THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOOT YOUR DOUBLE(S)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOOT YOUR DOUBLE(S)?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Gents, I just curious to know what is the average number of rounds some of you put through your rifle (or rifles) over the course of a year. I probably shoot close to 200 or so. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I shoot more than most, I would estimate the round count per year in the 300 or more. My field Grade Searcy, in .500 Nitro came in last year about 5 weeks before I left for Zim and I had put at least 200 through it before I left.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
In all of my doubles a total would be 500 to 1000 rounds for 5 months of shooting season here in AK. However, I have built a heated 12x20 shed with a sliding window that is a measured 50 yards from my target stand. Next winter I will use it so shoot a bit one day each week to keep in practice in the cold and dark winters.
The above total figure is divided between 6-12 doubles that happen to be in my safe at any given time.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Since January...6 rounds.

Will be putting much more time into it come April on. Pretty typical pattern for me.

Once the weather gets miserable I usually don't shoot unless I'm buying a gun and test driving it, Got something new I'm working up a load for, Have an odd timed hunt and just recheck my zero before leaving, or have a visitor in that wants to shoot.

That's this weekend. Going to introduce a friend to the 450 3 1/4 NE. He's never shot a double. Should be fun to watch the subtle seduction of the dark side take hold. :whiz:

I shoot my bolt guns more than my double. Never kept count but I would guess 3-400 through the Bolt and 150 or so through the double a year.
Probably jack up the double ratio this year though because of having Ele booked for 2015.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Cal is that count total? I'm just trying to gage both proficiency and round count. thanks!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Cal is that count total? I'm just trying to gage both proficiency and round count. thanks!

That's total from all rifles for 5 months. Just an estimate as I don't keep log books or detailed files. Hell, the type of shot I am, half of that count may be at critters!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I easily put 300 - 400 rounds through each of my doubles every year.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 rounds per outing and 5 to 6 outings per year per rifle.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 1,000 rounds in 2 years through the Chapuis. In 6 months around 400 through the 45-70 Baikal and maybe 150 through the 30-06.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At $6 bucks a round, not as much as I should

"I gots to start reloading the 450 but I needs some dies and some heads"

Dies are not much of a problem but heads and powder seem to be

Since I am going to Zim in May to hunt ele I have been shooting about 20 rounds every weekend since, well only a couple weekends ago.
But I am getting better to where I can shoot with my eyes open

Since there are obviously some double guys perusing this thread I have another question

I saw recently a guy who had a sleeve over his shot gun which looked to be made of neoprene that had a gel pad where his cheek would sit on the stock. I asked him about it and where I might get one, but you know how those competition shot gunners are, he did not respond with much info - or politely for that matter. If I remember correctly he said I could find out my fuck ing self - or maybe it was go fu ck your self.(he ended up winning, the prick) Regardless, I have very high cheekbones and the recoil from repetitive shot gun shooting, or singular shots from my double often place a prominent bruise on my right cheek. I have checked a few shooter stores on the WWW but cant seem to find them. Anyone ever seen them and know where to acquire one?

thx in advance

Rory

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway USA and Brownells have several types of cheek pads. There are stick on models in several thicknesses and sleeve models like you saw. There is also a kit that consists of a sleeve with several foam inserts to make your comb higher if you are using optics. I use the Cheek-Eze on my 450-400 and it stops the bruise and gives me just a little higher position.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
At least 200. I kill lots of rocks , woodchucks and even one whitetail. But I prefer to shoot when it is warm.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
In 56 years of shooting double rifles, in the first 30 years I probably averaged about 100 rounds per year in each one. I usually would put about 100 rounds throw each of the rifles I was taking to Africa before leaving. In recent yrs in the seven doubles I own The 470 probably close to 100 per year, the 9,3X74R probably 150 per year, However in the last couple of years Others have shot more rounds through my doubles than I have, since I haven't been going to Alaska, Canada, and Africa for some time now I rarely shoot anything because of health problems. It seems I'm in doctors offices, and hospitals more than on a firing range, or hunting with any firearm.

........................... thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe 30 a year through the .470.

I probably will shoot more once I get the bullet casting thing down.

Given that I had to rebarrel a .416 Rigby, I really decided against shooting volume out of the expensive big guns, and do the volume shooting out of the small bores, and just shoot the big guns enough to keep my hand in with them. (maybe 40 or so rounds each of .416, .375, and a bit less out of the .470)

If I had a really cheap double I probably would burn more rounds through it.

Posts: 10645 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had 7 boxes of factory rds in 30R, think I have 2 of 180gr left. 2 of them were 165gr loads that I just blasted off to get brass. I have shot about 80 rds of handloads thru it so far. Didn't get out near as much as I wanted to last summer. Last time I shot it was about the end of Oct. Haven't finished developing loads for it yet. 180 Sierra RN seems pretty good. Hornady is about the same.
Have some 180 Partitions loaded to try next.Have to wait for some of the the snow to get gone. around here. May load some 170FN Partitions to see what they do.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Not enough!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Pretty much same as Subsailor74

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my two doubles, no more than probably 40 rounds a year, each. Seems my interests ramble around among all the old stuff and I have ended up with an eclectic collection of rifles from the 1870's through the 1920's. I tend to shoot my single shot rifles more with bolt rifles bringing up the tail end.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I have two vintage English doubles (500/465. 450/400NE). When I first got
each rifle, I worked up a load (using Graeme Wrights book) & wanted to make
sure they were accurate. Luckily, they both shoot quite well. This really
only took 10-20 shots for each. After that, I rarely shoot them, probably a
few times before each safari & then during the safari itself.

However, I do shoot SxS shotguns extensively that have the same configuration
as my doubles (2 trigger, slide safety,...) & I also shoot other open sight rifles
around the ranch.

I believe the shotgun shooting really prepares you for the using a double rifle!
Swinging onto the target, sight plane, the muscle memory of taking off the
safety with the gun mount, two triggers,...
I realize the old adage "point a shotgun, aim a rifle" comes into play, but
this seems to work for me?

If I had a new made double (Heym,VC, Searcy,..) & a bit more time, maybe
I would spend more time shooting for fun?

Jim

Posts: 519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the inputs gents. From the looks of it, I'm right at "Fleet Average" Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
3 of us go out and shoot 300-400 rounds a month when the snow is off the ground so we can recover the brass

we roll center filled tires down slope and shoot 4-6 rounds each 2-3 guys shooting so as much as 18 rounds per tire roll
4 tires per set so lots of shooting per set of 4

running 4 sets of 4 burns most of the ammo and most of the afternoon

we have developed a cull belt that you can really get the ammo out of and in to the gun fast enough to get off the next and the 3hird set of shots

the rifles are 577 ne 500 ne 450-400 and now and then the 375 flange all doubles

reduced loads for the most part lead reloads and the cull belts

its a hell of a lot of fun and keeps the eye in

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
the drill also builds hand memory to reload and keep shooting

which is much harder than it looks or sounds to be

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

You probably would have received more feedback if this topic had been set up as a "pole." If you don't know how to do that I'm sure Shootacow could help. sofa

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try to shoot the double every trip to the range, On average lately only two trips a month, usually 20 rnds a trip.

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
Jorge,

You probably would have received more feedback if this topic had been set up as a "pole." If you don't know how to do that I'm sure Shootacow could help. sofa

Well, here's my sister with a well known "pole", does that count? Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
Jorge,

Well, here's my sister with a well known "pole", does that count? Smiler

rotflmo

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote