THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What rimmed caliber in light double rifle for North American big game?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What rimmed caliber in light double rifle for North American big game?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Thanks, dpcd. So, wouldn't it make sense to make a .375 Winchester single or double with a "long" chamber for 2.125" case length that could not only shoot the .375 Winchester but could also handle every .38-55 cartridge? Why hasn't someone done this? Am I missing something here?

I wonder how the .375 Win would do with something like these:

Hornady 225gr
Nosler 260gr Spitzer AccuBond
Sierra 250gr SBT
or
Barnes 235gr Triple Shok

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Grenadier, you are trying to use logic with folks that have fairly narrow concepts about such things. My .38-55 is a Winchester Model 94, not a Marlin. My rifle does best with the Barnes .377 originals. What you are suggesting on chamber length seems to work just fine for .458 Win. Mag. and .458 Lott.

Since both the .38-55 and .375 Winchester are rimmed cases, I do not see where chamber length really matters, unless a person is trying to shoot a .375 Win. round in a rifle chambered for the .38-55

Unless someone can prove me totally wrong, a .45/70 can be shot in a .45/90, .45/110 or .45-120 chambered rifle.

JMO, but I think a rifle built to shoot either .375 Win. or .38-55 would be an excellent gun.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes it could be done; use the long chamber for everything, BUT, most people don't want their bullets to jump over the gap before hitting the rifling for best accuracy. And the increased case capacity is not needed with smokeless powder. The only guys using the long brass these days are black powder shooters who want the most case capacity possible. Also, yes, you can shoot those 45 cals in the long chambers; again, the bullets are unsupported for varying distances. And, the 45-90 was made for 300 grain bullets and a 36 inch twist, so shooting a 45-70-405 or 500 out of it won't stabilize the bullets. But it can safely be done, certainly. For 50 yard hunting they should provide good enough accuracy, I have not tried it. On your bullet question, some of those are made for higher velocity 375s so they won't open up very well. We had the same problem trying to shoot 350 grain Barnes out of lower pressure level 45-70; the petals barely would open. You have to ask the manufacurer of the optimum velocity levels they like, or test them yourself.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
On your bullet question, some of those are made for higher velocity 375s so they won't open up very well.

About the 225gr Hornady, they say, "Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000 to 3300 fps". The .375 Winchester can do 2000fps+ with this bullet.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use lots of Hornady 220s which are made for lower impact velocities; less than 2000 fps. I also use the 225s in my 38-56, and 375 JDJ but never on any game so I don't know how they will open up at those velocities. I actually didn't know the 225s were for over 2000 fps until you pointed it out to me. If your impact velocities are below Hornady's recommendations, the 225s might not open up very fast; testing is in order. Even at 50 yards you are below the recommended velocity so they might not expand much.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I found this; this indicates that the 225 Hornadys are tough bullets. Good for penetration at less than 2000 fps impact vel, but maybe not for energy transfer. 220s might be better.
"The .375" 225 grain Hornady Spire Point is said by Hornady's Lonnie Hummel to have the same jacket thickness from the shank through the ogive to the tip as the 270 grain."

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed a few deer with the Hornady 220FP out of a 375 H&H, with a muzzle velocity of @2500fps. the killed real well. The only bullet I have recovered was from a doe I shot facing me at 175 yards. I found the bullet in the right ham, while butchering the deer at home.

I have also used the 235 Speer bullet at @2500fps and it also kills deer like the Hammer of Thor.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes it could be done; use the long chamber for everything, BUT, most people don't want their bullets to jump over the gap before hitting the rifling for best accuracy.

What about Weatherby's? According to the Barnes #3 loading manual case length of the .38-55 is 2.085 while that of the .375 Win. is 2.020. Suggested trim length is 2.075 on the .38.55 and 2.010. That is only .065 difference. By the time you get a bullet seated in the case the difference is not all that great.

Add to that, the listed Max loads for both rounds according to the #3 manual using IMR 3031 powder and 255 grain Barnes Originals, have the .375 Win. with a listed FPS. of 1903 and the .38-55 at 1623 FPS. Approx. 280 FPS. difference.

To me, I just don't see the .375 Win. as being all that much better of a round than the .38-55, again that is just my opinion.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier

I guess I am not much help here, but after I handled the Heym 26B in 45/70, I just have to mention it.

It is light and very well handling, and its scope mount system goes back to proper zero after being put on and off.

My 26B in 30/30 has become one of my most favorite hunting rifles for deer and pigs. I would use it for black bear over bait, but truth is I would want a little more power for most elk, unless I was hunting them up close in heavy cover.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I agree; there was no need for the 375 winchester but there is no need for a lot of the cartridges put out these days. Short mags for ex. What about Weatherbys? In these cases, I mean situations, the bullet is supported by a bullet size bore (freebore) that it goes through before hitting rifling. In the other examples, the 458 win and lott examples, the bullet is floating through air (the chamber) unsupported at all. In the 38-55 example, you are right, not much difference. But,, shooting short rounds in long chambers will reduce pressure and velocity so might affect regulation in a DR.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To me, I just don't see the .375 Win. as being all that much better of a round than the .38-55, again that is just my opinion.

The 38-55 started life as a Ballard single shot round and it is a bit on the long side for a M94 so they morphed up the .375 Win. The .375 Win has 12" twist rifling for heavy jacketed bullets. In the modern single shot scheme of things a .38-55 with a .375 groove diameter is the best compromise.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Bailey Bradshaw and I are going to have a droplock 28ga sxs at the DSC show that will finish out at 6lbs. It would be pretty easy to make a lightweight double rifle out of it. A .405 size case diameter would fit on the action. Should be pretty strong with the double purdey underbites and WR style top fastener. With extractors(weighs less than ejectors), shorts barrels, and weight conscious stock hardware we could easily get it under 7lbs.

Our falling block double would be close, but I'm sure it could be done.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
303 Brit.
Been killing game in Africa for over 100 years.
And still going strong.
Most of the farmers in SA have either a Mauser or Enfield that has been sportered.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Read thru all 3 pages,there is a catridge that will meet all that you want.

7.62x54R(7.62 Russian)
Good power plus long range, rimmed,Norma loads ammo,probably never will go obsolete(Soviet Union still uses it),and with all those Moisin rifles around,you can find ammo in a lot of places.

ironfist

Posts: 13 | Location: The Big Island of Hawaii | Registered: 12 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And banned in every country that does not allow military calibers for hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier, sorry, but your your choice of calibers is awful in my opinion. Take that Paradox you have and blast away with the same effectiveness as the calibers you listed!
To me, only two calibers to choose from, 9.3 and 375 flanged magnum. If the donor gun is English, 375 period.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger No 3 in .375. I shoot 235 Speers semi spitzers that I had when I deer hunted with a 375 H&H. I can load them to an OAL of 2.8 inches and be well back from the rifling. I load them pretty hot and they did very well on the few deer I've shot with the gun. My rifle weighs 7 pounds with No 1 wood. I don't think I'd want it much lighter as it raps me pretty sharply. A 7 lb DR in a long-chambered 375 Win setup would be nice but you'd be limited to handloading for better performance. My favorite light DR caliber is still 8X57JR.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote