THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    SxS shotguns for general use to support training and experience with a double rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SxS shotguns for general use to support training and experience with a double rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With the cost of ammunition and limited access to ranges that will allow heavy impact double rifles, I have been thinking about my shotguns. During my "youth" I bought the normal stuff - pumps and semi-auto's. Then I migrated to O/U's. Now ...

As noted in my other post, I'm looking for a SxS double to use CONUS for deer, hogs, etc. Carrying that thought to next logical step would be getting a SxS shotgun for clays and hunting. The European arms makers seem to mirror the styles and patterns present in their double rifles in their shotguns too so, I'm wondering what thoughts others have.

Who owns or shoots a shotgun from the manufacturer of their double rifle or something similar from a competing brand? Any Chapuis, V-C, Merkel shotgun owners care to comment?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 400gr bullet mould for my 470NE (think 400+gr designed for the 480 Ruger) and shoot it with surplus powder. I said good enough when I got a load that would stick four rounds (L-R, L-R)under six inches at 50yds with WCC-872 powder ($64 per 8lb keg).

I prefer to think of myself as frugal, "cheap" has such a tacky stigma attached to it...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapius double rifles can be fitted with a set of shotgun barrels. It is a factory option when the firearm is ordered or JJ Perodeau can do it.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I grew up with a Beretta SXS in 12 gauge that I used for water fowl, rabbits, quail, and pheasant. Put a lot of lead through that barrel.

When I bought my 470 K gun It felt right at home.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
A pretty good double of fine quality is an Ithaca 200 (?) made in Japan. I used one for years until I found that Model 12 pumps simply fit me better.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a restored Westley Richards 20 Ga SXS exactly for that purpose. Have a Searcy 500NE and 375 Flange Mag.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up "Vintagers" on Google. It's a group of fine sportsmen who get together and shoot vintage SXS shotguns. There is an annual shoot in Maryland every year...to include double rifles. The "Rocky Mountain Vintagers" shoot at a variety of venues in Colorado nd Wyoming. We have an "Elephant Hunt" every year, hosted by a recognized DR builder. SXS's are a great way to maintain te "feel" for DRs. Have fun!

Eagle One

NRA Benefactor Member
SCI Life Member
SASS Life Member
DRs (.450 NE, .375 H&H, .45-70)

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A SXS shotgun is a good idea. Would suggest double triggers so that you retain the muscle memory when you switch back to a rifle. Lots of solid GDR guns (Merkel, Simson, Sauer) floating around now at very reasonable prices for the quality of the gun.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7kongoni:
Chapius double rifles can be fitted with a set of shotgun barrels. It is a factory option when the firearm is ordered or JJ Perodeau can do it.

I think there are two problems with doing that:
1) Handling seems to be bad since the gun isn't weighted or balanced properly.
2) Cost of the barrel set will exceed the cost of a similar quality gently used shotgun.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis used to make a SXS 12 ga with rifle sights and regulated for Brenneke slugs. I have one and it is really nice but only weighs about 5 lbs. Shooting a SXS shotgun is great practice for a double rifle.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Chapuis used to make a SXS 12 ga with rifle sights and regulated for Brenneke slugs. I have one and it is really nice but only weighs about 5 lbs. Shooting a SXS shotgun is great practice for a double rifle.

Although not cataloged by Chapuis they will still make them on request. The down side is that they will cost nearly as much as the current UGEX model rifle

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I could find something like that for a reasonable price, I'd be all over it. Especially after following Nitro450exp's rebarrel of the the 16 gauge SxS, 20 ga. DR Build thread, follow along if you wish.

Best Regards,
Sid

Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just find a good double shotgun and fit some sights to it. I shoot Wolf slugs in my guns and they shoot close enough for playing.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True story: when I was 10 years old I had a Fox 410 double (still have it). I would peruse the pages of the 1963 Shooters bible for double rifles ($750), and dream of them, but that much money then was astronomical. I didn't have any slugs, just shot loads, but I would pretend it was a DR anyway. (My crazy uncle would shoot .44 mags out of his 410 shotgun, but I wasn't that brave. Another true story; when I was stationed at Ft Stewart, I had a Savage 12ga double (which I actually bought in Korea but that is another story) that I sold to a friend. He cut off the barrels to 20 inches, put sights on it, and it would shoot slugs on top of each other at 50 yards. He owned several other BP doubles that would not come close to that. Anyway, it shows that shotguns can be a lot of fun if you don't have a real DR.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
quote:

If I could find something like that for a reasonable price, I'd be all over it. Especially after following Nitro450exp's rebarrel of the the 16 gauge SxS, 20 ga. DR Build thread, follow along if you wish.

Does anyone have a reasonable guess of what it would cost to fit a pair of rifled barrels similar to what Nitro450exp did? Who would forum members recommend that doesn't have a really long waiting list and isn't charging a premium for a big name due to publicity in the main stream gun rags (I don't want to put $9K into a $1K shotgun)?

Best Regards,
Sid

Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have your DR "custom" (or as we say here in England "bespoke") made and stocked to fit the measurements will actually be DIFFERENT from those of a "custom" (or "bespoke") side-by-side shot gun. That is fact. Holland's will also tell you as much.

The reason? Your DR is stocked to put point of impact of bullet to point of aim of gun. Your side-by-side shot gun is stocked to put 60% of the shot charge ABOVE point of aim and 40% below point of aim. In other words to shoot HIGH.

And that's why these "combo" guns with a set of shot gun barrels don't make good shot guns as they cannot be stocked "right" for both use as a DR and use as a SXS.

So for the same man your DR will have slightly more drop and usually a slightly shorter stock. For that reason I'd go with IDAHO SHARPSHOOTER and his very sound advice. Use a cast lead bullet and practice with that in your DR. You could even for higher velocity with softer bullets expertiment with paper patching!

Not only will it give you good practice with your actual rifle but also good practice handling correct size cartridges and putting them into DR sized chamber holes!

Nothing wrong in buying and enjoying a side-by-side shot gun, that's for sure, but don't expect practice with the one to be anywhere worthwhile or meaningful practice for using your DR.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go SXS you might consider a Win model 21. Probably the heaviest SXS out there (mimmics the weight of a rifle) and most have pistol grip as does a SXS rifle. Might be a bit of a problem locating one with double triggers.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or try a Stoeger Coach Gun which is a bit heavy, has 20 inch tubes, and has 2 triggers.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't swear to it but I would bet that shooting slugs in a double could teach one to point shoot..and that is something that ever DG hunter should learn to do with any rifle at least up to 25 yards an its not that hard to do and only requires a minimum of practice for most folks..At 5o yards its twice as hard but very dooable.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote