THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New double rifles For the "Modern" Man
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New double rifles For the "Modern" Man
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now there are 2 New Made Doubles avialable in 450/400 3"
Butch Searcy's new Classic is his finest Double yet IMHO. Anyone thinking about a Searcy should give it and the 450/400 a hard look.
The color case hardening looks very good.

However there is another new 450/400 3" avialable.
Evolution USA of Whit Bird Idaho is having the Chapuis custom shop make their double rifle in 450/400 3". The rifle is made on the Chapuis "375H&H frame, so it is much slinner than the Chgapuis 470. It is one slick little rifle The one at the shpow was scoped and it was neat. It comes with 24" bbls.
Price in 10K and dilivery is about 6 months.

Gentlemen I consider this Great News. Now there are TWO NEW double rifles being made in 400 Jeffery. Both of these rifles are smaller, slimmer than the 470 sized guns, with less recoil and great performance and utility, not only for buff and elephant but for other big game as well.
I think other companies will follow suit.
After all the more companies that make slim and trim 450/400's the better chance of you finding the rifle that fits you the best.

I recommend that if you are in the market for a new made double rifle check out these 2 choices.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I took a look at Evolution's website, they seem to have attractive prices for their doubles. Has anyone here had any experience with their product? It appears that they are making some themselves?

Posts: 42 | Location: columbia, sc | Registered: 20 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ones they show on the website are Chapuis Rifles.
I have a 9,3x74R Chapuis and like it very much.
I really liked thier 450/400 3".

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I also looked at the Chapuis. Just for me I like 26" barrels and that makes the Searcy the only choice for a NIB 450/400 3 inch.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 26" bbls better myself... But the Chapuis 400 is the slimmest, sleekest 400 I have ever handled. It felt OK even with 24 inch tubes.
But on a British gun or a Searcy I would go with 26" for sure.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I also looked at the Chapuis. Just for me I like 26" barrels and that makes the Searcy the only choice for a NIB 450/400 3 inch.

Rusty these rifles are delivered to Evolution in the white, and not regulated or stocked. The final fitting, stocking,regulateing, and finishing is done by Evolution, in White Bird, Idaho.

They are chambered for 375 H&H, 416 Rigby,and 450/400NE 3". for $10K delivered, for the one they had on display, fitted with scope rings, and bases. I handeled the one at their booth,with Tony and the workmanship is flawless! There are three grades!

Their Phone number is:
208-983-9208, their FAX no is 208-983-0944 Their web-site is: www.evo-rifles.com

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
MAN! TALK ABOUT A BLAST FROM THE PAST!
JAN 1ST 2006 ?????????????????????????????????? Confused

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Got me excited that something new was on the horizon Cool - until I saw the date on the original post Roll Eyes

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It makes me wonder how many they've built in the last 5 years! It's not a common brand that is seen.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch is still delivering magnificent doubles

tu2

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Evolution has a website and claims to be still making double rifles.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldsarge:
Evolution has a website and claims to be still making double rifles.

Sarge I talked to the guy at the Evolutions booth atthe Dallas Safari Club show this year, and they had one of their rifles to handle. It came up nicely, and fit me well. I'd say their work is top of the line, at least in handleing, and fit and finsh. I have zero info on how they shoot however! A damn nice rifle in the $10K price range if in fact they do shoot well!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've lingered at their booth for the last 3 years at the Reno SCI show. This year they had their Zimbabwe PH double in 450/400 for $7.7K if I recall correctly. I liked it and have not yet ruled it, or their others, out for my first double rifle purchase (but Searcys field grade and the V-C are the top contenders for me at the moment). I'd include photo here if I could figure out how to do it (or if one of you could tell me how to).

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have one of their rifles in 9.3X74R. It's a nice rifle. If I were going to buy a NIB 450/400 3 inch. It would be a Searcy, Heym, or V-C.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have one of their rifles in 9.3X74R. It's a nice rifle. If I were going to buy a NIB 450/400 3 inch. It would be a Searcy, Heym, or V-C.

Rusty, not exactly an enthusiastic endorsement! Care to expand?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rusty

I notice that you don't have Merkel in the list.

Any particular reason ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:

I really like Butch's new PH color cased/gold name gun--for the money. Nice looking!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:

Rusty

I notice that you don't have Merkel in the list.

Any particular reason ?

....................... jumping

500N, Rusty got a bad taste in his mouth for Merkel when he fired an early Merkel 140-2 chambered for 500NE and got a real kick out of the experience!(Punn intended). The only Merkels that are in the 450/400NE range of recoil are the newer ones that are now Mono-Block rifles chambered for the 450/400NE. The older shoelump Merkels in the safari class are only chambered for two proper NE rounds, the 470NE and 500NE, neither of which Rusty cares forthe recoil of! Besides he like 26" barrels, and Merkel doesn't make them in any chambering.
................................ Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mac,
If we both go to hording Merkels the market for the rifles will go out of sight!

To tell ya the truth there is nothing wrong with Merkels. I just haven't handled that many of them.

Peter I think the rifle is too light. My 9.3 is a hard kicking little darling. I'd hate to think what it would do in 450/400.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of time has gone buy since I made that first post.

In todays world the best new made 450/400, IMHO is the Heym. Scoped of course. tu2 Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Played with the PH rifle from Evolution a bit. edd Worslum has been bringing the original one (in .400 Tembo) to Zim for the last 5 years at least.

It is backed by a lifetime waranty and for US customers who can easily return it if there should be a problem...it is a nice handling rifle at a good price.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote