THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Shotgun converted double rifle question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun converted double rifle question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted
I've seen it noted that some double rifles started out as shotguns. Anyone know what the process is and possible platforms?

What're the pros/cons of such a gun and does anyone still offer this kind of conversion?

Thanks

Jim

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
If you want a double rifle, buy a double rifle.

There are gents out there that can do a good job, but it will never be worth what the real deal is, and if you ever decide to sell it no matter how good the conversion is-- it will still be poo-pooed on.

Just some thoughts,

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
MY opinion - Ed, I am NOT calling you out, though you hit a pet peeve of mine

if well done, it could resemble an ORIGINAL double gun. While not a "bilot from design" double, only a snob would call you out for one properly done.

it IS the real deal.. regulated, 2 barrels, in a "proper" for action caliber, and perhaps even two triggers...

it would be closer to the "real deal" than a blazer .. and NO ONE claims those arent double rifles,

Only a fool says a searcy isn't "the real deal" though some (not me) argue its not a <extended pinky> "proper gun"

Its all a question of what YOU want, and what you WANT to afford.

I have a couple i've built from shotguns .. they AINT pretty, but they are 2 barrels, 2 triggers, flanged rounds.. not well executed, but i am getting better.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Jeff no offence taken, just trying to help a guy get a good value in his first double.

I have handled and shot quite a few doubles in my time, around 100 different "makes and modeles" a few of those were even converted shotguns. I will say even the best done were not in the same class as the Merkel (which was the least expensive make)

The one Searcy BSS that I held felt like a 2x4 and I'd tell Butch that myself. Yep, it was a double rifle alright, 2 triggers two barrels. ect.

If that is all it takes to make a good double rifle is two triggers and two barrels, man I'm truly drinking the coolaid.

Feel, point-ability, and balance make good double rifle. After you shoot a quality double there is no going back.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
BigFats,
You have a PM

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that people praise to High Heaven an 8lb DB goose gun in 12 gauge, but think a pound added between the hands turns it into a brick.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought my first double and it is a .470NE by Butch Searcy and was built on a shotgun action so I'm not qualified to make a comparison of what a new one on a rifle receiver feels like but if it feels any better than mine,hell,I just couldn't stand shooting it.

"This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok. "

Posts: 54 | Location: Brandon, Ms. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I built a couple of double rifles on shotgun actions a few years ago, they felt like the real thing, and would consistantly place the first two shot on a statdard playing card at 100 yds every time from cool barrels. I've shot several of the BSS actioned rifles made by Butch, and I never found any one of them to be a fence post, and you couldn't ask for better accuracy, from the "REAL THING".

Haveing said that, I still agree with ED on the best idea is to buy a good used Merkel, or Chapuis instead. The shotgun conversion will never be considered as a desireable double rifle no matter how well done. It will always be considered coming from the "SECONDS SHELF"!To top that off unless you can perform all the work yourself, the conversion will cost you as much as a good used newly made double like the Merkels, and Chapuis, and you will still have only a "MAKE DO" double rifle.

It has always been my opinion that anyone new to double rifles should always buy NEW! The reason for this is, many buy their first double rifle, and discover they are not really double rifle people. Then they need to sell to get some of their money back to buy something more to their liking. With the Conversion they will loose about half what it cost them to make it, and with the off the shelf new double rifle, they may even gain on it due to to the retail price going up all the time. I have three double rifle that I bought new, that are worth a couple thousantd dollars more than I paid for them because the retail price climed, and used ones are selling for more than they were new when I bought mine.

So! I guess what I'm really saying is, your money ahead, and better armed with a new off the shelf double rifle than with a conversion.

.................. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote