Tools

Single vs Double triggers
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
Well, we've pretty much shot this one out (no pun intended).

But not a single one of you can deny that a single trigger hurts the resale value / current valuation on any Double Rifle...

...Anybody dare dispute that fact?

JW

................... NO! Roll Eyes

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is the only reason I bought another one. You couldn't give me a DT DR!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19340 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Yes, it is the only reason I bought another one. You couldn't give me a DT DR!

jumping jumping jumping

Will, I've got a couple of double rifles that have two triggers, that I've been just dieing to give away! Where do you want me to ship them?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD:

I understand what you're saying. I'll do my best to explain my point.

quote:
Originally posted by J D:My SXS and over and under shotguns all have screw in chokes, I don't see a disadvange to pulling the rear trigger first.

I do. One of the things that has me sold on double shotguns and rifles both is the flexibility of instant choice of different choke; shot size; shot charge/bullet type. Of course the value of this is dependent on what you're hunting and under what conditions.

I made the pilgrimage to South Dakota for pheasant every year for a long time. These were wild birds, faster and tougher than pen-raised. I used a SXS IC/MOD 20 with a SST. I normally used 1 oz 6s in the right barrel, and 3" 1 1/4 oz buffered copper plate 6s in the left. If I missed a flushing rooster on the rise with the right, the left had the tighter choke and heavier charge of hard 6s that was more certain on the longer stern shot. For a long crosser over the corn, I usually had time to select the left barrel first. It was a valuable flexibility that came in really handy many, many times. Double triggers would certainly have made the selection faster though.

quote:
Is there a disadvantage to pulling the rear trigger on a double rifle?

You'll ususally be loaded with the same bullet type in both barrels when hunting with a double rifle, and it won't matter then. However, you may ocassionally want a barrel of each. No matter how you set it up, what if you're then presented with a shot that only whatever is in the right/under barrel is suitable for? If you've relied on the "rear trigger first" short-cut through the double trigger learning curve, you don't have that flexibility - not without the risk of a double discharge, perhaps under circumstances in which a DD may be a hazard.

quote:
Since I am training to hunt dangerous game, is it not best to use a method that avoilds the two most common shooter caused problems with double triggers.

Not if you want to learn it well enough to get the most out of the type. "Rear trigger first" is a crutch used to avoid having to do something that the shooter isn't comfortable with yet, not a superior method.

I'll admit that, having never had a problem with double triggers, I'm probably at a disadvantage when trying to help those that do. I can only rely on having observed others with those problems.

It seems to me that pulling the front trigger twice speaks of a complete dearth of practice with the gun. I can't imagine a shooter with even a very modest volume of shells through it doing this.

The double discharge issue seems more problematic, even though the cause - and the cure - is simple in the extreme. If the trigger finger slips off the front trigger under recoil, only blind luck will prevent a double discharge. Trigger pull weight has little to do with it, as only an unusably heavy pull weight on the rear trigger would effectively prevent it. The problem is trigger control. Guys that have problems with DTs only need to find the technique that keeps their finger mounted on the front trigger under recoil.

Watching the "double dischargers" at the DRSS events in recent years, most are "first digiters" (they put the trigger in the first half of the pad of the first digit of the trigger finger. Not to start a separate debate, but this has always struck me as a piss poor way of controlling a trigger, especially on a hard kicking rifle), which isn't surprising as that is how most were taught to shoot. While lots of guys who address the trigger in this way have no trouble with double triggers, this seems to be a common denominator with those that do. For those that do have trouble, it never seems to occur to them that they may need to change their trigger finger technique...and even if it does, having done it that way all of their lives makes it a hard habit to break. Short fingers are also an obvious handicap.

Make sure that the LOP is correct for you. If it's too short, recoil can break the grip of the shooting hand and cause the trigger finger to slip. Don't let the shoulder collapse under recoil, as this can have the same result. Roll with it. Try putting the trigger in the first joint, as this will help keep it mounted on the front trigger through the recoil impulse.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Try putting the trigger in the first joint, as this will help keep it mounted on the front trigger through the recoil impulse.

Bingo!

When measuring LOP, it should be from the first joint, not the pad of the index finger.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, you points or well taken.
and do make sense. I will give it a try.
What do you have your triggers set at?
I do a lot of offhand pratice with 2 oz target shilo rifles,it may get interesting?

thanks
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
I do a lot of offhand pratice with 2 oz target shilo rifles,it may get interesting?

shocker Yeah, I'll bet that DOES get interesting.

I like mine around three pounds, both triggers.

Did I understand that you are in the N. O. area. If so, you should consider coming over to our next DRSS event in June in Brady, Texas. It's always balls to the wall fun.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burn gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
400...When in Brady???

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff

Friday, June 15 to Monday, June 18, 2007 at the 4K Ranch.

Jim

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
400...When in Brady???

JW

Jeff:

You have a PM.