Find
Notify
Tools

Heym Recoil
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
Several tell me that Heym rifles tend to kick more than many other doubles in the same caliber. Is this purely a function of weight, or is there something about the way Heym builds its rifles that contributes to the level of felt recoil?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I have shot Heym doubles in 30/30 [O/U], 450/400, 450 3 1/4", 470, and 600...

Can't figure out why anyone would think they would kick more than any other double in the same calibre???

I will say, that if I was buying a new made double rifle today, to use, it would be a Heym.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 500 NE. It did in fact kick the hell out of me. I am told they old stock design was a problem. That has apparently been corrected.

Posts: 11990 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The stock angle, drop at comb and heel all have as much to do with felt recoil as does the actual recoil itself; if the comb comes up and hits you like George Forman, you will feel it more than if it just pushes your shoulder. (Even with a proper cheek weld) I have fired 9.3s that felt like I was belted in the face due to stock drop, then fired 470s that were not bad at all. That is why modern rifles tend to have straighter stocks than they did 100 years ago, although I like the classic looks.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have owned two Heyms. The first was a .470 NE that I owned about four or five years ago. It kicked like crazy and I would end up with cut fingers, bruises, etc. The second was (is) a .500 NE. The .500 NE is very pleasant to shoot. I had it at the range yesterday and was reminded of that fact. My understanding from Chris is that the stock was redesigned several years ago. They also changed the barrel profile to add a little weight. My .500 NE is 11 pounds on the dot. I am very pleased with the .500 and expect that it will be with me in June in Zim.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJines,

That 500 NE sounds like an excellent rifle! wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Several tell me that Heym rifles tend to kick more than many other doubles in the same caliber.

Heard this also.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, when New Guy started importing the Heym double rifles he did change the stock and the barrel profile so they handled like a British gun...

I shot a 600 Nitro Heym a while back, and it was Painless. No bent or bloody fingers, no bruised face or shoulder...

It did have a fair amount of recoil, after all it was a 600 Nitro, but it was not painful.

PS. The right and left barrels touched... tu2

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I have long commented on the kicking Heym, a terror, especially from the bench. The new ones, I don't know.

The Heym and most others have/had a lot of buttstock drop like the old English shotguns they copied. While they are easier to line up the open sights on, they kick like hell. Only a straight(er) stock and weight are going to tame the recoil.

Pile on the weight and suddenly they are pussycats.

Given the choice I'd rather have the straight stock than a heavyweight to lug around.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 43 | Location: Germany | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have 3 modern Heyms. (Built within the last 5 years) and a 577 due to be delivered to me any day. Also have some Chapuis, Merkels etc. Do not find the Heym's to kick anymore than the others.....

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I had a 500 NE. It did in fact kick the hell out of me. I am told they old stock design was a problem. That has apparently been corrected.

I'm with Larry. My friend had a Heym .500 NE and I had several chances to shoot it. While I thought it was plenty heavy, it just kicked the hell out of me but then again, most .500s do. He sold it. I was happy he did. I bought a .470. Smiler

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Heym 470NE was made in the 80's and kicked the snot out of me. Stock design may be improved on newer ones but I think the main problem was weight - a tad under 10 lbs! A bit on the light side for a 470 (IMHO).

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
My 470 Heym is 9lb 15 oz....very managable to shoot....

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Will, interesting topic for a guy who seems to prefer "Bolt Trash". So is this just a little idle curiosity or are you considering a double before your date with Mr. Jumbo?

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I have a .470. A Krieghoff with a straight stock and a single trigger. God's gift to double rifles. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
I had a Heym in 500-3" and it was terrible to shoot. I have also owned a 500-3" in a Merkel and it was no worse than the Heym.

The Merkel is obviously built on a smaller action and was at least a pound lighter but I would have chosed that gun If I'd have had to shoot either that or the Heym!

the Merkel was also very accurate while the only way I could get the Heym to shoot was to actually work up a different load for each barrel! No Way to hunt!

Now I've also had 470's in a Rigby and Searcy and they were both very shootable, accurate and just plain pleasantto shoot.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Go Dawgs:
Well Will, interesting topic for a guy who seems to prefer "Bolt Trash". So is this just a little idle curiosity or are you considering a double before your date with Mr. Jumbo?

I leave four months from today. I will not change my safari battery (416 and 338) at this late date, but I do have a 40th birthday coming up in 2014. I'm thinking I might bite the bullet in celebration of that milestone. We'll see.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will:

Let me put it to you this way. I just doubled a 470 NE Merkel four times in row. The gun has a problem. The 4th double didn't hit me as hard as my Heym 500 NE did on any shot.

