New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Nitro 3 1/4 dies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Been searching for a FL reloading die set for this caliber and can't seem to locate any.
Can anyone recommend a source for purchasing? Midway doesnt list them and Graf's reports they are not in stock. Not listed in Reddings catalog.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Huntingtons. They have a lot of the less common dies.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
From what I've heard the $80 Hornady's will be shipped out soon (weeks). Just hang tight like I'm doing Randy!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine came from C&H have worked fine

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call Dave at CH-4D dies. They have them in stock. I just bought a set 2 months ago...they work great.
ND Wink

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my doubles I use RCBS ordered form Huntingtons. They work perfect.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but I guess I will hold out as long as possible for the Hornady dies.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
LOL,The rifle is due in when? Big GrinBig Grin

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not soon enoughSmiler
But if I buy the dies now the rifle will be delivered quicker.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone asked Redding if they ever plan on offering 450NE dies?

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Called Hornady today and was told they are not on the immediate production schedule. The lady I talked to said in her opinion the earliest they will be produced is the first of the year.

Call Hornady and put a bug in there assSmiler
1 800 338 3220

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That's totally opposit from what they told 'Bill/Oregon' when I was asking about dies in early August in this post.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...241046411#1241046411

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

If you just have to go with Hornady dies, I'll be glad to loan you a set of custom-grade 3 1/2"ers until you can round up your own - certainly up to six months... PM me your contact info and I will get them headed your way by this weekend.

Suspect you've had snow coming down the mountains around Eagle River for several weeks now...

Regards,
Emory

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
That's totally opposit from what they told 'Bill/Oregon' when I was asking about dies in early August in this post.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...241046411#1241046411

Well, hope they lied to meSmiler and dies are ready next month.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emory:
Snowwolfe,

If you just have to go with Hornady dies, I'll be glad to loan you a set of custom-grade 3 1/2"ers until you can round up your own - certainly up to six months... PM me your contact info and I will get them headed your way by this weekend.

Suspect you've had snow coming down the mountains around Eagle River for several weeks now...

Regards,
Emory

That is very nice of you but I can wait as my rifle will most likely not be built for about 6 months.
Just trying to anticipate the delivery and accumulate the components.

Picture of ChrisPer
posted Hide Post
If you are caught short you can pick up a set of Lee 45/70 dies and crimper and adapt them.

For my 450 No 1 Express 2 3/4" I cut the bottom 1" off the dies and used them as a neck die set. Drill out the crimper so the shoulder can enter and make a collar to extend from the shellholder to the crimper base.

For your case which does not have a shoulder you may even be able to use the 45/70 dies as-is.

Posts: 15 | Location: Australia | Registered: 08 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a quote I received from Hornady today via email:

"Randy,
There is a large back order for that particular dieset. Because it is a series 4 specialty die set, they will only be made for order that are in house. We would highly recommend getting on a waiting list for these
dies.

Thank you"

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That doesn't answer the question of when they're going to be produced though..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I asked how to get on the "waiting list" and this was there reply:

Randy,

You may call the sales department here at Hornady at 1-800-338-3220 or
go through mail order companies such as Cabela's, Midway USA, Graf &
Son's or many of the other fine mail order companies out there.

Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Hornady today after two emails were never answered. I was told 6-8 weeks. The rep said the dies are not yet being produced but that Graf's and Midway were on the list to get some when they are ready. Looks like first of 2010 for Hornady.

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I just for a reply from Hornady to an enquiry I sent them on the 14th reguarding the 450 NE dies.

"I am checking on this and will get back to you as soon as I have an
answer. I am sorry for the long wait on these dies, we do appreciate
your patience with us.

Thank you"

I'm still waiting for an answer..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any updates on the dies?
Graf still shows them on backorder.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Yes! Last week Hornady told me they had shipped them out to Graff and MidwayUSA.. But neither company has seen them or gotten them..

IMO Hornady doesn't have a clue!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway site says:

Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set 450 Nitro Express
Product #: 651436
Manufacturer #: 546433
Date Expected In-Stock: 11/23/2009

Hornady Shellholder #54 (450 Nitro Express)
Product #: 464981
Manufacturer #: 390609
Date Expected In-Stock: 11/23/2009

I called Hornady on 20 October after two emails were never answered. I was told 6-8 weeks. The rep said the dies are not yet being produced but that Graf's and Midway were on the list to get some when they are ready.

Is Midway just throwing up a date?

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms sent me a 450 #2 set of CH4 dies in two or three days. About half the price of RCBS

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOU'LL NOT GP WRONG BUYING THE C & H DIES.

HAVE YOU TALKED TO DAVE ? DAVE@CH4D.COM

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Hornady die set and shellholder on order from Grafs.

HRN 450 N.E 3.25" SERIES IV FL 2-DIE SET
Item Number: HRN546433 Price: $74.99

HRN S/H #54: 450 N.E. 3.25"
Item Number: HRN390609 · Price: $4.59

Aren't the C&H dies about twice that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starting to think these dies are almost impossible to obtain.
Called Hornady Dec 4th and they told me they shipped some to Buffalo Arms, Grafs, and Nanchez in Nov. Called each of the companies mentioned and they said they don't have them in stock. Hornady said they would be reproducing more "soon". Time will tell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would make sense for Hornady to produce enough die sets to satisfy existing orders from distributors and some more for working inventory while they are tooled up to do so.

My Email inquiries to Hornady go unanswered. My guess is that they haven't made any sets yet and won't until their production schedule says, make .450 NE dies. Since we don't have anyone on the inside, all we can do is wait. These customer "service" reps are not being informative. They probably don't know the answers and just say something to give some sort of response to a caller.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can understand you would rather not have the Hornady's in lieu of having the CH-4D's. It's like the Yin & Yang thing, huh?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Graf's today. I was told they did get some dies and shellholders in awhile back. They said they didn't get enough to fill all the backorders and are allocating them first come, first serve. They said they have a set of dies for me, but no shellholder. They don't expect another shipment from Hornady until January. The asked if I wanted the dies shipped right away. I told them that I would need the shellholder to use them. So, there seems to be a bit of progress from Hornady, who still neglects to answer emails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho,

My rifle isn't due until Jan/Feb 2010 so I can wait a bit for the dies. Actually, I haven't heard that Butch has even started on my rifle, if he sends emails to customers about things like that. Snowwolfe ordered his before I did and hasn't posted anything concerning progress on his.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which RCBS shell holder is needed?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It's a special one for the thin rimmed 450 NE.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike,
I never gave the shell holder any thought. Called Grafs and out one on backorder as well.
Am thinking the dies and shell holder may take longer to get than the rifle!

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You can always get them faster from RCBS or CH4D!
Hey it's only money! Just tell your wife they were on sale.. ( Like your tag line! Wink )

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got my Hornady .450 Nitro dies from Graf's. No shellholder yet.

Set has 3 dies and a different design than RCBS or LEE. A spare decapping pin and lock ring wrench are included. Provided booklet shows setup and has a parts diagram.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be jinxed. Just called Graf's and were told they are still on backorder!
And get this, Hornady told me they have 75 shell holders in stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

Graf's told me last month that they did not get enough sets of dies to fill all their backorders. They said they fill by order date, oldest order gets filled first. I had ordered on 13 October. They are expecting another shipment from Hornady this month. I hope your dies and shellholders for both of us get there.

One of Us
Picture of Cordite_Blues
posted Hide Post
Midway shows them available as of yesterday (1/22/10).

cb

"In a question of right and wrong, never be neutral." Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 29 | Location: Rochester, MI USA | Registered: 20 December 2005Reply With Quote