THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .500 NE vs .577NE vs. 600NE - terminal performance
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500 NE vs .577NE vs. 600NE - terminal performance
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Oh dear; not again; sigh coffee

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
surestrike, pay no attention to this dickweed piece of shit. He can't help himself. Wasn't given enough attention as a child. Place this total ass hole on your ignore list. It worked for me. Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
In this shot on a big Botswana border tusker, the 900 grain CEB #13 from my V-C 600NE traversed from the right occiput trough the thickest part of the skull to left temple - but missed the brain. As you can see, the elephant crumbled despite my missing the brain.

Might have had the same reaction to a smaller caliber ... but then again maybe not.

600NE on Elephant

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.Remember when you were seeing ghosts(in the airport) on your last trip to Zim. rotflmo Hallucinatios-imagine what you see in the bush!! Have you reported any UFO`s?

Looks like somebody needs their "meds" readjusted. I think it's high time that his case workers find out that he is playing with guns. I guess I better put the crazy little prick on ignore or I might just start having some "Hallucinatios"..

BTW Shitface have you put anymore thought into apologizing to the AR community for being a crazy out of control little asshole?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now back to reality. The one and only caliber I've killed stuff with in DR is a .470 NE. However having seen a couple of big critters killed with a .500. It is my belief that the .500 NE is the top of the good stuff and that it is also the pinnacle of the advantages of a big bore and bigger is the beginning of the slide into diminishing returns all factors taken into account.

Just my humble opinion of course as I haven't spent anytime behind larger than .500 caliber doubles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
In this shot on a big Botswana border tusker, the 900 grain CEB #13 from my V-C 600NE traversed from the right occiput trough the thickest part of the skull to left temple - but missed the brain. As you can see, the elephant crumbled despite my missing the brain.

Might have had the same reaction to a smaller caliber ... but then again maybe not.

600NE on Elephant

Wish that video clip was a bit longer to see the whole seen unfold, At any rate for sure it shows how your elephant crumbled at the shot. good stuff. tu2

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
Now back to reality. The one and only caliber I've killed stuff with in DR is a .470 NE. However having seen a couple of big critters killed with a .500. It is my belief that the .500 NE is the top of the good stuff and that it is also the pinnacle of the advantages of a big bore and bigger is the beginning of the slide into diminishing returns all factors taken into account.

Just my humble opinion of course as I haven't spent anytime behind larger than .500 caliber doubles.

BINGO!! Spot on again my friend. Must be some of that pilot shit, Mav!!

Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

My next double is going to be a .500.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd,

My next double is going to be a .500.

An excellent choice my friend.

The old saying is that the 500NE is what the smaller Nitro Express rounds hope to be once they grow up. A good saying for sure.

Because the 577 and 600 give similar performance on game as the 500, but the ammo and rifles are so much heavier, I like to add lately, that the 577NE and 600NE are Nitro Express rounds that not only grew up, but also developed a beer belly!! Cool

They are all very COOL however and wanting one is all the reason a man needs to own one. That and of course the $jack$ required to make it your own!

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

This was exactly the thought process I relied upon, after conducting vast research on the topic, when selecting the 500NE as my ideal caliber for Elephant hunting. I have since convinced at least two DR purchasers of the validity of my research. They both went with the 500NE after initially believing the 470NE should be their choice. No regrets in either case.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I still think you boys are off by .110" Wink
beer

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CCM,

You've got to be compensating for something, right? Wink

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
CCM,

Of course! My short stature.

Plus, unlike certain ginormous Texans, I don't whine about carrying an extra pound or two (excluding my belly, that is...).

hilbily

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
CCM,

Plus, unlike certain ginormous Texans, I don't whine about carrying an extra pound or two (excluding my belly, that is...).

hilbily

Ginormous Texans!! Ouch!! I'm wounded on that one. I'm going to go off and have a few sniffles until regaining my composure. CRYBABY

Smiler

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
quote:
CCM,

hilbily

Ginormous Texans!! Ouch!! I'm wounded on that one. I'm going to go off and have a few sniffles until regaining my composure. CRYBABY

Smiler

Ahh ...

Lets go have a beer and swap Africa safari stories instead ... beer

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Quote from Todd:

The old saying is that the 500NE is what the smaller Nitro Express rounds hope to be once they grow up. A good saying for sure.

Because the 577 and 600 give similar performance on game as the 500, but the ammo and rifles are so much heavier, I like to add lately, that the 577NE and 600NE are Nitro Express rounds that not only grew up, but also developed a beer belly!![/quote]

Gee, Todd, a beer belly. How about from a former weightlifter's point of view: ON STEROIDS!
Cheers, mate.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
CCM,

hilbily

Smiler

Ahh ...

Lets go have a beer and swap Africa safari stories instead ... beer

Any time my friend! wave

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Quote from Todd:

Because the 577 and 600 give similar performance on game as the 500, but the ammo and rifles are so much heavier, I like to add lately, that the 577NE and 600NE are Nitro Express rounds that not only grew up, but also developed a beer belly!!

Gee, Todd, a beer belly. How about from a former weightlifter's point of view: ON STEROIDS!
Cheers, mate.
Cal[/QUOTE]

Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
A pictorial example...

Both are super heavy weights.

The first weighing a bit more than the second.

Both are hard hitting.

One is carrying a "little" extra bulk and weight than is needed for the job.

The .600 NE of fighters...

The .500 NE of fighters....

Any questions? Wink

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
yuck

animal

But where does the 577NE fit in? Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think I recognize that guy from one of the Africa hunt reports, he was wearing a hat and a shirt and shorts but the physique looks strikingly familiar . . . stir

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
A pictorial example...

Both are hard hitting.

Any questions? Wink

Now THAT'S funny right there!!

animal

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
A pictorial example...

Both are hard hitting.

Any questions? Wink

Sure,

Why is a 500NE "needed" at all?

I mean, if the 577/600 only give 16%/29% increase in ME and 13%/18% increase in diameter over the 500NE, what makes the 12%/16% ME and 7%/10% diameter increase of the 500NE over 470NE/450NE so much better than the latter for dangerous game?

I think I'll have to agree with Michael458 that the ONLY caliber that should be used on dangerous game is the 375 Wink. Apparently, anything more is just carrying a bit of extra weight for no advantage.

Yep, the 375 is all we need! beer

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

A "scoped" 375! Because Harry Selby says so and all the PHs since said "Harumph, Harumph"!!

sofa

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A "scoped" 375! Because Harry Selby says so and all the PHs since said "Harumph, Harumph"!!

sofa

Todd,

I knew I could count on you to come around to the proper way of thinking! Ya gotta believe ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sure,

Why is a 500NE "needed" at all?

I mean, if the 577/600 only give 16%/29% increase in ME and 13%/18% increase in diameter over the 500NE, what makes the 12%/16% ME and 7%/10% diameter increase of the 500NE over 470NE/450NE so much better than the latter for dangerous game?

I think I'll have to agree with Michael458 that the ONLY caliber that should be used on dangerous game is the 375 Wink. Apparently, anything more is just carrying a bit of extra weight for no advantage.

CCMDoc.

All them there numbers just plum confused me... hilbily

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But where does the 577NE fit in?

Maybe right about here. Cool, strong, but just a little heavy and a bit eccentric maybe.. Cool

(I'm really reaching here guys cut me some slack..) Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the 577NE was more like George Foreman. No, not the lean and mean "revolutionary Uhuru" days,

but prior to the George Foreman Grill days of QVC.

You know, when he re-entered the ring after 20 or so years of rest ... back when he only had 4 sons named George, not 7!

Cool

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
lol

Great, my future 577NE will nicely match my belly puppy-fat!

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ou know, when he re-entered the ring after 20 or so years of rest ...

and could still belt the fck out of most people Big Grin

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree even when Foreman had gained a bit of weight and was fighting professionally at age 50 FIFTY!! He could still belt the living CRAP out of just about anybody..

Kind of like a .577 a bit chunky but you wouldn't want to get hit by it!

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:

Kind of like a .577 a bit chunky but you wouldn't want to get hit by it!

beer

One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
I thought that I should let you know I have just ordered the new Heym Jumbo Sidelock "Mark Sullivan" model in .577NE.

He's made some very interesting changes to the Jumbo, specifically an H&H style stock design, very shallow V rear sight, very positive safety with a 12 to 12 1/2 lbs finished weight, amongst other things. With a 12 month lead time and a great price (compared to WR) the package was too good to refuse.

I don't need it, and my .500 may get more use, but I want it and that's good enough for me beer

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus Brutus:

I don't need it ...

Yes you do Big Grin

Well done on choosing the 577NE! I also want a WR droplock, but may need to check out this Heym model!

beer

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
quote:

I don't need it ...

Yes you do Big Grin

beer

+1 tu2

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have just ordered the new Heym Jumbo Sidelock "Mark Sullivan" model in .577NE.

He's made some very interesting changes to the Jumbo, specifically an H&H style stock
design, very shallow V rear sight, very positive safety with a 12 to 12 1/2 lbs finished
weight, amongst other things. With a 12 month lead time and a great price (compared to
WR) the package was too good to refuse.

...I want it and that's good enough for me beer

dancing BRILLIANT DECISION !!!!! dancing BRILLIANT DECISION !!!!! dancing

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought that I should let you know I have just ordered the new Heym Jumbo Sidelock "Mark Sullivan" model in .577NE.

He's made some very interesting changes to the Jumbo, specifically an H&H style stock design, very shallow V rear sight, very positive safety with a 12 to 12 1/2 lbs finished weight, amongst other things. With a 12 month lead time and a great price (compared to WR) the package was too good to refuse.

I don't need it, and my .500 may get more use, but I want it and that's good enough for me beer

Max:

As we say in the USA, you da man! A H&H 500, a Heym .375 flanged, and now a Heym Jumbo .577 one of which you went to pick up in your Italian sports car, Ferreri or Lamborghini? Will you adopt me and take me to Africa with you?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes Sir, it is!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D R. Congratulations! What swayed you between a Heym vs V-C vs Merkel vs Searcy and what are you expecting it to cost? I m not sure if Docs V-C is still available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any of you guys that want a 500 or 577 I have my VCs for sale. I'll make you a good deal.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote