Find
Notify
Tools

Best load for Merkel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Anyone have any accurate loads for a 470 NE in a merkel useing a 500 gr swift?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using 500 gr Woodleigh soft and 500 swift, will probably hunt with woodleigh this August for buffalo.
I am using 108 gr H4831 SC with federal 215 primeres in bell brass from Buffalo arms.
Shoot good groups @ 50 yards, they get larger at 100 yards.
I hope you like your Merkes as much as I like mine. I put kickeze recoil pad and mercury dampener in stock. It makes the gun more comfortable to shoot.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I posted a picture of a target I shot today with my Heym in .470 NE with this same load -- 108 grains of H4831SC with a 500 grain Woodleigh. Shoots great. Pictures are under "Rock and Roll".

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel as well, never used the Swifts but have used the following

1) Norma brass, trimmed to 3.240"
2) Federal 215 Match Grade Primers
3) North Fork Cup Points, North Fork Flat Nose, Woodleigh Softs all 500 grain bullets.
4) H-4831sc, no fillers required.
4) All loads were crimped.

108 grains of H-4831sc is a good starting load. I worked up to 110 grains which gave the best accuracy and chronographed a nominal 2150fps at 80F+ temps.

This load seems to work well in most DRs tested so far...

Good luck....

Good luck

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another couple of loads:

105.0 grains IMR4831 F215 500 Woodleigh

87.0 grains Reloader 15 F215 500 Woodleigh

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you use a filler with the RX 15?

As my grandmother said, the only difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I use a Kynoch foam filler only with the Reloader 15 load.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
91 gr reloader 15

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never loaded with filler before, where can it be purchased and what is it?
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
gi,

Just go to Walmart or any fabric store and buy dacron filler, the material they use to stuff pillows. Then pull off a piece, roll it up and weigh it -- use 4 to 5 grains. Stuff it in the shell on top of the powder with a pencil or Philips head screwdriver.

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21391 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
gi – as you state you’ve never used fillers before, I would suggest you do some homework on the subject.

The object of the filler is to keep all of the powder situated at the bottom of the case by filling the air space left in the case between the powder column and bullet.

A primary concern with any filler is that by the ammo being bounced around in a hunting vehicle or from rough handling, etc… that somehow the powder is allowed to migrate around the filler and part of it end up between the bullet and the filler.

There are several opinions on the subject, but it has probably been best covered by Graeme Wright in his book “Shooting the British Double Rifle.†I would suggest you get a copy and understand the pros/cons well before taking loads with any type of filler half-way around the world on a hunting trip.

Just an FYI -

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
gi
As fillers are required for the 450 No2, no matter what powder is used I did a lot of research before developing loads for my double.

All cases of damage when using dacron or kapok fillers that I discovered involved a minimal amount of filler.

When loading the Nitro Expressed the filler must be compressed between the powder and bullet.
Dacron polyester [pillow stuffing] will work just fine. I used 5 grains with RL 15 and 15 [fifteen] grains with nitro for black loads using IMR 4198. The Dacron is expelled out the bbl, it is not burned or melted at all.

However I like using foam as a filler better. You do not have to weigh it. I just cut it out with a 50 BMG case that is sharpened with a chamfer tool. I hjave used 3 different types of foam, one very firm, one less firm, and one not very firm at all. The key once again is to be sure the foam is compressed between the bullet and the powder. Once again it is hard to use too much foam as long as you can seat the bullet.
I have shot all these different fillers side by side and can tell no difference in the performance, accuracy, regulation of the different loads.
As new_guy says be sure and get Grahame Wright's book "Shooting the British Double Rifle, second addition.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The use of filler helps keep the velocities very uniform as RL-15 is position sensitive.
Kept against the primer it is very consistant!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy the foam fillers, pre-cut, directly from Kynoch. They come in three sizes. You'll want size #2 (.400-.500"). They come in bags of 100, cost is about six bucks. Sometimes Galizans has them, but you have to search all over their web site because they list it under something weird like miscellaneous parts. These wads, which are nothing but inch long cylinders cut from gray acoustic foam, really simplify loading with RL 15. They are easy to make but it is even easier to buy a couple hundred and have them whenever you need them.

Geronimo

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i wish i could find these fillers

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used plain old toilet paper as a filler, it also is expelled out the barrel unburnt, I have read some untested filler have caused ribbons in the barrel so be sure you know what your using

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Raamw,<>< Always wanting to learn... What are ribbons? maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is not from experience, certain fillers used in stuffing for clothing pillows and so on which maybe labeled incorrectly as we all know manufacturers are capable of has been know to melt inside the barrel causing following rounds to run at higher pressure causing what is referred to as ribbons. it can be seen inside the barrel with the correct lighting, it is a damage to the barrel. After reading this I quit using those fibers that have been know to work since you cannot be totally convinced exactly what they are. Toilet paper was recommended on this site and as everyone knows toilet paper is toilet paper and you can never confuse it with some derivative of plastic. I have used toilet paper at first in my muzzle loaders and it worked fine. I now use it whenever a filler is needed, shotgun, rifle and pistol. You would think the TP would incinerate but it does not, when you fire your gun it vaporizes the paper and under the correct lighting it may appear as a very light smoke. Here is another discussion they call it ringing, same idea
https://www.thefiringline.com/...wthread.php?p=496460

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
raamw... Thank you for the lesson.. Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote