THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Aimpoint Micro H-1 vs. Docter Optic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint Micro H-1 vs. Docter Optic
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I am considering putting a red dot sight on my Heym .500 NE. Want to ensure reliability, ease of use (in making adjustments), durability, etc.

Question:
Which red dot would you go with and why?

Choices:
Aimpoint Micro H-1
Docter Optic

Mike

Posts: 21420 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I have two of the Docter Optics,one is mounted on my 1886 475 Turnbull,the other I use on both my Heym's,I have shot hundreds of rounds using these sights,no problems so far,easy to adjust.

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I am looking at doing the same thing on my Chapuis. I have a Recknagel pivot mount for a red dot sight to swap back and forth with the standard scope. I'm between the Leupold and the Burris mini red dots. The Leupold is water clear while the Burris is $200 less. Once I get one bought and mounted I'll report.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris Fastfire II on my AR-10. I would give strong consideration to one on my double...if I decided I had to have one...which I might.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36900 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
The Docter will seem more open to you and the Aimpoint a bit more 'tunneled' IME with them.

I would go with the Docter.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike I have the micro h n my browning BLR308 for bear hunting. When one pics up the rifle and just like a shotgun aiming the dot appears in front of you both eyes open. battery change simple and last s a long time.
I truly enjoy shooting this way. Very fast acquisition.
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I am really undecided, but the Aimpoint seems more solid to me, it is waterproof and I like fact that the adjustments are more akin to scope adjustments (click adjustments up/down and left/right). On the other hand the Docter seems to have a longer track record of being used successfully on doubles and is lighter so presumably the mount will hold up better on a big caliber.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I have a Burris Fastfire II on my AR-10. I would give strong consideration to one on my double...if I decided I had to have one...which I might.

I bought the Burris FastFire II originally to mount on my Sabatti 500 NE, which went back to Cabela's for a refund. I then decided to mount it on my RSM .458Lott for Elephant last month. I shot well over 100 full house rounds prior to departure. It worked great and the rifle shoots to POA with the red dot. I mounted it in the forward base so as to avoid bolt interference.

While I do recommend it, there are some similar devices on the market now that allow for a much simpler battery change without dismounting the device.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The battery location is the main drawback I see. Even though it lasts a long time Mr. Murphy guarantees that the battery will go out when you aren't in a position to re-sight your rifle. I keep thinking they will come out with a Fastfire III with a slide out battery holder.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen please answer one nagging question for me in regard to all of these types of sights!

Does the dot remain centered with adjustment or does it move about the screen???????????????????? Confused
A sight with an off center cross hair or dot
is distracting. Most of the older Euro scopes were the off center type!

When I was very young I hated scopes on rifles because most didn't remain centered in the scope,and eye relief was too short, so I stuck to iron sights till I found scopes that had the crosshair always centered!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Further tidbit. I have talked to both JJ and Chris and they both recommend the Docter Optic red dot. Experience in terms of durability and reliability with the Docter Optic red dot has been good. Both admit, however, to having limited experience with the Aimpoint. Curious that while there are a number of folks that have recommended the Aimpoint in the poll, none (other than Mike) have weighed in to express why.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, All the red dot sights I have tried had a centered dot just like a rifle scope. Most of the reflex types also are pretty generous as to your head position being a little off and the dot is still on target.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I bought the Burris FastFire II originally to mount on my Sabatti 500 NE, which went back to Cabela's for a refund. I then decided to mount it on my RSM .458Lott for Elephant last month. I shot well over 100 full house rounds prior to departure. It worked great and the rifle shoots to POA with the red dot. I mounted it in the forward base so as to avoid bolt interference.

While I do recommend it, there are some similar devices on the market now that allow for a much simpler battery change without dismounting the device.

Agreed! The battery change if at the wrong time would not be good. Is the Docter easier to change the battery???

If not...I have shot both and prefer the Burris Fastfire...for less than half the price.

A lot of competition shootes shoot them on both AR's and 1911's...I would think if it stood up to high-levels of 1911 .45 ACP fire...it would hold up fine on a double.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36900 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Mike,
give Doug Turnbull a call,they have tried a few different sights on their lever guns,I recall him making some comments on what he preferred on his guns,he is a very helpful person to talk to.

DRSS

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Gentlemen please answer one nagging question for me in regard to all of these types of sights!

Does the dot remain centered with adjustment or does it move about the screen???????????????????? Confused

When I was very young I hated scopes on rifles because most didn't remain centered in the scope,and eye relief was too short, so I stuck to iron sights till I found scopes that had the crosshair always centered!

Now you just close both eyes and pull both triggers....but it seems to work for you!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The red dot is centered and does not move.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
quote:

Now you just close both eyes and pull both triggers....but it seems to work for you!

........................ jumping

May as well close them Roscoe! The macular degeneration is moving fast! Eeker

My dad was totally blind when he died at a young 65 yrs old, and I’m in my 75th year, so scopes are looking better all the time on my doubles! I'm about to mount a scope on my 9.3X74R double as we speak!

I'm making ready!.............. diggin

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Mac,
There are a lot of dead hogs in Brady that wish your vision wasn't as good as it is!
Keep shooting my friend. We have a lot more BS to swap!

Roscoe

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
The red dot is centered and does not move.

Mike

Thanks Mike that is what I needed to know, because though my eyesight is failing I'm opposed to mounting a scope on my 470NE double, but one of the little refex sights might just be the ticket for the 470. I'm interested in the fiber optic reflecx sight made by Trijicon that uses no batteries! That is if it remains centered as well.

................................. old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac. Be sure and look through one of the Trijicon units before you buy it. To my old eyes the non-illuminated dot wasn't bright enough to be useful in all conditions.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
Mac. Be sure and look through one of the Trijicon units before you buy it. To my old eyes the non-illuminated dot wasn't bright enough to be useful in all conditions.

I'll do that! I've looked through both the Burris, and Doctor optics sights and both seem fine as far as bright goes. However I'm not fond of red reticles. I have two illuminated scopes with red dots or complete reticles and that tend to disappear on a black buffalo, bear or Boar! The human eye detects GREEN better than any other color!

Nikon makes an illuminated dot at the apex of the reticle and the scope has a select switch that offers red if turned left, and green if turned right! Sells for a little over $700, and the Doctor is a little over $500, while the Burris is much cheaper than the other two, but seems to hold up well according to Rusty, and others, so may be the best in the long run!

My eyes are really getting bad fast so it is simply a matter of time, but if I can set a couple of my doubles up now I might be able to extend for a couple of years! Time is not my friend in this case!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zeroing a Doctor sight takes me up to 15 rounds, vs 3 for a scope, and you have to renew the process each time you change batteries !!!!

Also the zeroing screws are quite soft, and you ruin their heads in no time, if you don't have the proper screwdriver with you.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, Be sure and look at the Leupold Delta Point as well. I think it is the only one that is not made in Southeast Asia and it seems to be solid.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
This has not been my experience,they are actually quite quick and easy to adjust,the right screwdriver comes with the sight.QUOTE]Originally posted by bobby van der Putten:
Zeroing a Doctor sight takes me up to 15 rounds, vs 3 for a scope, and you have to renew the process each time you change batteries !!!!

Also the zeroing screws are quite soft, and you ruin their heads in no time, if you don't have the proper screwdriver with you.[/QUOTE]

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Mac,
I have two of the doctor sights,the first one cost me about $500.00,I paid only only around 250 for the second one from CDNN.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I understand that pistols and double rifles are different but here's my 2 cents:

I find it harder to pickup the dot on a screen sight than on a tube sight.

Are there any screen sights that have battery doors?

I have 2 Fastfires and a traditional ultradot.

Posts: 6445 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However I'm not fond of red reticles. I have two illuminated scopes with red dots or complete reticles and that tend to disappear on a black buffalo, bear or Boar! The human eye detects GREEN better than any other color!

Nikon makes an illuminated dot at the apex of the reticle and the scope has a select switch that offers red if turned left, and green if turned right! Sells for a little over $700, and the Doctor is a little over $500, while the Burris is much cheaper than the other two, but seems to hold up well according to Rusty, and others, so may be the best in the long run!

My eyes are really getting bad fast so it is simply a matter of time, but if I can set a couple of my doubles up now I might be able to extend for a couple of years! Time is not my friend in this case!

Mac,

Only reflex I know of that uses a green sight is one made by Primary Arms: http://www.primaryarms.com/Pri...lex_Sight_p/pamr.htm

I don't have one, but the reviews on the sight have all been good to great. Not sure if anyone is using them on anything recoiling like a 470.

Downside - 5 MOA versus the 3.5 or 4 on the others. And no on off switch - comes with a cover that you put on that turns it off.

Upside - good reviews and it is $75.

I have scopes with both red and green illuminaiton, and the green is quicker to pick up and, like the red, does not impair your night vision.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Docter Optic on several different rifles.

It is my favorite red dot. For a rifle you want the 3.5 MOA Dot.

The DO automatically adjusts to the ambient light conditions.

Heym has a very good mounting system for the DO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might also look at the Leupold prismatic sight. It is essentially a 1x illuminated scope in a small package. Normal crosshairs.

Few serious competitive shooters use the Burris, they dont last. C-More dominates

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I have JJ installing a Docter Optic on my Heym .500 NE. I will give a report once I get it back. As polls go, this one is certainly nip and tuck.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mac check out

http://www.aimpoint.com/us/pro...product/Micro%20H-1/

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint

Durability, dependability, stupid long run time, battery changes and Aimpoint Customer Service & 10yr warranty.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
If you want something that you can trust, well look at this:

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

Torture test of Aimpoint Micro.

Cheers

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Mike I have the micro h n my browning BLR308 for bear hunting. When one pics up the rifle and just like a shotgun aiming the dot appears in front of you both eyes open. battery change simple and last s a long time.
I truly enjoy shooting this way. Very fast acquisition.
Mike

+1

I have an Aimpoint T-1 on an 870 it has been on (dot Illuminated) for three years as of july, I just changed the battery a few weeks ago, just because. For durability it has few peers. It also has 11 brightness settings, the higher ones actually hurt my eyes, I cant imagine a situation where the 4 moa dot on the Aimpoint could be lost on a target. And watch the Daniel Defence torture test, The Aimpoint is worth every penny imho.

posted Hide Post
I think both are plenty strong and durable. I know of Docter sights that have been riding on top of the slide of .38 super 1911 handguns for more than 20 000 rounds without any ill effects.

I have personally tried the Docter, Burris Fastfire and the JPoint on handguns for competition and hunting. The JPoint is not very good optically, it distorts the image and steals a lot of light. The Burris is better and the Docter better still (I have never compared any of them to the Aimpoint side by side).
Another option is the C-More STS. Optically it seems to be about as good as the Docter, and the battery can be changed without removing the sight.

http://cmore.com/sts.html

I believe I would go with this one if I were to mount a red dot sight on my double. This type of sight is smaller, can be mounted a bit lower and would look a bit less offensive than the Aimpoint on a nice double in my opinion

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Doctor on my 470 Chapuis. I put it on because the gun didn't fit me and busted my cheek to a pulp every time I tried to get the sites lined up. The bonus is that I seem to pick up the target better with the red dot. Granted I am getting older, and never shot open sites well anyway, but I enjoy the gun now where I did not before. I hope to take an elephant with it in the next couple of years and maybe a buff before that. The site has been on two years and still works great with the original battery. Bottom line is it was cheaper than a restock and I learned to enjoy it.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone that would put a scope or red dot thingie on his double rifle should be stringhaultered and gilflurted..That's just wrong, goes against all thats holy, a pox on all of you sissies! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42012 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

I just found out that Heym builds a rifle so you can install the DO on the stock factory barrel (no extra charge).

Perhaps your rifle is already designed to accept the DO sight.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

On current rifles, Heym builds the rifle so you can install the DO on the stock factory barrel (no extra charge).

Perhaps your rifle is already designed to accept the DO sight.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t like the fiber optic sights as they rely on ambient light. When you really really need to see the dot it can wash out.
The battery life on any of the sights is probley long enough you can put new batteries in before a big trip/hunt and never worry about the batt going bad.
Don’t get to obseive about the dot being in the center. The great advantage of the red dot is all you have to do is see the dot and get the dot on what you want to hit. The dot = where the bullet will hit kind of like a laser. The dot never has to be centered in the tube. I don’t see the tube just the dot.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote