling me they never received anymore and mine are still on backorder since September. Go figure.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com:80/vi...productnumber=651436

Site still shows them as available.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I snagged that last shell holder for Grafs. Ther rest they have were spoken for.
Randy, You can use mine anytime you want..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My .450/.400 shellholder works just fine for the .450 NE.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

They say 2-die on the Midway and Graf's site, but mine is 3-die as Hornady told you.

Midway #s

Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set 450 Nitro Express
Product #:651436
Manufacturer #: 546433
Our Price:$85.99

Hornady Shellholder #54 (450 Nitro Express)
Product #:464981
Manufacturer #: 390609
Our Price:$6.79

Graf's #s

HRN 450 N.E 3.25" SERIES IV FL 2-DIE SET, S/H #54
Price: $79.99
Availability: Out of stock
Item Number: HRN546433

HRN S/H #54: 450 N.E. 3.25"
Price: $7.49
Availability: Only one in stock
Item Number: HRN390609

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJines,

The .450/400 3 1/4" is made from the .450 NE. The .450/400 3" (Jeffery) has the thick rim. Maybe the thick rim shellholder will work with the thin rim. I don't know. The rim diameters are about the same

The .450 3 1/4" BPE and the .450 3 1/4" NE are both .450 thin rim, which is supposed to be a max thickness of .042" per CIP.

.450 Nitro Express 3 1/4" standards for Max Cartridge/Min Chamber are .042"/.043" rim thickness and .624"/.634" rim diameter.

From Jamison site: http://www.jamisoninternational.com

.450 Nitro Express 3 1/4" Case Specifications

Bullet Diameter .458 in (11.63 mm)
Neck Diameter .4811 in (12.22 mm)
Rim Diameter .6240 in (15.85 mm)
Rim Thickness .0421 in (1.07 mm)
Case Length 3.250 in (82.55 mm)

.450/400 Nitro Express 3 1/4" Case Specifications

Bullet Diameter .410 in (10.41 mm)
Neck Diameter .4350 in (11.05mm)
Rim Diameter .6240 in (15.85 mm)
Rim Thickness .0420 in (1.07 mm)
Case Length 3.250 in (82.55 mm)

.450/400 Nitro Express 3" Case Specifications

Bullet Diameter .410 in (10.41 mm)
Neck Diameter .4402 in (11.18 mm)
Rim Diameter .6248 in (15.87 mm)
Rim Thickness .0650 in (1.65 mm)
Case Length 3.000 in (76.20 mm)

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave!
Mine were supposed to be shipped last Weds. or Thurs. from Graff's. It'll be interesting to see how many dies are in the set. They should be here any day now.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the sizing die and noticed that the expander ball that Hornady is calling an Expander/Decap retainer is of a very small diameter. According to the booklet that came with the dies, this part is caliber specific. You might want to check yours when you get your dies.

At this point, I don't mind because I am going to try for maximum neck tension as suggested by 400 nitro express in other posts. I can always ask Hornady for the correct size later.

Along with a wrench for the lock rings, they also included an extra decapping pin and an extra retaining ring for the seater die.

The expander die, remember this a 3 die set regardless of what Graf's and Midway say, is just to bell/flare the case mouth only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave up with Grafs. Ordered the dies and Hornady shell holder #54 from Midway this am.
Midway shows both in stock.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
The mailman brought mine today. They are the 3 die set also. Looks good and since they are ALOT cheaper than the green boxed ones I'm happier!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally got the rare and elusive Hornady shellholder #54 on Thursday. I had called Graf's for a tracking # Tuesday and was told they were out of stock. I said I had called Saturday and that they were shipping one Monday. The phone reps and the shipping dept. need better communication.

Anyway, all I need now is my rifle. The delivery period is from mid-Jan to mid-Feb. So the end is within 2 weeks now. It has been hard to wait.

Funny though, that I haven't been asked for dealer's FFL or payment of balance due. Then again, I don't know how these things work. I've never had a made to order rifle before.

I wonder if the Smithsonian would like to exhibit a Hornady 3-die set in .450 NE with shellholder? Might be a big tourist attraction.

posted Hide Post
I ordered the dies and shell holder from Buffalo Arms on Dec. 30 and was told they were out of stock, but would be put on backorder. After keeping track of what was being said on this thread - and after talking to a Hornady representative at SCI - I thought I would be lucky to see them in 6 months. Wrong! The 3-die set and #54 shell holder showed up last Friday.

Dave

Posts: 22 | Location: California | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I came to the realization that Grafs didnt have a clue as to what they had or when they would get it. Three days after placing the order at Midway for both the dies and shell holder the package was on my door step in Alaska.
By the way, the brass fits into the shell holder very nicely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it fits nicely. The dies are a bit different design though. You will want to read the booklet behind the foam panel in the die box.

I think I can set these dies up in my 35 year old Rockchucker and, with a bit of difficulty, be able to seat the bullet and get the loaded round out without having to unscrew the seating die.