THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Aimpoint Micro H-1 vs. Docter Optic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint Micro H-1 vs. Docter Optic
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Anyone that would put a scope or red dot thingie on his double rifle should be stringhaultered and gilflurted..That's just wrong, goes against all thats holy, a pox on all of you sissies! sofa

Ray just loves to....
stir jumping
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Aimpoint Micro H-1 on a .22RF......it works great for charging armadillos in the backyard at night.

You are welocme to borrow it for a test drive.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Got the Heym back from JJ yesterday with the Docter red dot installed. He milled out two slots on the rib just behind the rear sight. The red dot mounts against the rear sight to help prevent forward movement. This weekend will test it out at the range and report back.

[MHC, by the way, thanks for the offer to test drive the Aimpoint. I just saw your post or I would have acknowledged it sooner.]

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very pleased with the red dot set up and functionality. I was candidly surprised at how much easier the red dot is to use compared to irons. I think the real test will be durability and how well it holds zero while being hunted and banged around in the field. First target is with the Heym with the Docter Optic. Second target is a Sig red dot sight that I put on a .458 Win Mag built on a Springfield action. Six shots on the Heym, seven shots on the Springfield. Both targets shot at 50 yards off of sticks. I will confess to having been a red dot skeptic but I am coming around.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you be so kind as to post a photo of the sight installed on the barrel?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sure.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Others I have seen have been set closer to the receiver. Why did you and JJ decide to set yours farther out?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37890 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
This may be the first of its kind. JJ said that he mounted this one further out so that it would sit against the rear sight and the rear sight would prevent the sight from moving forward under recoil. Since I do not have experience with the other mounting style I cannot offer an opinion on which is preferable. I can say that this one works fine, I have no problem getting a good view, you can easily shoot with both eyes open. I guess I am JJ's guinea pig, but it seems to work great.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Can a "red dot" style site be mounted without altering the double?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Can a "red dot" style site be mounted without altering the double?

On the newer Heyms they can. Heym builds them ready to accept the Docter red dot sight according to information I received from Chris.

Thanks for posting the photos. Been thinking of adding some type of red dot to my Chapuis.

Does the sight return to zero if you remove it?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Does the sight return to zero if you remove it?

Not sure, have not done that experiment.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Nice rig.

Your fellow Texan, Mike Streetman, used the same sight on his 500 K-gun when he shot the nice ellie with Jonny Hulme earlier this month.

It was an 80 yard shot in fading light to boot.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great set-up with minimal intrusion of the classic lines. Love to see that 458 set up too. I am planning to add a Vortex Sparc to my Mark X.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote