THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    T. S. A. 50 CAL OR LARGER RESTRICTION
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T. S. A. 50 CAL OR LARGER RESTRICTION
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fivebigbores
posted
i

Posts: 330 | Location: Lone Pine California USA | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the first I've heard of it.

Sounds like a major pain in the ass and will make it pretty difficult to travel with my old 16bore double rifles to hunt with friends around the states.
(on second thought, all my bore rifles are antiques, so this might not apply...)
I need to look into this.

A possible alternative way to get the guns around would be to have them shipped in advance.
I typically feel pretty uncomfortable shipping valuable rifles anyway, but if there is simply *no way* to get large big bore rifles around on the airlines, next day air with a shipper is a good alternative, still a major PITA.

--Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Can you post a link to where we can read the actual announcement?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
This was covered a few weeks back in detail.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=913105668#913105668

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
This sounds something like the guy that regretted telling his neighbors that be found gold nuggets in his back yard.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See New Guys posts for this about Title 1 Firearms

A note of what has been working up to 5 days ago.I have a customs "FORM 4457 Certificate for personal effects taken on abroad" I have begun at this point always writing the word "Sporting" before caliber. And have always done all scopes and binos as well and have begun doing it for the ammo as well. I have once had Customs question me about some WR ammo in German boxes and a range finding scope returning to the US. When I go to TSA I pull this form out as I open the case and all the guns have "EMPTY" tags on them. Even if it is Domestic they are not connected it shows that another goverment Entity see the item as sporting.

They seem to appeciate the business as usual approach and always hand me back the form and proceeding.

The Customs form is needed to return with pistols because of the Brady Law and to verify that it is not restricted, or purchased abroad.They are used in Africa as what is consider the "American Gun Permit" and will not let them through. It also show that the Customs officer that it is "Sporting" when they confirms the weapon or ammo was presented.

They have not inquired about caliber ever except in curiosity and then I alway say about a 410 or 28 guage. The ammo in my luggage was refered to as ammo that goes with the guns in the case and that the guns are unloaded in the rifle case as they direct me to TSA.

The NRA and SCI will get it straight finally and I can say if it is like NFA weapons and the ATF it sometimes hurts if to many monkeys are rattling cages if they already talking with the PAC & Lobby groups.

Cheers Big Ears Cymru Forever

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup good point

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It's larger than .50 that's the problem and the problem affects rifles as well as ammo.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13472 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote