New
Find
Notify
Tools

It worked
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You may remember that I was having some trouble hanging on to my 470. I did some work to make the rifle fit me and reshaped the stock
to reduce felt recoil. It all helped but the rifle still sled in my hand and it hammered the middle finger. I went to get checked out, I had loss 80% of the nerve function in my right hand and 60% in the left. I had both wrist operated on in April. I have had 4 shots of steroids,one in each finger for tendinitis in the last month. I shot the 470 today wt full-power loads.

I am having no more pain, no more banging of the middle finger. Its a pussycat now instead of a tiger.

I am not 100%, but I can at least I can shoot again. If you are having any numbness or your hands wake you up at night don't wait go see about it. I may never get it all back due to waiting to long.

JD

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear you are back on the mend and getting back in the saddle. Amazing how seemingly minor annoyances can turn into such big problems.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that JD

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Great news! Glad to see you are better.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope for a complete restoration of normal ability for you.

It's good to hear of your improvement so far. Smiler

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
JD, those 450/400 are really something to shoot and I know what you mean by getting the fingers nicked, they can really smart..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the well wishes. Mike it just should not hurt to fire a large bore off hand. I found out LOP and the shape of the stock will make a big difference even with bad hands. I thought the 470 was my upper limit and did not see the light undil my 16 ga double started bitting my middle finger. I shot Rich's 550 mag and found it more comfortable to shoot than the 470. I went to work on the stock and found a marked difference in how it felt, but it still sled in my hand. Try adding a 1/2" of LOP to your 450-400 and see if it helps. Tape it on first then then add a real spacer or thicker pad if you find it helps.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro