Tools

Problems with New VC 500NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
"... whether or not you take your big bore double to the range with reduced loads to impress the "Tacticool" crowd as "the guy down there shooting the elephant gun..."

"...The best, mind you the BEST, any of us could manage was 3.5 inches at 25 yards with the average being more around the 4 to 4.5" range. Acceptable? Maybe marginally but when we moved out to 50 yards, the spread doubled with the BEST being around 6 inches but more often 8"..."

"... when paying the type of money one of these rifles commands..."

Hello Tod Williams,

Thanks for your reply.

Contrary to your insinuation, I belong to a private club. We don't have a Tacticool croud. I consider my self a "learning shooter" - I don't impress anyone.

I would have a couple of questions about your experience: What did your groups measure "after" JJ re-regulated your rifle? At what range did you shoot your elephant(s) and/or your buffalo?

And you don't have to tell me about "the type of money one of these rifles commands" - I know that first hand. . . . http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/2031018312

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2207 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
"... whether or not you take your big bore double to the range with reduced loads to impress the "Tacticool" crowd as "the guy down there shooting the elephant gun..."

"...The best, mind you the BEST, any of us could manage was 3.5 inches at 25 yards with the average being more around the 4 to 4.5" range. Acceptable? Maybe marginally but when we moved out to 50 yards, the spread doubled with the BEST being around 6 inches but more often 8"..."

"... when paying the type of money one of these rifles commands..."

Hello Tod Williams,

Thanks for your reply.

Contrary to your insinuation, I belong to a private club. We don't have a Tacticool croud. I consider my self a "learning shooter" - I don't impress anyone.

I would have a couple of questions about your experience: What did your groups measure "after" JJ re-regulated your rifle? At what range did you shoot your elephant(s) and/or your buffalo?

And you don't have to tell me about "the type of money one of these rifles commands" - I know that first hand. . . . http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/2031018312

Well, considering what you were "insinuating" regarding a couple of posters here who've experienced a bit of difficulty with their new rifles, I felt an answer was deserved. After JJ re-regulated the rifle, it consistently shoots about a 1" spread if I do my part. The first time I shot it after getting it back from JJ, I took it to the range with Mike Jines. If I remember correctly, his first two shots with it just touched each other ... at 50 yards. I believe my first two shots at 50 were about an inch apart or so. I remember Mike saying "I think your gun is fixed now"!

Before:

Factory Ammo, 3.5" average at 25 yards. About the best it ever got. Most were a bit further. As stated, the spread doubled at 50 yards. A clear indication something wasn't right. It's tough to get a DR to shoot parallel at multiple ranges, but when the spread or cross distance doubles as range doubles, there's an issue. The rifle was very consistent. Regardless of what load I put through it, it consistently shot about 4" or so at 25 and 7" or so at 50. It wasn't finicky. It shot all loads pretty close to that.

After re-regulation: The rifle shoots pretty close to parallel now and isn't finicky about what loads it will do it with.

L&R

2Ls and 2Rs

Regarding ranges on ele and buff taken with doubles, I've shot elephant ranging from 6 yards to close to 50. Got videos of most of those here on AR if you care to search. Buffalo, initial shots? Probably the closest at 40 yards or so, that being the one in the video I posted a couple of years back taken with my VC 577NE. Taken a few follow up shots well over that as buff seldom drop in their tracks, unless you hit the CNS, and tend to run a bit. You never know what type of shot you're going to be presented with, especially follow up shots. I took my 2012 lion in the Zambezi Valley with a double at about 50 yards on the first shot with a follow up shot as it rolled down hill at about 70 yards. I've taken plains game with a double at over 250 yards. Point being that a properly regulated double rifle, with ammo that is properly matched to that regulation, should be capable of shooting to whatever range is necessary on game. And I damn sure wouldn't want to be sitting in a lion blind over bait, with nightfall nearing, knowing that my rife might be off somewhere between a couple of inches to 10 or more, depending on how far the initial shot offering is (although the lion was taken with a different rifle).

Paper is a much more forgiving target if the shot goes wide. Whistling

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Todd

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments on actually hunting with a double and expecting the best from the gun but what the hell was done the second time round (by JJ) that Ken and VC didn't do the first time?

You double guys bend over backwards to praise the makers and tell us what good guys they are;

"That's exactly what Ken and VC did. They stood by their product and made it 100% correct".

but why did they not do the job properly in the first place, and on a gun specifically made for a customer, not a massed produced as you do point out.

I think my level of frustration would be too high to ever own a double when reading the stories on here Frowner

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the final analysis, the gun that was the original subject of this thread was inspected by JJ Perodeau BEFORE Jeff ever took possession of the gun. JJ was the one who determined that the gun was not properly regulated. Jeff did not complain of it as he had no reason to so as he had never even seen the rifle. According to JJ, the gun crossed over several inches at 50 yards.

Please contact JJ and tell him he needs to practice. That ought to go over well.

What has not been disclosed here is that Jeff bought a Merkel as a backup in case the VC did not make it before our hunt. I personally witnessed him practicing with this at one of our deer leases. He shot that gun just fine. Not a problem.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Tod Williams,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I'll have to admit your rifle did have a problem that wasn't related to operator error. I'm glad you were able to have it corrected.

Since I hadn't yet fired my 600 NE with factory loads, I went to the range this morning to find out what it would do.

Holy Crap! ! ! That was memorable! ! !

I'm sure glad I didn't impress the "Tacticool" crowd as "the guy down there putting back-in his dentures after shooting the elephant gun..."

My VC has barrels 7/8" apart at the muzzle. Looks like there is some convergence at 25 yards but I'm pretty satisfied with the results. My reduced handload results at this range were similar. (I think the make-shift 25 yard setup accounted for the slight left shift)

Posts: 2207 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Hello All,

I just purchased my first Verney Carron Double rifle, a 600 NE. I've only been a VC owner for about a month.

I've resisted jumping in on this discussion, hoping that someone else might clear the air about double rifles and their regulation. No one has, so I'm going to chime in. I'll start with some background info about myself. I state these things not to brag, but to tell you that I'm not some kind of "Forum-Expert" that likes to throw around his opinions, without any actual shooting experience. God knows we have enough of them.

I'll start by saying I've never hunted dangerous game, I've only hunted in the U.S. and Canada. I'm a late bloomer when it comes to double rifles, buying my first Double less than 8 years ago. I've only owned 17 Double Rifles total, and still own 12 of them, having sold 5 over the years. The calibers of my Doubles cover a wide range from .30 cal to .80 cal. They are; 300 Savage - 8mm lebel - 8x57R - 35 Win - 9.3x74R (3) - 375x2-1/2 - 45-70 (2) - 500 bpe - 577-500 bpe (2) - 20-577 NE - 600 Express - 600 Nitro Express - 10 Bore.

I've fired over 1,700 rounds in my double rifles since I've owned them ( 90% of the shooting was over a chronograph ) and I have carefully documented the data for each rifle. This is a habit I developed from being a Reasearh & Developement Engineer trained in accurately recording data in Lab notebooks. I've even sent ammo to have it pressure tested, to keep my handloading within safe pressure limits. I shoot about 6,000 rounds a year, in competition and practice, with various rifles - mostly in vintage single-shot Schuetzen rifles. I'm also a self-trained gunsmith of over 40 years experience with my works being published in Gun Digest, Handloaders Digest, Guns Illustrated, Cartridges of the World, Handgunners Digest, an other shooting publications.

As far as my 17 double rifles go, I've only had the need to re-regulate "one" of them, that being an 1890's Lefaucheux in 8mm Lebel cal. It was shooting 16" crossed at 50 yards. It was sent to JJ and he did a marvelous job of re-regulating it with no sign that the 1890's patina had been altered. Of my other Double Rifles, my Dan'l Fraser 9.3x74R was the next to be troublesome. It was shooting 6" - 8" apart vertical at 50 yds. Although many told me to just send it to JJ, I used the opportunity to learn from this rifle. I learned that different powders, primers, bullets, seating depth, different fillers, and ambient temperature, all impacted the regulation - "even at the same measured velocity". It took over 4 dozen experiments to learn this, and now the rifle shoots point of aim at 50 yds into a 1-1/2" group. With iron sites, my satisfaction level is actually 2" because that's about as good as I can hold with my 64 year old eyes.

Now, here's my point. After all this experimentation, I had my friend shoot this rifle, and he could't achieve the same results I did. He was a good shooter and was experienced with shooting double rifles, but for him, it shot "high" and into 2 distinct groups of 1" each, right and left, about 4" apart. When he handed the rifle back to me, it again shot a 1-1/2" cluster. Yes, each session was about 20 minutes apart with adequate cooling time between 4 shot strings, and all shooting was done standing - with padded arm rests.

The reason for this variation is simple, "he" was not "me". He weighed different, he was a different height, he had a different muscular build, he had a different grip on the rifle, etc., etc., etc. Just to prove my point, next time at the range, try shooting your double rifle with a "loose" grip, and then shoot it with a "tight" grip, and see how it regulates.

I find it a little unsettling that one can be so critical about a Company's regulation of a brand new double rifle. Regulation that is done half way around the World, with who knows what ammo, by who knows what man, of who knows what physical features, at who knows what air density and temperature - all factors determinate in the regulation process. Yes, some say that given a bullet weight at a given velocity, regulation should be the same - not necessarily. I have documented identical velocities and identical bullet weights, shooting 6" different heights with a 0.50" change in bullet seating depth, and similarly with bullets of different shape.

It would be interesting to have VC's regulator, come here with "his" ammo, and have "him" shoot the rifle, to see how it regulates. I find it absolutely amazing that VC stands behind their product to the extent that they would pick-up the tab for re-regulation. Bully for them! That fact alone will make me a loyal VC customer.

Obviously this is a shot taken at me. First I have and do hunt a lot of dangerous game. So a rifle that crosses 3 inches at 50 yards is of no use to me for brain shooting an elephant in the jess.

I am glad you are so pleased with your VC. I am not. I wisely had it delivered to gunsmith JJ Peredeau rather than taking delivery of it. It was JJ who determined that it was crossing with Hornady DGX loads which were the same loads it was regulated with. JJ reregulated the gun for VC. Unfortunately for me the front sight fell off in transit to Zim and we had to make a little bush medicine to rig a sight. So back to JJ it is going. So I can forward you JJ's contact information if you care to critique his shooting. I don't care for your insinuations or your attitude.

Best,

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Obviously this is a shot taken at me. First I have and do hunt a lot of dangerous game. So a rifle that crosses 3 inches at 50 yards is of no use to me for brain shooting an elephant in the jess.

I am glad you are so pleased with your VC. I am not. I wisely had it delivered to gunsmith JJ Peredeau rather than taking delivery of it. It was JJ who determined that it was crossing with Hornady DGX loads which were the same loads it was regulated with. JJ reregulated the gun for VC. Unfortunately for me the front sight fell off in transit to Zim and we had to make a little bush medicine to rig a sight. So back to JJ it is going. So I can forward you JJ's contact information if you care to critique his shooting. I don't care for your insinuations or your attitude.

Best,

Jeff

Hello Bwana Bunduki,

My comments were not directed at you. I'm sorry you took offense. My comments were "my" opinion based on "my" experiences with double rifles.

And YES, I'm very happy with my VC.

And I do have JJ's number from having him re-regulate one of my doubles - that was shooting 16" crossed at 50 yds.

Best,

Buck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My comments were not directed at you.

Buck

Yes they were.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to rifles shooting accurately the saying "It's not over till it's over" comes to mind. Let me remind you of what I said before and that is that one cannot be expert at everything.
It is possible and very likely that the rifle in question was regulated properly at VC but when it left the regulating room conditions changed.I will not say exactly what I believed happen because I do not want to field stupid remarks.I think JJ received a perfect rifle but did not test it in the same conditions that were used to regulate it.
I think JJ in a sense just took it apart put it back just as it was but then shot it under the conditions it was first regulated under and got the real results.Those whose rifles have alway shot well from the start,have always shot it under those conditions-mostly without knowing so,IMO.
Double rifles are not like bolt action rifles.They are trickier.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Children, do I need to take my belt off?!?

posted Hide Post
I can think of at least two people who I will never take seriously as long as I live.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] ...is that one cannot be expert at everything.

...I do not want to field stupid remarks.

I can't believe I'm reading this after the last few years of Shootaway's posts on double rifles and shooting in general. WOW!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
[QUOTE] ...is that one cannot be expert at everything.

...I do not want to field stupid remarks.

I can't believe I'm reading this after the last few years of Shootaway's posts on double rifles and shooting in general. WOW!
Cal

I was going to comment. But I knew you would. Glad that I have always lucked out shooting all my doubles in the "Right Condition".

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
When it comes to rifles shooting accurately the saying "It's not over till it's over" comes to mind. Let me remind you of what I said before and that is that one cannot be expert at everything.
It is possible and very likely that the rifle in question was regulated properly at VC but when it left the regulating room conditions changed.I will not say exactly what I believed happen because I do not want to field stupid remarks.I think JJ received a perfect rifle but did not test it in the same conditions that were used to regulate it.
I think JJ in a sense just took it apart put it back just as it was but then shot it under the conditions it was first regulated under and got the real results.Those whose rifles have alway shot well from the start,have always shot it under those conditions-mostly without knowing so,IMO.

Maybe you could liaise and consult with JJ on doubles from time to time . . . he could undoubtedly learn a thing or two about doubles from you. I suspect he did not even realize they were trickier than bolt action rifles. Great point. tu2

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Maybe you could liaise and consult with JJ on doubles from time to time . . . he could undoubtedly learn a thing or two about doubles from you. I suspect he did not even realize they were trickier than bolt action rifles. Great point. tu2

I was just going to let it slide Mike. But then there is that whole Searcy thing.

Explain what happened Shootaway.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
quote:
quote:

I was just going to let it slide Mike. But then there is that whole Searcy thing.

Jeff

Are you talking about "The Greatest Double Rifle in the World?"

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You think they are trickier because you can't pull each trigger at a time? Or is it because they have two barrels? rotflmo

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You think they are trickier because you can't pull each trigger at a time? Or is it because they have two barrels? rotflmo

Because they are harder to put back together with a Leatherman once some idiot takes one apart.

faint

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

So Bwana did you get your ele in Dande? I thought I was the only unlucky one. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

So Bwana did you get your ele in Dande? I thought I was the only unlucky one. rotflmo

Two piped a bull and a tuskless proper in the jess.

Thanks for asking

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So Bwana did you get your ele in Dande? I thought I was the only unlucky one . rotflmo

Thanks for asking

Jeff

Oh Hell But That WAS Funny!

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

Thanks for asking

Jeff

We did just fine on the jumbo.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because they are harder to put back together with a Leatherman once some idiot takes one apart.

faint

rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

Thanks for asking

Jeff

I will believe it when I see a picture or a video.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always taught you people about rifles and shooting.I showed you which is the best double too.
People are starting to see things my way more and more but they refuse to give me credit or aknowledge where it all came from.I don't care about that and know that is just jealousy.I remember all the stupid things everyone on here believed a few years ago on shooting and cleaning their rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

Thanks for asking

Jeff

It is true George. I was there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

Thanks for asking

Jeff

I will send you an autographed copy of the video when T-Snake finishes it. You and Richie can discuss it it November. Do you want it signed "To my friend George"; or "To my friend Shootaway"?
Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have always taught you people about rifles and shooting.I showed you which is the best double too.
People are starting to see things my way more and more but they refuse to give me credit or aknowledge where it all came from.I don't care about that and know that is just jealousy.I remember all the stupid things everyone on here believed a few years ago on shooting and cleaning their rifles.

Shotmywad, do they not prescribe Lithium or Clonazepam in Canada?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

Thanks for asking

Jeff

I will send you an autographed copy of the video when T-Snake finishes it. You and Richie can discuss it it November. Do you want it signed "To my friend George"; or "To my friend Shootaway"?
Jeff

If you were actually hunting with Richard and not staying in the truck while others searched I would like to see it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

Thanks for asking

Jeff

Jeff

If you were actually hunting with Richard and not staying in the truck while others searched I would like to see it.

Give me your address.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jeff

Thanks for asking

Jeff

Jeff

Give me your address.

I will send you it by PM.
Justin did a great job on editing my video.
I think that him being there on the hunt made for great editing.It was the only time I watched my WHOLE video and did not get bored.