Posts: 11990 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm thinking I might bite the bullet in celebration of that milestone. We'll see.

WILL !!! Step away from the Cool Aid !!!!

Posts: 20087 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Will:

I just doubled a 470 NE Merkel four times in row.

Larry, you are a very slow learner. Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will, I took delivery of my 500 N.E. over two years ago. Due to an unfortunate head injury, I have had to wait until I have been somewhat cleared to fire it. My son Greyson and I just returned from Boar hunting in Texas, where I was able to squeeze off some rounds, what a pleasure to shoot. I fired my first two rounds at a running Boar, it was not a problem at all to recover from the first barrel get back on target and fire the second. And No I did not hit it at all, not the guns fault mine. The following morning, the next Boar was not so lucky. Off hand, running boar aprox 65 yards, again a pleasure to shoot.
I encouraged our host of the ranch to shoot a Boar with my rifle as well, he too made a running shot off hand and successfully took a nice Boar as well, he was amazed at how smooth it was. Don't get me wrong you certainly know that you are shooting a 500, but we were both very impressed with the very acceptable recoil.
I have fired Jonny Hulmes 500 Kreighoff a few times while in Zim and I definitely noticed considerably more recoil. Prior to taking delivery of my rifle, Ivan Carter was kind enough to let me borrow his Heym 450/400 on my most recent hunt with Jonny. Ivan's is a left handed stock and it is a much older Heym. It was a bit to get used to as Im right handed, recoil was not a problem, I realize it's not a 500, but it is still a big bore.
Now that I'm very satisfied with the recoil, I'm going to shoot some paper, of hand to see just how accurate it is. My rifle weighs in at 11 pounds. I'm convinced that the design of the Heym,weight,and the custom fitting of each rifle makes a defining difference in the recoil. In my limited experience I believe shooting off hand is the best way and only way to fire the big bore doubles and the only proper way to assess the guns recoil.
Please allow me to brag on my son. Greyson is 7 yrs old. While in TX we hunted three days. All spot and stalk, no feeders used, no blinds. He harvested his first hog with a 223, the next,stalked up to a bedded hog,shot and harvested it with a 22 handgun, a ram taken at 140 yds with the 223, an absolute giant boar with a 223,actually brained it. He then on the last day spot and stalked and successfully harvested two Boars aprox 70 to 80 lbs each with his RECURVE BOW.
Whats more important is that he is a great sportsman at his early age and a pleasure to hunt with. To say that I am proud is an understatement.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Greyson is a hunting fool! Congratulations to you and your boy.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Mike: Good to see you on here, and it was a pleasure talking with you a few days ago. So, are you going elephant hunting this year?

Also, good for Grayson. Being proficient at the age of seven years with rifle, pistol, and bow is impressive. Sounds to me like that boy has had some good instruction from a good daddy. He and his daddy need to go on a safari . . . this year.

Will J. Parks, III

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, just to refresh my memory, I shot a Heym 450/400 a couple of days ago.

It did not seem to kick harder than my British 450/400 to me, in fact I found it most pleasureable to shoot...

Very accurate too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Ponder:
Will, I took delivery of my 500 N.E. over two years ago. Due to an unfortunate head injury, I have had to wait until I have been somewhat cleared to fire it. My son Greyson and I just returned from Boar hunting in Texas, where I was able to squeeze off some rounds, what a pleasure to shoot. I fired my first two rounds at a running Boar, it was not a problem at all to recover from the first barrel get back on target and fire the second. And No I did not hit it at all, not the guns fault mine. The following morning, the next Boar was not so lucky. Off hand, running boar aprox 65 yards, again a pleasure to shoot.
I encouraged our host of the ranch to shoot a Boar with my rifle as well, he too made a running shot off hand and successfully took a nice Boar as well, he was amazed at how smooth it was. Don't get me wrong you certainly know that you are shooting a 500, but we were both very impressed with the very acceptable recoil.
I have fired Jonny Hulmes 500 Kreighoff a few times while in Zim and I definitely noticed considerably more recoil. Prior to taking delivery of my rifle, Ivan Carter was kind enough to let me borrow his Heym 450/400 on my most recent hunt with Jonny. Ivan's is a left handed stock and it is a much older Heym. It was a bit to get used to as Im right handed, recoil was not a problem, I realize it's not a 500, but it is still a big bore.
Now that I'm very satisfied with the recoil, I'm going to shoot some paper, of hand to see just how accurate it is. My rifle weighs in at 11 pounds. I'm convinced that the design of the Heym,weight,and the custom fitting of each rifle makes a defining difference in the recoil. In my limited experience I believe shooting off hand is the best way and only way to fire the big bore doubles and the only proper way to assess the guns recoil.
Please allow me to brag on my son. Greyson is 7 yrs old. While in TX we hunted three days. All spot and stalk, no feeders used, no blinds. He harvested his first hog with a 223, the next,stalked up to a bedded hog,shot and harvested it with a 22 handgun, a ram taken at 140 yds with the 223, an absolute giant boar with a 223,actually brained it. He then on the last day spot and stalked and successfully harvested two Boars aprox 70 to 80 lbs each with his RECURVE BOW.
Whats more important is that he is a great sportsman at his early age and a pleasure to hunt with. To say that I am proud is an understatement.

Mike, I do not think Ivan has a 450/400.
Did the double have an elephant "for" a thumb lever???
If so that was his 450 3 1/2".
He has that rifle for several years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Will,
I've never shot any doubles other than my heym .470 , but I can say without a doubt it kicks like a B$%tch. Felt recoil from it for me is much,much worse than my 458lott rsm with a full house load.
With the Lott a comfortable range session is anywhere from 10 to 20 shots over the sticks.
With the .470 2 to 4 shots and I'm done, headache, sore shoulder, no more fun.

Somehow it defies physics, 500 grains at 2050fps in the 470 kicks me twice as bad as 500 grains @ 2300 from the lott??

Posts: 171 | Location: ontario canada | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by notlim:

Somehow it defies physics, 500 grains at 2050fps in the 470 kicks me twice as bad as 500 grains @ 2300 from the lott??

I believe people underestimate the effects of stock design on felt recoil. One of the many great advantages of attending a DRSS event is being able to shoot a wide variety of doubles. It is amazing how different they feel while shooting. What one person likes, another will not.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
I've shot a number of RH DRs, and two stocked LH, in addition to my own Heym 470.

Without a doubt, my fitted Heym kicks the least of them all.

Smiler

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Several tell me that Heym rifles tend to kick more than many other doubles in the same caliber. Is this purely a function of weight, or is there something about the way Heym builds its rifles that contributes to the level of felt recoil?

I'd say its a function of somebody's imagination! That or they shot a Hyem that didn't fit, e.g. a buddy's gun and rationalized that all Hyem rifles kick.

Either I'm giving this the bsflag

JW

<generalwar>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
quote:

I'd say its a function of somebody's imagination! That or they shot a Hyem that didn't fit, e.g. a buddy's gun and rationalized that all Hyem rifles kick.

JW

I agree with Jeff. patriot

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by generalwar:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
quote:

JW

I agree with Jeff. patriot

With all due respect, it seems to me that about half of the Heym owners and shooters that posted here agreed that the Heym kicked them exponentially more than any other similar rifle of similar caliber they had the chance to shoot. So, if the claim is total BS as you two assert, it is well perpetuated BS as it is not an isolated sentiment.

I'd like to buy a double. I tend to think I'd like a Heym. A common critique of the Heym (at least in the circle of BS spreading sources upon which I rely) is the recoil issue. This thread sure didn't debunk the recoil issue, but it did identify a possible cause of the recoil (the stock design). This tells me I want a well fitted rifle of the new design.

Maybe the stock redesign fixed everything and the "kicked the living shit out of me" guys all have older, ill-fitting rifles. Maybe all of the "pleasure to shoot" crowd have new, well-fitted rifles. I don't know, but what I do know is that there is a identifiable group of Heym owners that complain about the Heym's recoil. This thread proved (reproved, actually), that sentiment. BS, however, it was not.

Will J. Parks, III

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
The Heym is a good quality double rifle,my 450/400 kicks substantially less than my 470,I am used to shooting my 470,I can shoot it well,I have hunted several times with it,I could probably add some more weight to the gun and it would see a reduction in recoil,but it would also make it more heavier to carry,it's a trade off,I am leaving it as it is,I had a Merkel in the same caliber prior to my owning the Heym,it kicked less but it weighed more by almost a pound,stock fit is definately a factor,I have always had to have a gunsmith make minor adjustments to the stock to fit me as best as possible.
The 470 is a big bore DG caliber,it gets the job done,has been doing it for a long time,I will say this,a rifle of this caliber definately gets your attention when you shoot a few down range,I never shoot mine off the bench,off hand or sticks only,the recoil is manageable,but I would never describe it as a"pleasure to shoot" Eeker

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Safari-Lawyer,
Travel to one of the many double rifle shoots that take place during the year and shoot as many brands as possible before you buy. You will be amazed at how different the various types of rifles will feel in your hands. The Heym may or may not fit you…hard to tell until you shoot them. Stock design has a major impact on felt recoil.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote